Baby Dragon Losing Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my dragon on Saturday and since then he's eaten maybe 15 crickets in the 3 days I've had him. I understand that relocation stress can decrease their appetite but he's beginning to look a bit thin. I thought about taking him to the vet but then that'd put him under even more stress. Should I be concerned about him losing weight or is it just a bad case of relocation stress? At what point should I take him to the vet? I was thinking if he hasn't improved by Friday I'd call the vet. Thanks for the help everyone.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it's actually quite normal for some beardies to not eat, or to eat a small amount for a week or two. A vet visit would be stressful, especially if the vet is not a true herp vet + may do things + possibly even charge you for things that are not necessary. But just to see if there's anything you can do to improve his habitat, can you list a rundown of his set up, including what type + brand of lights [ be specific ] Also how is he being hydrated ? Those things can make a difference in behavior + appetite, but it's likely just stress.

PoliticalKid

Original Poster
AHBD":2fss7g7q said:
Hi there....it's actually quite normal for some beardies to not eat, or to eat a small amount for a week or two. A vet visit would be stressful, especially if the vet is not a true herp vet + may do things + possibly even charge you for things that are not necessary. But just to see if there's anything you can do to improve his habitat, can you list a rundown of his set up, including what type + brand of lights [ be specific ] Also how is he being hydrated ? Those things can make a difference in behavior + appetite, but it's likely just stress.
Well let's see, he has a 100 watt power sun mercury vapor bulb. Before people start burning me at the stake I did a lot of research and it came highly reccomended by lllreptile who I trust. I made an informed decision to use that bulb. Just because not everyone likes it doesn't mean I can't use it. Sorry if that seems blunt but I've had people get quite rude with me about it. Anyway, he's on paper towels and I offer him fresh greens and veggies every morning. I realize he's still pretty young for salad but I want him to have the option. I offer crickets twice a day. He has a waterfall in his tank that I run for a few hours a day. I monitor the humidity and I never let it go above %25. On top of that I soak him either every day or every other day depending on how much time I have. His basking spot is around 115-110 Fahrenheit the middle of the tank is around 90-85 Fahrenheit and the cool side is usually in the high 70s or low 80s. At night he has a 50 watt red light I forget what brand, I think it's either exo terra or zoo med. His night time temp is around 75, it sometimes drops to 70. His lights go on at 6am and off at 8pm. Is there anything else you'd like to know?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No worries, I use mercury vapor bulbs myself, and have been keeping beardies for 20 years. All in all it sounds like a good set up, I would keep an eye on the waterfall though, even if 1 little cricket dies in there it can harbor a lot of bacteria. The red heat night light is not needed, I've had baby dragons overnight lows of 65 degree temps. with no problem. The red light disrupts their sleep pattern, so although I'm not burning you at the stake, I'd advise to let him have a dark tank at night. So, yes, I think it's just relocation stress....give it a while and see how he does. :)

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Just wondering why you are still using the red light when I gave you the same information on your other post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom