Baby won't eat crickets, but chases. No greens either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabySmaug

Smaug continues to attack the crickets - looking at their box intently through the tank but once they are inside his house, he refuses to eat them.

He's not had any food in three to four days now except one cricket two days ago.

He's active enough around the tank so we're pretty sure he's over his relocation stress. But he won't touch the crickets, just stare at them. He won't eat them.

My phoenix worms don't come in for a few days! Help?

He's also taken the greens I give him out of his plate/bowl and drug them across the tank, only to sit on them! Wtf?

zach2mama

One of the kind experts on this board suggested that I put the crickets for 30-60 minutes prior to giving them to my baby beardie and once I did that he ate like a champ. I also learned to only put them in one and at time (because it is so hard to get them out if he doesn't eat them). They also suggested that if you are feeding him bigger crickets to pull the wings off. I buy the smallest crickets available so I do not have to do this.

Are you also feeding him his greens? When my baby had a problem with being impacted I put some applesauce on his nose so he would eat something. The next day he went poo and has eaten like a champ ever since.

Definitely not an expert on beardies. However, this advice did work for me.

Michele

BabySmaug

Original Poster
I put them in one at a time but I put three in because I was going to be gone for a while (silly work). He didn't touch any of them.

And yeah, he's not touching greens yet either. Just drags them across the tank and sits there.

zach2mama

I have leaned to feed 1-2 crickets at a time. Zach is up to 10 at one feeding but no where near the 50 some people indicate he should be eating. Its all a new adventure every day isn't it.

Zach does eat most of his greens and butternut squash plus approximately 20 dusted and refrigerated crickets a day. I have an order of phoenix worms coming so hoping he eats more of those. Obviously he is growing though since he is at his first shed. I am going to attempt to measure him this weekend and take pictures to post.

Hope all works out for you!

Michele

neecie

Juvie Member
You'll be happy with the Phoenix................small and very acceptable. I've told others, in a pinch, the baby food meat in the jar, works good --- they like it licked off a spoon. some folks have it for emergency. I only feed crickets in another small 10 gal tank, then when she's not eating any more, I take her out to her OWN house and put back the crickets in their container. Alternate, phoenix, silkworms and crickets with veggies.
At 5 months she's doing great. 3 baths a week, and 4 times outside in sunshine. We're having fun and luckily only she's getting a fat tummy.
re

zach2mama

Ok, I got the phoenix worms today and she only ate two and didn't really seem that interested. Maybe it was too late in the day (7:00pm by the time I got home from work) or I was not doing things right. Can you advise the best way to feed? The crickets I ordered from Mulberry Farms were so small that she was not a bit interested guess I need to go a couple of sizes up next time.

By the way, Zachy loves collards and butternut squash so you may want to try this combo. I did buy the babyfood just in case she stopped eating again but it seems like she is much better since I got rid of the sand with the exception of wanting to dig at night when its bed time.

- Michele

neecie

Juvie Member
Hi Michele, I put Phoenix in a tiny plastic cup (Gerber baby food comes in these), and hold the cup in front of her face............maybe in a minute or two she starts snatching them up. Wait a few minutes, and do it again (so they go down and she's ready for more). Works good. Get comfortable so you can hold the cup for a little while.

BabySmaug

Original Poster
Update!

We're very excited - Smaug went through over 20 crickets today! Phoenix worms come in soon, hoping those go over a little better than the cricket-battle did. He's so active now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom