Baby won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouLou1994

Hi everyone!

I'm a new (and proud) owner of a baby bearded dragon named Chester (after my hero Chester Bennington), however, I have had him for 4 days now and he barely eats anything alive. Might be relocation stress, but I discovered that he is terrified of crickets and anything that runs around (though the pet shop fed him those while he was still with his siblings). He puffs his beard and actually runs away - bit me once when I tried to hand feed them *ouch*. I tried putting him in another container but he vehemently detested that. He will eat 2 or 3 mealworms from a dish per day (though not particularly recommended which is why I need to find something else). He LOVES dandelion leaves and kale with sprinkled calcium - will even eat that from my hand. He is very active, poops daily, lets me handle him often, so I believe he is healthy. His vivarium is just under 4ft by 2ft, his temperatures are, according to professional recommendations, optimum for good health, he has places to hide and climb with plenty of light. I hand-bathe him with warm water, which he likes enough, so he should be hydrated.

I want to try other insects (dubias, locusts etc) but they might stress him out further. I am considering feeding him canned insects - apparently just as nutritious as a staple food - and want to try him on that until he is a little older.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much information as possible. I'm an anxious worrier by nature, even though Chester could just be a little nervous himself right now. If anyone has any opinions on canned insects or would like to offer other options, I will take any information gladly and gratefully.

Thank you :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like you're taking very good care of Chester and he's a live wire. :) He should eat ive crix, babies are sometimes overwhelmed when everything is new and crickets are crawling all around them. Don't use the freeze dried or canned, they lack much of what the live food can offer.

You can try this trick to get him to eat live crickets : Just put a few at a time them in a jar with a pinch of calcium powder, give them a good hard shake until you see they are wobbly + partly incapacitated. [ Poor buggers ] Then drop them 1-2 at a time near him. Babies will usually pounce on the slow moving crix. Just add more + more as he eats each batch.

LouLou1994

Original Poster
Hi,

Thank you so much for replying. I will try that method. I gave him about 4 crickets at once, but they probably did overwhelm him. Having them drunk on dizziness (in my imaginings) might even help with catching ones that are left instead of nabbing them out of the air armed with a bucket lol. I have heard a freezer works as well to make them slow but have yet to try doing anything like that - plus knowing me I'd leave them in too long :eek:.

LouLou1994

Original Poster
Hi,

Quick update on Chester:

Crickets dont seem to be working for him - even when all shook up. He ignores them, looking at me like: "is that it?". It was much easier getting them back in their tub though.
The pet shop I got him from gave me some wax worms (like dragon candy, I suppose) to get him going. They said he might be a bit picky. He had no problem wolfing those down. Gave him about 3 in a pot to give him some fat and protein. Ill start giving him about 3 a week. I ordered some Calci worms online and he got about 10 of those down him yesterday when I left them out, plus a good few just this morning. Apparently roaches can't climb ceramic trifle dishes so I'll get some of those too for a bit of variety. I think hell be okay - I might be seeing a chubby little lizard in the next month. ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that he likes Phoenix worms, waxworms aren't too great though.

He was just being picky really, some pet store dragons are fed mainly mealworms + waxworms and will hold out for those rather than eat crickets. :)

ChristinaMike

Hatchling Member
To add here... I discovered mine like roaches over crickets lol I got snubbed giving crickets but go to town on roaches so i don't even bother with crickets any more lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom