Baby beardie will not eat please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash91ley

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":3cfmcweo said:
Glad to hear it!!
Just some minor tweaks can make a huge improvement :D

If you needed any insect staple suggestions, I saw you had mentioned him eating a mealworm earlier in your post. As cheap as it is to get sooo many of them, they're unfortunately not a great option. I fed my oldest a bunch of those, myself, before finding out they're hard to digest due to the chitin (exoskeleton)

I find the best deals on feeders are online (in the US) and not local, but it depends on your local resources honestly.
As odd as it may seem to receive a box in the mail full of bugs, most shippers are really good about live delivery and will only ship Mon/Tues to avoid having them sit in the post office over a Sunday

Did not know that thank you, do you have any sites you can recommend? I need to order some asap. I just ordered some phoenix worms?

ash91ley

Original Poster
Just went and bought some pinheads dusted them with calcium and you guys I cant explain how happy I am he attacked them so fast I fed him 3 for right now.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you both. Make sure you read some care sheets on the main home page so you can know more about their care.

ash91ley

Original Poster
kyleena29":2noyx55b said:
That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you both. Make sure you read some care sheets on the main home page so you can know more about their care.

Thank you so much for your help! Should I give him more since hes so hungry and hasn't eatin in forever. Or just wait till the morning?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I would feed him more. He should eat 2-3 times a day. Since he hasn't eaten much recently I wouldn't give him too much at once. I don't know how many pinheads he could eat but they are pretty small. I'm going to guess he could probably eat 30-50 of those in a day? I use dubias so I'm not very good to guess on crickets. Take a couple days to have him eat 4-5 mini meals if your schedule allows.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
My 5 month old just gobbled up 25 medium/large crickets this morning for breakfast, so depending on the size of the bugs yours will probably be relatively the same, though I recommend pinheads/small of course for your little one, or nymph dubia roaches.

If he hasn't been eating too well I would do as kyleena mentioned and start him slow, or give him one at a time and let him eat slowly. Eating too quickly can get them sick, especially if they're not used to it. I would give him 10 pinheads in 1 sitting, and if he still acts interested and hungry 10 minutes later, slowly give more.

I also use Symtom BSFL for my guys
http://www.symtonbsf.com/

And ABDragons for roaches while I grow my own colony
http://abdragons.com/

Crickets I will get from a local petstore when I'm in a pinch, but I consider them to be like.. the McDonalds of feeders, though that may be harsh :lol: I just know that dubia are the best out there. Crickets are very good for getting their exercise and keeping them from being lazy, though. They enjoy the chase and hunt

ash91ley

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":2wfugy4w said:
My 5 month old just gobbled up 25 medium/large crickets this morning for breakfast, so depending on the size of the bugs yours will probably be relatively the same, though I recommend pinheads/small of course for your little one, or nymph dubia roaches.

If he hasn't been eating too well I would do as kyleena mentioned and start him slow, or give him one at a time and let him eat slowly. Eating too quickly can get them sick, especially if they're not used to it. I would give him 10 pinheads in 1 sitting, and if he still acts interested and hungry 10 minutes later, slowly give more.

I also use Symtom BSFL for my guys
http://www.symtonbsf.com/

And ABDragons for roaches while I grow my own colony
http://abdragons.com/

Crickets I will get from a local petstore when I'm in a pinch, but I consider them to be like.. the McDonalds of feeders, though that may be harsh :lol: I just know that dubia are the best out there. Crickets are very good for getting their exercise and keeping them from being lazy, though. They enjoy the chase and hunt

Thank you yes I could not get him to eat more then 3-4 at a sitting. I ordered some nymph dubias as well phenix worms hopefully be here soon

ash91ley

Original Poster
He ate a little bit of apple too. I am just happy hes eating and hopefully will return with a big appetite soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom