Baby beardie only eating once a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I have a baby beardie thats only eating once a day ( in the morning) I have read that should be getting fed at least 2-3 times a day but when I put crickets in the she just looks at them lol but eats like a trooper in the morning temps are all fine humidity is fine. She won't won't eat the veggies I put down or fruit that I offer her anything I should do? She is also very very active basking then climbing about exploring. I have a hide that she doesn't use only sits on top of it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think you'll find that their appetites will vary. It's good to offer young dragons a couple of meals per day but if they don't want all of it, that's OK. If she is active and basking it sounds like she's happy and getting what she needs.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Worth a quick check using this flow chart for likely reasons for a lack of appetite : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

Most likely issues are :
>>> too cold in tank and at basking spot …. how are you measuring temperature , with what ?
>>> inadequate UVA
>>> impaction …. what substrate are using ?
>>> sharing tank with a sibling or other dragon ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ThatsPleny":2pr5aey4 said:
Hi guys I have a baby beardie thats only eating once a day ( in the morning) I have read that should be getting fed at least 2-3 times a day but when I put crickets in the she just looks at them lol but eats like a trooper in the morning temps are all fine humidity is fine. She won't won't eat the veggies I put down or fruit that I offer her anything I should do? She is also very very active basking then climbing about exploring. I have a hide that she doesn't use only sits on top of it.

Don't be too obsessed about filling the hatchling up with salad …. under 6 months old it's crucial to ensure an adequate diet suitable for a rapidly growing baby / hatchling …. should be nearly entirely HIGH QUALITY LIVE INSECTS , see this thread : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=244111&p=1859195#p1859195

ThatsPleny

Original Poster
Temps are cold end 85f hot end 95 basking spot 110 - 115f measuring the temps with exo Terra digital thermometer and uvb is a 12 % Arcadia

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ThatsPleny":32s8gjgf said:
Temps are cold end 85f hot end 95 basking spot 110 - 115f
<<< think the basking spot can do with being 10F cooler , see this for why :https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

measuring the temps with exo Terra digital thermometer and uvb is a 12 % Arcadia

How is his growth trajectory looking ? are you weighing him weekly and tracking his body weight graphically like this
23sep2017_RAW.png

is the 12% Arcadia a T8 or a T5HO ?
Is it in a reflector hood ?
on top or under a mesh lid ? (mesh will block 45% of the UV)
How far from the basking spot ? is it close enough to produce 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm and about 1000 microW UVA / sq.cm at the basking spot ?
If the UVA is too low , this will result in a reduced appetite and other issues.
If UVB is too low , this impacts directly on the synthesis of Ca to VitD3.

to check your setup : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

ThatsPleny

Original Poster
Av tryed weighing her but couldn't get her to stay still ? I'll try again later and uvb is a t5 a few inches away from basking area it's a 30" long uvb light in a 4ft wooden vivarium

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ThatsPleny":18ps18js said:
Av tryed weighing her but couldn't get her to stay still ? I'll try again later
What you need is a little tub with a slip on lid like this
19mar2016_peppa.gif

I started off using this one over 9 years ago to weigh my two baby eastern bluetongue skinks , when they were boisterous , I simply deposited the skink in and put the lid on and locked the clips so the skink couldn't push the lid off. They soon learnt to accept this .

Same deal with the rescued wild skinks (was good for taking them to the vet too , perfect size even for an adult water skink) , then I started using it when weighing the hatchling beardies until they also got too big to go in it.

ThatsPleny

Original Poster
I have a ledge that is pretty high up probably 5" away from the uvb light. And wow it's the most simple things that I don't think of doing ??? great idea thanks ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics of your baby as well as the set up ? And the t8 is good at 8-10", mine grow fine at that distance. The condition + activity level is important right now, weighing hatchlings is not always totally accurate and you want to see visually what the baby looks like. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom