Baby Hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm not Kyle, that's h0ndap0w3r...but I can see where the confusion comes from lol... but to answer your question yes, I may sell/trade some

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
Original Poster
few more eggs today :lol:
IMAG0277.jpg

quigleysmom

Juvie Member
Every had a problem with the big ones biting your bearies? I am concerned about that. Also, could you go over your set up? I would like to try to breed them as a science experiment that I can ultimately feed to my two dragons.

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have never had a problem feeding full size worms. I feed them to my Dragons, my Veiled Chameleon, and my Savannah Monitor with no problems. Though I have heard they can inflict a decent bite. I have been bit by them, it's a nice little pinch,(enough to catch you offguard and fling one across the room haha) but not enough to make me bleed or anything.a friend showed me a website, if you google The Manduca Project, it pretty much goes over everything, enclosure and all.

forum1983

Hatchling Member
Honda99300ex":17cvtywe said:
I have never had a problem feeding full size worms. I feed them to my Dragons, my Veiled Chameleon, and my Savannah Monitor with no problems. Though I have heard they can inflict a decent bite. I have been bit by them, it's a nice little pinch,(enough to catch you offguard and fling one across the room haha) but not enough to make me bleed or anything.a friend showed me a website, if you google The Manduca Project, it pretty much goes over everything, enclosure and all.

Honda99300ex: I've been thinking of raising my own hornworms and have been doing some serious research on the topic and I found just about everything I need I even read through the Manduca Project's website and they have a lot of great information, including how to construct a rearing box for the adults. I saw this thread, specifically your picture above with eggs on some string or yarn, do you not use a plant for the adults to lay on? I like everything about this process minus needing to keep a plant in a cardboard box. I would like to setup something outdoors with netting, a feeder cup (like shown in the websites instructions), and just something artificial for them to lay eggs on (like the string in your picture). Also, I live is Southern California where the temp is pretty good most of the year, would I still need the lighting setup if I have the rearing box outside? I appreciate any feedback you may have to give me. Looking to start my hornworm breading asap.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom