Baby dragon very scared and not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
I got 2, 3 month old beardies about 3 weeks ago. A male and a female. The female was a little larger when
they arrived. She has since doubled in weight. The male on the other hand has barely grown at all. I had them housed together until 4 days ago. I left him in the first tank that i set up because i didnt want to stress him out more by moving him. He is in a ten gallon tank with a ciol uvb and a heat lamp. the basking side sits at around 110 deg. and the cool side around 80 deg. the female is in the exact same set-up and doing excellent. He is a yellow hypo trans. I dont know if that makes any difference. He is 8 in. and 26
grams. He acts pertrified all the time! Tries to hide in the corner, but theres nothin to hide behind. He had been eating better since I separated him from the female. But today he wont eat at all. He does look like he is going into a shed. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks, Amy

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Well the not eating could be due to the impending shed. When housed with the female he was obviously the submissive one by nature. I think he just got so used to being submissive that he thinks thats the only way to act. I would give him at least a week to become used to his surroundings; being put in a different enclosure is a very scary thing to any dragon much less a baby one. His true personality should come out after a couple weeks. Keep us updated.

Also the coil UVB's are really no good for providing sufficient UVB exposure. I know this from personal experience.. I would at the very least switch to a linear flourescent tube UVB; the ReptiSUN 10.0 is the best you can get in the US.

Kalyn

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for responding so quickly Kalyn. I will swith them both to the other uvb bulbs asap. hope thet helps.
I just feel so bad for him he looks terrified all the time.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
I know how you feel my little guy wasn't the bravest at first either. I know its tough but try not to feel bad for the little tyke, I believe animals feel the energy that all life forms give off (emotions) try to be super happy when around him and make sure to handle him lots once hes settled into his new home. Adventures should help toughen him up! :D

Awesome that you will be getting the reptisun 10.0's! - just a couple pointers once you get them:

Make sure your babies can get within 6-8 inches of the UVB with nothing in between (screen, plastic, glass etc) best to mount it inside the tank usually.
Make sure to replace every 6 months or so as they stop giving off enough UVB after that.( I order mine a few at a time to save on shipping costs.)

What kind of substarte are you using?

Kalyn

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I have a little difficulty believing that you can establish that kind of temperature gradient in such a small tank. How are you measuring your temps?
Some animals are more sensitive than others, maybe try covering three sides of the tank with contact paper or giving him a place to hide? I'm sure he'll come around, especially if he improved after his cage mate was removed.

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have two thermometers in the tank. One right under the basking light, and one on the other end of the tank. I read that your not supposed to give baby beardies a place to hide. Thats why he doesnt have one.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds to me like everything will be perfect once you get the UVB, just be patient and keep him adventuring! I'm postivie he will grow out of this stage.

Kalyn

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Update!!! He just ate about 20 3/8" dubia. I guess im just a big worry wort! lol :p
Hes still very afraid though. I had to basically herd the roaches to him, he wouldnt go after them.
But he did eat and that is great! Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Amy

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Hehehe glad hes eating! even if hes using the " I am a stick; come near me!" hunting method lol. I think its too cute how they pretend.

Kalyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom