Baby Clover Isn't Eating! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up Baby Clover on Friday Evening. He was 6 1/2" long (snout to tail) and weighed 7 grams. On Friday night he ate 2 phoenix worms. On Saturday morning, he ate 4 phoenix worms. I tried to feed him 2 more times on Saturday but he wouldn't eat. On Sunday I got him some crickets. He ate 16 before stopping! He wouldn't eat anymore when I tried to feed him again on Sunday. Monday morning, he ate maybe 6 crickets and then seemed to get afraid of them. At lunch time on Monday, I tried feeding them to him one at a time but he wouldn't touch them. He still acted afraid. He did the same thing on Monday evening. This morning, I weighed and measured him before I fed him. He weighed 9 grams and was still 6 1/2 inches long. I put him in a container to feed him this morning and he STILL wouldn't eat.

He is having normal bowel movements. 1 on Saturday, 1 on Sunday, 2 on Monday and 1 already this morning. He is getting bathed 2 times a day to keep him from dehydrating. I hate having to take him out because he is so very stressed. I know that relocation causes them to be very stressed but at 9 grams, he can't afford to start losing weight. Here is a rundown of his viv:

-10.0 UVB Reptisun tube
-75 watt heat lamp (I can't find ANY incandescent bulbs anywhere around here above 40 watts)
-Basking temp is 103.6 and cool side temp is 80.4 (Measured with a digital thermometer with a probe)

There are 2 other bearded dragons here. Samson (my daughters dragon) is in another room. Fina is in the same room as Clover and about 12 feet away. We don't get Samson or Fina near him because I don't want to scare him.

How long should I give him before I start syringe feeding him baby food? I want to do the right thing by him but I am afraid that something I am doing is wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Here are pics of him:

ownedbyfina

Original Poster
Well, Clover is in with the crickets again. I tried them one at a time and he wouldn't eat them. I thought that maybe he was nervous because I was standing there, so I put a total of 7 of them in there and walked away. Nothing :( I have no idea what to do to make this baby eat :cry:

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Hi there! What a cutie!!! You said the last time he ate was...Monday, right? Yesterday? I wouldn't worry too much at this point. You have the correct UVB and you're checking temps, he's well hydrated...if you got him Friday and he ate like a champ at one point and the last time was yesterday...I wouldn't stress out too much yet. It's still all new to him. He might just need time to adjust. If he starts going days without eating and loses weight, becomes lethargic...of course I'd worry. I think he's ok, though. You seem to be doing a wonderful job!

Are you using supplements? Calcium w/D3? A multivitamin? Offering appropriate greens/veggies?

It sounds like you're both doing very well. Please keep us updated if things change...or if I have the wrong Monday ;)

ownedbyfina

Original Poster
The Monday I meant was yesterday (I guess I could have said that a little differently :lol: ) He is on Rep-Cal Calcium with D3 and Rep-Cal Herptivite. I make a salad mix on Sunday for all of the dragons that lasts a week. This weeks salad has bell peppers, apple, squash, grapes and mustard greens in it but he won't touch it. I can't get the vitamins or calcium in him because he won't eat at all :( That's why I am so worried about him. Thanks for replying! :) I will give him a few more days before I get really worried.

ownedbyfina

Original Poster
My oldest daughter was able to get him to eat 5 phoenix worms last night by hand feeding him! Go figure, the one who owns a snake instead of a beardie was able to get him to eat :? I fed him this morning and he ate about 10-12 dusted crickets on his own so we are moving in the right direction! :) Hopefully he will eat more for me at lunch time and again tonight. He is such a tiny baby and I just don't want him to lose weight. His head and part of his body is pale so I think he's getting ready to shed. I just hope he doesn't stop eating again like Fina does when she is shedding!

CliffsMom

Is he eating his salads yet? If not I recommend feeding him organic baby food out of an eye dropper. Try to get the veggie ones, my beardie loves butternut squash, and mix some of your supplement into it. You might have to force it into his mouth at first, but once he tastes it he should be okay.

Force-feeding baby food IS OK. It has the right food-to-liquid ratio that will keep him hydrated while he digests, and it is healthy and safe as long as it is ORGANIC, ie, has no preservatives. I use "President's Choice Organics." The ingredients are butternut squash and water :)

ownedbyfina

Original Poster
I think Clover is going in the right direction for now. He isn't interested in the vegetables at the moment but he is still very young and small. He still has access to them all day though. He is eating about 30 crickets a day. They are offered to him twice a day. He eats both times, just not a lot at one feeding. He is getting the calcium Monday through Friday and the multivitamin on Saturday and Sunday. For some reason, he prefers the crickets when they are dusted. For the afternoon feeding, he will eat a few and then run from them. He gets the dusted ones in the morning and eats all of them (I feed him until he stops which is usually about 15-20). They are small crickets so the size can't be what's scaring him. I have tried putting fewer in with him and he seems to do a little better. I weighed him yesterday. He is 7 inches long and is now at 10 grams. Not the huge weight gain I would like to see but he is going in the right direction. I'm not even sure that I can syringe feed him. He is a fast little fellow. It's a chore just to get him from his viv to the sink at bath time everyday :roll: As long as he continues to gain weight and grow, I won't try to force feed him. I know he isn't starving because he has enough energy to run from me for 5 minutes when I chase him down for his bath in the afternoon :lol:

CliffsMom

Yeah, attitude and energy level is the best indicator of health. My 1 yr old is half the average weight of a beardie his size, but he's active and alert and gaining steadily.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not 100% convinced Clover ever had a problem ;) maybe locations stress? Or perhaps Clover knows how to get the extra attention? These babies are smart and very quick learners as well as stubborn at times.

Trust me, my guy will literally pout to get his way. Clover's got you good ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom