Baby beardy acting odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud

Hi all, sorry for the mini-essay.

Ive had my little guy for just over a month now. He eats, sleeps, pee/poops, basks, sheds ect... All fine. But the last couple days he seems a bit out of sorts. He's usually bright eyed and awake from the second his lights come on, until they go out. But the last couple days he's been sleeping later in the morning and going off earlier at night. I guess this could just simply be tiredness, but its the first time ive seen it.

The one thing I just noticed today was what made me decide to make this thread. -
Apart from whatever adventures in he has during the day while I'm at work, he always lies on top of his skull ornament (his basking spot), inside the skulls ornament to be in the shade but still warm, or underneath one of the shelves in the shade where its slightly cooler.
I came home from work today and he was nowhere to be seen. I eventually found him underneath his reptile carpet, flat as a pancake and sound asleep. This was about two hours before he usually goes off to sleep, and ive never seen him use the lower level of his cage to walk about on, let alone to go sleep there.
When I pulled the carpet back and gave him a little nudge to make sure he was ok, he shot off across the viv and gave me the half open mouth like he was about to bite. This never happens either, he doesn't like being handled much but he never runs away, but I guess I just scared him. About 5 minutes after this I returned to his room and he was nowhere to be seen, I've just left him alone under the carpet for now.

I know this might seem a little silly to worry about, but its just a little different to his usual routine so I'm just curious if this is something I should be keeping an eye on.

Thanks for reading!

Ryan.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's always good to keep an eye on behavior changes - sometimes they are meaningful and sometimes we just over worry. Hiding is normal behavior, but dragons tend to be pretty bold and sit out in the open when they feel safe. It's sounds like he is regulating properly, unless his overall activity is also slowing down. If he seems to hide a lot, perhaps he is trying to avoid something, like the lights or another pet maybe.

How old is he? Winter tends to slow them down, even some younger dragons.
Have you had any dramatic changes in weather? I find that Pepper hides more on the days before and of storms or big snowfalls.

Cloud

Original Poster
He is about 12 weeks. The room I have him set up in stays the same temperature all year round pretty much (which is why I put him there). There's no other pets about to scare him, and as far as the lights, there is plenty of shade if he wants to get away.

I'll just have to keep an eye on him for now. I'm taking out the carpet for tiles soon, so he wont have that option to hide away anyways :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom