Baby beardie trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I have had a my baby beardie for about 2 weeks now and he doesn't eat very much. I knew that baby beardies aren't keen on greens anyway so that doesn't bother me but he doesn't seem to take notice of insects in his viv anymore, but 90% sure he wouldn't refuse a worm of some sort ! Also he has been doing this throat thing where it looks like he swallows but he's not eating anything to swallow it. He's pooping fine about once a day; his set up ..4ft viv, a heated end (basking) log to bask on and light is 50w which reaches 110f he also has a uv light and then a darker cooler end which is 70-80f (70 at night) he has a hubba hut and silk plants for cover. Food: i try feeding him crickets, locusts and mealworms (as a treat) he has access to water all day and seems active any advice to make him eat! Thanks :) (ps substrate is woodchips)

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
How old is he? Mealworms and locusts aren't smart for a baby dragon. he might also be lost in a big vivarium if he is a true baby. You might try feeding him in a seperate area instead of him trying to hunt crickets in such a large area.

Also...you should look at changing your substrate. for one i don't like woodchips period for beardies...but that is definitely not the best idea for babies. you should have terrarium carpet, newspaper, or papertowell in there atleast until he gets bigger. you can go with a more natural looking substrate like calci-sand or something later on down the road. loose substrate like wood chips can easily lead to impaction in a young dragon.

charss2012

Original Poster
He is approx 5months/6months, i bought the vivarium and equipment in like a bundle from a reptile shop and they sold that to me with woodchips and 3 boxes of locusts. I checked for impaction and i dont think he has that. Im not sure what else to try he eats maybe like 1-2 crickets a day and yesterday he had a mouthfull of greens what other insects do you suggest for a 5/6 month old? Thanks :)

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
You can't go wrong with dubias. once you get your little guy on it you wont get them to touch a cricket! and they are very very nutritional! I have never done locusts with any reptiles i have ever owned....not to say you can't i have seen it done i just never have. i stick with crickets and dubias.

5-6 months will probably be fine on the woodchips, though i usually wouldn't put a beardie on loose substrate till they are 9-10 months personally. just watch when he eats as they will ingest the wood chips and those do not go down well. if you want a loose, natural substrate switch to calci-sand. it is much easier for them to get down than a wood chip :D

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Calcium sand is a big NO NO. Never for a beardie and neither wood chips or anything loose on the floor is a big NO NO. Some advice from people are way off. Why would anyone say sand goes down better, it will clump in their belly like concrete and kill them, as will any loose stuff on their floor. :banghead:

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
That is not entirely true sir. Calci-sand is designed for accidental ingestion by older juvie lizards and up. It is designed to break down. Do your research. And I actually advised going to terrarium liner. But since OP obviously wants a natural looking set up I advised towards the sand rather than the chips. Wood chips is the worst thing to put them on.

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
I guess I have had different experiences with it. I have used it on two adult dragons and neither had an issue with it or ever tried to eat it. Maybe I got lucky.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I have done my research and a lot of it BEFORE I got my first beardie. and from my daughter's friend who put her beardie on calcium sand and it ate so much of it it died, people like you who give the WRONG advice ends up with people doing it and loosing their beardies.

charss2012

Original Poster
Thankyou so much for your help everyone! Think ill give all of that a go he doesnt generally eat off the floor anyway he eats from his log (basking spot) hes a little lazy and waits for the insects to come to him! Last night i noticed he had a little bit of food stuck to the edge of his mouth, i handled him and wiped it off and he seems to have perked up. But he keeps swallowing (not gulping) just small swallow actions and i dont know what that means. Going to buy more insects today nursejones813 can they have cali worms everyday or a treat? Thanks everyone! x

Jaycies

My understanding is that no sand for anything less than a year old and only play sand bought at places like Home Depot after that. I have mine on tile and won't be changing (she's only six months old) anyway so not an issue with me.

charss2012

Original Poster
:) cool thankyou I found out my beardie doesnt like crickets! Went out and bought small locusts and he ate about 6 i was shocked haa! I will have a hunt around for dubia roaches for my boy :) thanks he seems to be getting on with the woodchips as theyre not too tiny for him to swallow but will consider changing till hes older :)

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
Tile has become very very popular now as it is not only easy to clean but it looks great plus it helps keep their nails down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom