Baby beardy acting lethargic in enclosure and reduced eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that he's moving around some. They can get very moody + lose their appetite when shedding although usually not quite so severely. As for humidity, it's fine to just spritz him in the tank. I raised many clutches of babies + sprayed them daily to drink and it also helps them to shed. Just use common sense, a light spritz of the dragon + the area he's sitting in will do the job + help shedding.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
Vet update. I was able to get a fresh fecal sample to the vet. He has elevated coccadia levels and pinworms. They prescribed 3 meds, metronidazole, panacure, and ponazuril. She told me he should be eating again within 48 hours and to call if things get any worse. I have a follow up in 2 weeks.I removed everything from the enclosure and disinfected with bleach.l gave 3 hot water rinses and let it dry out well. Only things in the tank until hes better are his basking rock/hide, newspaper as substrate and a feed dish. How often should i disinfect everything? Daily? Also is thany any tricks to get him to take his meds. Im uaving serious troubles he seems to know or dont like the taste. Even when i trick him into feeding with baby food as soon as i get the meds to him he clamps his mouth shut. Even the trick up sling your finger up his lip he opens only a tiny bit not enough to get the dabble of meds in. I am only able to give him metron so far ive tried with the other 2 just to go to waste. The vet didnt have any luck neither. Any tips would be appreciated

https://imgur.com/a/nEhDrPM

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
I just read that bleach didnt work against coccidia? The vet is what recommended the bleach also the oven at 150 degrees. Should i be ok ir should i do the 10 percent ammonia method?

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Glad you figured out what's wrong with the little guy. I've never had to disinfect my tank, so I can't really help with tips for that. As far as the medicine, are you using a syringe to administer the medicine?

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
vrenee1018":pjcbjdhp said:
Glad you figured out what's wrong with the little guy. I've never had to disinfect my tank, so I can't really help with tips for that. As far as the medicine, are you using a syringe to administer the medicine?

Yeah they gave me 1cc syringes for the medecine. He needs 0.01 and 0.02ml dosages which is like a drop. Im pretty sure 2 of them he didnt get in his mouth but i dont want try anymore in fear of him overdosing. I tried a few times. I think they are starting to work though becaise when he woke up this morning he pooped 3 times. One was really bad. He had to have been backed up to cause it was about 3 x the size of normal and he had a half a undigested phoenix worm hanging out of him. I had to help it out with tweezers. Hes been sleeping all day under his basking rock. It taking an extra toll on him today. I had to check on him a few times already just to make sure hes still hanging in there. Im about to tey another feeding. He didnt want nothing to do with eating earlier.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Okay, so it is hard the first few times to get them to open their mouth. I cried the first time I did it to my Tampi, but once I figured it out, she totally understood and wasn't as resistant. You have to pinch the corners of their mouth and push down. Once he opens his mouth keep the jaw pinched until you give him all 3 medicines, so have each one ready to go. I don't suggest doing it again unless you have to do it multiple times a day. I had to with Tampi when she had pinworms. Hope that helps.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
vrenee1018":12bdl5cz said:
Okay, so it is hard the first few times to get them to open their mouth. I cried the first time I did it to my Tampi, but once I figured it out, she totally understood and wasn't as resistant. You have to pinch the corners of their mouth and push down. Once he opens his mouth keep the jaw pinched until you give him all 3 medicines, so have each one ready to go. I don't suggest doing it again unless you have to do it multiple times a day. I had to with Tampi when she had pinworms. Hope that helps.

Thank you ill give it a try if needed. He is very squirmish and i feel like im gonna brake him if i force. He is only 7.5 grams so its tough. Good news though some oxbow critical care came today i have some carnivore care and bene bac pro on the way also. Hopefully soon hell start recovery. He has been back up for sure. Hes has unually large poops lately and has been barely eating. Wait as im talking hes eating some greens. I havent seen him touch greens since ive had him. Yay. He tasted a piece and decided to go back to his basking rock and sleep. Lol. Going to feed him some crit care in a half hour. Been wanting to get him off the baby food. Hes reqlly trying hard to keep it down.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
He seems to like the critical care alot better. I added some extra calcium to it. I had to give him some more metron medicationm it says its to stimulate his appetite but all it seems to do is knock him out. Im going to be all over the place for the holidays and tryimg to keep a close eye on him at the same time.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
He is a baby, so all this stuff will take a toll on his little body, but he should recover just fine. Especially since you're giving him food along the way to help him out. It took Tampico a little over a month and a half to fully recover from her respiratory infection and pin worms. How often and how much critical care are you feeding him? I think I fed Tampi the twice a day 3-4 mgs each, and she's a lot bigger than your lil guy, so ya don't wanna over feed him. I made Tampi fat for a week or so. I felt so bad, but her body just absorbed all the nutrients. Hope he can give ya a good Xmas present and recover a bit more today.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
vrenee1018":20re9jmi said:
He is a baby, so all this stuff will take a toll on his little body, but he should recover just fine. Especially since you're giving him food along the way to help him out. It took Tampico a little over a month and a half to fully recover from her respiratory infection and pin worms. How often and how much critical care are you feeding him? I think I fed Tampi the twice a day 3-4 mgs each, and she's a lot bigger than your lil guy, so ya don't wanna over feed him. I made Tampi fat for a week or so. I felt so bad, but her body just absorbed all the nutrients. Hope he can give ya a good Xmas present and recover a bit more today.

Thank you, Merry Xmas. He has been getting anywhere from 0.5 to 1ml a day split up into 3 feeding. Hes been easier on the feeding with the critical care. I just get him to taste is and just keep giving him a little dabble on his tongue till he moves his head away. He seems to be doing ok. Live bugs still seem to just stress him out ao i may wait till the weekend before i try again. Ive been offering greens every orning but he doesnt seem interested.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Quicksilv312":379geg3n said:
vrenee1018":379geg3n said:

Thank you, Merry Xmas. He has been getting anywhere from 0.5 to 1ml a day split up into 3 feeding. Hes been easier on the feeding with the critical care. I just get him to taste is and just keep giving him a little dabble on his tongue till he moves his head away. He seems to be doing ok. Live bugs still seem to just stress him out ao i may wait till the weekend before i try again. Ive been offering greens every orning but he doesnt seem interested.

When Tampi was a baby, she didn't eat or touch greens for months. I think around 3-4 months she started to come around to eating the greens, and even now at 1 year old, she still doesn't touch any other type of greens or veggies much. Also, do you have the feeders in a bowl or do you let them roam around the tank with him?

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
I usually keep them in a small tupperware and just place it in his tank. To be honest though i never really stuck to a certain way. He only ate live food the first 5 days i had him. Coming up on 2 weeks of syringe feeding, just got carnivore care and benebac. He is doing alot better, more alert, moving in his tank more, eating better. Thinfs a re hopefully starting to turn around finally.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
Health update....

He is taking food alot better from syringe and not refusing it. He is not losing weight anymore which is good. I have been feeding him 1/2 teaspoon of carnivore care mixed with a 1/4 teaspoon of critical care mixed with some calcium and diluted to a good consistency to feed. He eats anywhere from 1ml to 1.5ml of solution between 3 feeding throughout the day. He gets 1/8th teaspoon of benebac mixed in every other day for the first week. I tried feeding 5 times but it was too much for him. He has been maintaining a steady 7 grams for the past 5 days at 6in long. He has been having regular bowel movements 1 to 2 a day, small quantities but regular. Been giving him bathes every other day and dropping watter on his nose 2x a day. His urates look good with occasional excess water in them. He still keeps his eyes shut about 80 percent of the day but has his head up not sure what that may be. Hes been like that since hes been ill. Also occasionally after eating or a bath he looks like hes gagging or vomiting a bit then keeps licking or puffing up like hes trying to hold it down. Hell puff out his beard and his ribs will puff out and abdomen sucks in with his head up high. Hell do this a few times then start licking. Hell keep doing this for a few minutes sometimes but never throws up. Does he just have an upset stomach?

Here is some updated photos

https://imgur.com/a/BbtJ3I8

https://imgur.com/a/aqg6xVP

On another note. Im having issues uploading to the site via useruploads. The upload button wont do anything. I tried refreshing. Im on a phone, could that be the reason?

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
Unfortunately over night my little guys health took a turn for the worse. He had a bad night sleep. Was crawling around all night throwing up and dry heaving. Its been 5 hrs with the lighrs on and its getting noticeabley worse. He only moves when hes about to get sick. He sticks his nose up in the air and starts gagging and twitching. It looks as almost as if hes starting to lose his balance. Hes only walking in circles and almost falls over aometimes. I called the vet i cant get him in till thursday. Any clue on what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom