baby not eating, sleeping all day, eyes closed all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurtisT

Hey everyone,
I got my dragon about 2 months ago at six weeks old and he has been doing fine and eating well ever since a couple days ago. He suddenly stopped eating and he doesn't open his eyes anymore at all. He doesn't really move and it seems like he is also holding his breath a lot. He just sits in his basking spot all day.
Could this be brumation because he is so young? Or do you think he's sick?
I have a 65 watt basking bulb at 110 degrees and a reptisun 10.0 t5 ho bulb.
I have been bathing him every couple days but he doesn't move. Just sits in the water till I take him out.
The only time he moves a little bit is when I pick him up for his bath.

What could it be ?

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
impaction? what was he eating before he stopped?
nope, not brumation. too young, and in brumation they seek the cooler areas of their environment.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. How are you taking temps? What kind of basking light? Also what size is his enclosure? Is the reptisun a coil, compact or tube?

CurtisT

Original Poster
I have an infrared temperature gun. The tank is about 30 gallons. It's a 22" t5ho bulb so a fluorescent tube.

shaninja

That happened to me when I first got my beardie. He was eating fine for about a week when he didn't want much to do with food anymore and on some days was only eating 2 crickets and no veggies. He didn't want to move and just laid there a lot, not doing much of anything. I would get a fecal done asap as it can be parasites causing this problem. Parasite problems can also quickly dehydrate them. You can check for dehydration by lightly pinching the skin on the back to see if the fold stays tented or returns to the normal position. If its tented or takes a few seconds to return, then your beardie is dehydrated. Eating while having parasites can cause stomach pain. You need to get a fecal done and continue bathing him in warm water while rubbing his tummy gently. This will stimulate the need to poop if he is impacted. Good idea to get a blood test done as well. You never know if something more serious is going on and its good to check kidney function before administering any meds as well. Good luck!

RangeR

Just to let you know in the sep, oct, nov months a lot of dragons kinda do a mini burmate where they dont eat much if anything and sleep alot. Its kinda like hibernation. Its their instincts even though your set up has high temps.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, a beardie only 2 months old should not be brumating, not even semi-brumating. He should be very active and have a large appetite if there are no health issues. Would recommend having a fecal checked asap.

When you use your temp gun, how close are you holding it to the area you're checking?

What is the distance of the UVB bulb and is the UVB right alongside his basking bulb?

How often are you dusting with calcium & vitamins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom