baby supers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpleman

Hatchling Member
hi i am starting my superworm breeding project and i currently have 20 beetles.. so things are going well... i have one bin that i have put all of the "invisible" eggs in and im noticing some little brown babies...and ive notices some "yellowish" baby worms moving around.... are baby worms brown/dark? or could this be some other bug that comes from wheat bran? i just want to know what color the babies should be....thanks in advance...

craig

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
I just bought superworms, and ordered smaller/baby ones with my order. The are thinner then those dried meal worms, and a tanish/light brown color.

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
Well I'm breeding superworms too. As far as I know I see a mixture. The very tiny ones are yellowish and the slightly bigger baby are brownish. I personally do not think that it's some other bugs but is supers. Hope that helps.

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
I should look into breeding them! Where did you find your information on how to do it? It sure would help me since I have 3 beardies here!

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
Well I went on Youtube. There several people that are very helpful. Most setup are all the same. For me I pick out the biggest supers and isolate each one of them with deli cups (Tackle box or oranizers with departments works well too). I dont give them food or water, some may die in the process. Well its summer now so the warm temp help them pupae faster. They first curl looking like a "c" then they will shed its skin and turn into creamy alien pupae :D. After that they will turn into a Beetle. As for the process it will take time. The more you start off with the faster and more baby supers you'll get. Keep the cycle going so whenever the old beetle dies new ones will replace them. Patients is the key to all this. At first i had perhaps 20 beetles and its been a month after since i see the substract moving (babies) yay. You can put couple of slices of potato, baby carrots, lettece. Make sure to check on the food so there's no mold b/c they will kill your colony. As for the substract i just used Regular Oats and i use egg crates for them to hide/climb (they love the dark). Youtube it and type superworms or breeding superworms, thats where i get ALL my information. I hope this helps and i hope i didnt leave anything out. Good Luck with it

simpleman

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the help and i am going to assume that what i see are baby supers... to breed them i found these craft boxes at hobby lobby for 1.99...they were by the checkout counter but im sure they have many different ones in the store.. i bought 4 of these which hold 15 worms each (holds 60 worms total) and previously i bought 2 screw/nail organizers from home depot for 12 bucks each... they have four differnet compartments in each. each compartment holds 16 worms, so i have 128 worms between the two....there are a few websites that i got all of my info from and here they are:

http://www.wormman.com/breeding_superworms.cfm

http://hubpages.com/hub/Superworms

http://mealwormstore.com/raising_mealworms.php

it is really easy, just need patience... i suggest you buy 1000 worms and use a couple hundred to breed and feed what you need....and then replace and repeat until you have established a colony

the only issue i am having is that the beetles like to eat each other...so ive switched them to a bigger enclosure so im hoping this helps..

here is what i do for the baby worms....

after the beetles have lived in a "shoebox" container for 2 weeks, i take all of the wheat bran that they were living in and i pour it into one big container and i have been doing this for a month or so...and everytime i transfer the beetles to a fresh bed of wheat bran so they can make more babies... my process seems to be working so far and it has been quite inexpensive.. i think i have invested maybe 50 bucks in worms and materials....and potatoes...lots of potatoes.....

i hope this helps and feel free to pm for questions....

craig morel jr.

brandice

There is a great thread with tons of helpful info on breeding supers. viewtopic.php?f=76&t=100703
I've started my own colony with the info provided there. I'm up to about 30 beetles, waiting for my other aliens to finish morphing. All my beetles morphed within the last week or so so it's still pretty early in the game for me but everything thus far has been successful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom