Baby beardie not eating very much and not shedding

ms4sman

Beardie name(s)
Ripley
OK so first off, I'm a very new beardie owner so forgive me if I'm being overly paranoid, but I just don't want to overlook a health issue that could be dealt with or avoided.

This is going to be long because I want to provide everything I know about the situation so you know what I'm working with.

OK, so I brought Ripley home just over 2 weeks ago. By my best guess, he's somewhere between 1 and 2 months old. As of a couple days ago, 21 cm long and 21 grams. I should have been weighing him since I brought him home, but I didn't. Purchased from PetCo, and selected because he looked plump and healthy and seemed more alert than the others in the store. I say "he" but I do not actually know his sex.

When I first brought him home, he did remarkably well when I put him into his terrarium. I got him home about the time his lights went off so I just put him in and left him alone. The first day he ate probably 10 small dubia roaches and even ate some greens. For the first 5 or 6 days he did AMAZINGLY well compared to what I've read of beardies when they first get adopted. He was also pooping regularly each day at least once.

During those first days he ate maybe 15 to 20 crickets a day and some mealworms for a couple of days when every store was out of crickets and I couldn't get any. He also at some greens every day or two. During this time, I was putting a few crickets into the terrarium with him and letting him chase and catch them as he pleased and he had no trouble catching them in the large space. I know now that leaving crickets loose in the terrarium is not a good idea so I have stopped doing this. At some point during that time, he also looked like he was starting to shed. The end of his nose started to shed, but that was all.

Then, a little over week ago, his tail started to look sort of faded and he suddenly seemed to lose his appetite. I assumed he was going to shed, but he just never did. He shows little interest in either crickets or mealworms when I put them in his dish or put him in a smaller terrarium with them so he can chase them. He just ignores them. He also hasn't shed yet and its been about a week of his tail still looking faded but no actual shed besides that little bit on the end of his nose at the beginning. Most days over the last week I've been lucky to get maybe 5 bugs into him a day, sometimes crickets, sometimes mealworms. I have to feed them with tweezers as that's suddenly the only way he will eat.

He still basks most of the day. He rarely goes in his hide and spends almost the entire day moving around his basking spots so I don't imagine there's any issue with his lighting. His poops are still regular. Starting yesterday they got a little watery but I think he may be overhydrated. He drinks water when dropped on the end of his nose but maybe I gave him too much. But until yesterday, his poops were the correct consistency and everything.

He is still very alert and energetic, bright eyed and moving around. I'm probably overly worried but I just want to check and see if I should be concerned about the not eating much and not shedding. From what I understand online, babies his age will shed every week or two so I would have expected him to have shed by now, especially since he's looked like he's going to shed for almost a week now. And I understand that babies are usually very ravenous eaters (and he was at first too) but then suddenly stopped.

Is there any need for concern here? Or is he just taking a while to shed and that's also the reason for the loss of appetite? It just seems odd that it's been over a week and he doesn't seem to have made any progress on it. A few times a day, he will rub his head on the woven hammock where he basks, as if he's trying to shed but doesn't seem to get anywhere. I've also been giving him baths every other day or so during this time. He doesn't seem to particularly enjoy that but I hoped it would help with the shed but it doesn't seem to be.

Can anyone reassure me that everything is OK, or if not, tell me what might be going on? Or even if there's no cause for concern right now, when should I start to worry?

All the information about his terrarium should be in my profile, and if you have any other questions about the setup just ask!

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
OK so first off, I'm a very new beardie owner so forgive me if I'm being overly paranoid, but I just don't want to overlook a health issue that could be dealt with or avoided.

This is going to be long because I want to provide everything I know about the situation so you know what I'm working with.

OK, so I brought Ripley home just over 2 weeks ago. By my best guess, he's somewhere between 1 and 2 months old. As of a couple days ago, 21 cm long and 21 grams. I should have been weighing him since I brought him home, but I didn't. Purchased from PetCo, and selected because he looked plump and healthy and seemed more alert than the others in the store. I say "he" but I do not actually know his sex.

When I first brought him home, he did remarkably well when I put him into his terrarium. I got him home about the time his lights went off so I just put him in and left him alone. The first day he ate probably 10 small dubia roaches and even ate some greens. For the first 5 or 6 days he did AMAZINGLY well compared to what I've read of beardies when they first get adopted. He was also pooping regularly each day at least once.

During those first days he ate maybe 15 to 20 crickets a day and some mealworms for a couple of days when every store was out of crickets and I couldn't get any. He also at some greens every day or two. During this time, I was putting a few crickets into the terrarium with him and letting him chase and catch them as he pleased and he had no trouble catching them in the large space. I know now that leaving crickets loose in the terrarium is not a good idea so I have stopped doing this. At some point during that time, he also looked like he was starting to shed. The end of his nose started to shed, but that was all.

Then, a little over week ago, his tail started to look sort of faded and he suddenly seemed to lose his appetite. I assumed he was going to shed, but he just never did. He shows little interest in either crickets or mealworms when I put them in his dish or put him in a smaller terrarium with them so he can chase them. He just ignores them. He also hasn't shed yet and its been about a week of his tail still looking faded but no actual shed besides that little bit on the end of his nose at the beginning. Most days over the last week I've been lucky to get maybe 5 bugs into him a day, sometimes crickets, sometimes mealworms. I have to feed them with tweezers as that's suddenly the only way he will eat.

He still basks most of the day. He rarely goes in his hide and spends almost the entire day moving around his basking spots so I don't imagine there's any issue with his lighting. His poops are still regular. Starting yesterday they got a little watery but I think he may be overhydrated. He drinks water when dropped on the end of his nose but maybe I gave him too much. But until yesterday, his poops were the correct consistency and everything.

He is still very alert and energetic, bright eyed and moving around. I'm probably overly worried but I just want to check and see if I should be concerned about the not eating much and not shedding. From what I understand online, babies his age will shed every week or two so I would have expected him to have shed by now, especially since he's looked like he's going to shed for almost a week now. And I understand that babies are usually very ravenous eaters (and he was at first too) but then suddenly stopped.

Is there any need for concern here? Or is he just taking a while to shed and that's also the reason for the loss of appetite? It just seems odd that it's been over a week and he doesn't seem to have made any progress on it. A few times a day, he will rub his head on the woven hammock where he basks, as if he's trying to shed but doesn't seem to get anywhere. I've also been giving him baths every other day or so during this time. He doesn't seem to particularly enjoy that but I hoped it would help with the shed but it doesn't seem to be.

Can anyone reassure me that everything is OK, or if not, tell me what might be going on? Or even if there's no cause for concern right now, when should I start to worry?

All the information about his terrarium should be in my profile, and if you have any other questions about the setup just ask!

Thanks!
First off your doing great -- and its good hes drinking off the dropper --- next hes going thru relocation stress and shedding and this stress will effect the appetite-- keep feeding the dubia - I can post websites to get insects / worms off of - do not rely on the pet stores - your gonna get cheaper insects ordering on line-- next we need to go over the surface basking temps -- NO stick ons please you want a digital probe thermometer - 105-110 and yes babies eat A LOT----- this is crucial these temps -- next your UVB NO coils - you want a long tube fixture - we recommend 3 on this board -- if you need help please ask -- this too is crucial --- we need to get this on par so keep your baby eating and healthy --

ms4sman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ripley
Thanks for the reply!

I'll attach some screenshots of my light setup from my profile but I think it should be pretty good from what I've read. It's not a coil UVB, it is a tube. Temps are about what you listed. The middle of the basking spot at least is about 105, but it's worth noting he doesn't actually bask there. He prefers the edges which are about 95. I don't know if this is because he prefers that temp though or if he just prefers the spot and I should try to bring up the temp in that spot. If he prefers it a bit cooler, I don't want to just make his comfy spot even hotter. But I'm not sure how to know.

Please let me know if you spot something wrong with my light setup, but I think it should be good from everything I've read.

As for the dubias, I will look into ordering online. He did seem to really enjoy those but even if I wanted to buy them locally, the pet store here doesn't carry them so I'd have to get them online.

Thanks again for the reply!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614-162400.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614-162400.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20230614-162412.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614-162412.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 52

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
What are you using for uvb? And what are your basking temps? Both are critical especially for babies. Also petstores like petsmart and petco barely feed the babies so they are starving when you get them. Hunger wins out over nerves. But they do go through relocation stress, but because they are starving when you get them it can take a few days to show up. Look at his belly, if it has circles he is stressed. Shed effects their appetite also. Sheds don't happen in a day or two, it's more like a week or two with babies, longer with adults.

ms4sman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ripley
That is good to know about the shedding taking longer than I thought. So if it takes a week or two for babies, do they not eat much for that entire time?

I posted screenshots of my light setup but here's the high points.
- for UVB I have a Zoo Med 24" T5 HO ReptiSun 10.0. it is sitting on top of the screen.
- I have a 150 watt basking bulb on the hot side that gets the basking spot to about 105 in the hottest part but he doesn't spend much time in that spot.
- the cool side is 75-80. I use an infrared temp gun to measure.

As for stress marks, they come and go. Sometimes the lines and circles are much more visible than other times. I haven't found much of a pattern to it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Lights sound good, and thats normal for the stress marks. You gotta remember he is brand new to the world. He doesn't know himself yet, what's safe, what isn't, what wants to eat him, what he can eat. Can you imagine just waking up 1 day and here you are all alone in the world with no idea about anything. Most of us humans would die from shock or lack of ability i think lol. It just takes a little time for them to become self assured and even longer to be bold.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is good to know about the shedding taking longer than I thought. So if it takes a week or two for babies, do they not eat much for that entire time?

I posted screenshots of my light setup but here's the high points.
- for UVB I have a Zoo Med 24" T5 HO ReptiSun 10.0. it is sitting on top of the screen.
- I have a 150 watt basking bulb on the hot side that gets the basking spot to about 105 in the hottest part but he doesn't spend much time in that spot.
- the cool side is 75-80. I use an infrared temp gun to measure.

As for stress marks, they come and go. Sometimes the lines and circles are much more visible than other times. I haven't found much of a pattern to it.
Your screen needs to be a wide hole type to stay there - I need to see the screen please -- IR guns are good but can be off depending on the material the basking decor is made of -- please get two digital probe thermometers - especially for ambient temps --

ms4sman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ripley
Here's a pic of the full setup.

Hot side is on the right colder side on the left. The light on the left is just an LED for light only so that side isn't so dark. The middle light is 75 watts for some extra heat and it seems to help maintain the temp inside and give a middle temp area. All the lights are on the timer so they all go off at night.

He spends probably 2/3 of his time on the side corners of the hammock basking. He never lays in the middle which is the warmest spot. He spends the rest of his time under the middle bulb, perched on the vine. He jumps to get to that spot!

I'll look into possibly getting a probe thermometer. I know stick on thermometers aren't very accurate but it's worth noting that the one I have agrees with the temp gun. I mostly just use the sticky one for the humidity (which is about 35-40%).

I'll get a picture of the screen when I'm back at home.

I imagine he is just fine and is just slow to shed and still acclimating to everything as xp29 said but I just want to be sure.

Where do you recommend buying dubias from? I take it you would recommend them over crickets?

Attachments

• PXL_20230611_205401878.jpg
    PXL_20230611_205401878.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 53

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here's a pic of the full setup.

Hot side is on the right colder side on the left. The light on the left is just an LED for light only so that side isn't so dark. The middle light is 75 watts for some extra heat and it seems to help maintain the temp inside and give a middle temp area. All the lights are on the timer so they all go off at night.

He spends probably 2/3 of his time on the side corners of the hammock basking. He never lays in the middle which is the warmest spot. He spends the rest of his time under the middle bulb, perched on the vine. He jumps to get to that spot!

I'll look into possibly getting a probe thermometer. I know stick on thermometers aren't very accurate but it's worth noting that the one I have agrees with the temp gun. I mostly just use the sticky one for the humidity (which is about 35-40%).

I'll get a picture of the screen when I'm back at home.

I imagine he is just fine and is just slow to shed and still acclimating to everything as xp29 said but I just want to be sure.

Where do you recommend buying dubias from? I take it you would recommend them over crickets?
The uvb should be unobstructed - it looks like your screen is a fine mesh - it's blocking 30% of the rays- you want a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 12-15 inches- I would also recommend a digital probe hygrometer exo Terra makes them - yes I recommend roaches over crickets
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.symtonbsf.com bsfl are another great staple feeder- good for babies and lures to the salad bowl
www.aafeeders.com
www.reptilianarts.com they have nice silk worms
www.joshsfrogs.com they have butter worms
I would check out all the sites make sure getting insects no bigger than the space between his eyes-

ms4sman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ripley
The uvb should be unobstructed - it looks like your screen is a fine mesh - it's blocking 30% of the rays- you want a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 12-15 inches- I would also recommend a digital probe hygrometer exo Terra makes them - yes I recommend roaches over crickets
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.symtonbsf.com bsfl are another great staple feeder- good for babies and lures to the salad bowl
www.aafeeders.com
www.reptilianarts.com they have nice silk worms
www.joshsfrogs.com they have butter worms
I would check out all the sites make sure getting insects no bigger than the space between his eyes-
Ok!

One question I've had with buying bugs online is how many to get at a time...if he gets his appetite back, how many roaches might he eat per day? With mailing time involved I don't want to worry about running out of bugs and having to wait for more. How long do they stay alive potentially?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok!

One question I've had with buying bugs online is how many to get at a time...if he gets his appetite back, how many roaches might he eat per day? With mailing time involved I don't want to worry about running out of bugs and having to wait for more. How long do they stay alive potentially?
I would set up a 10 gallon aquarium order dubia food and dubia dew and order 200 of them - keep track of how many he's eating per day and go from there-- you can feed other feeders like bsfl to off set the appetite feed as many as you want I always fed around 25 of them on the salads then the main insects- I also added super worms on top 3 as well - I fed silk worms too along w/ horn worms

ms4sman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ripley
OK thanks for all the info!

One thing I discovered is that while I bought 10.0 UVB bulbs, I was actually using a 5.0 that came with the fixture. Despite all my checking of things I somehow neglected to check that until now. It has a 10.0 bulb in it now, so that definitely could have been part of the issue. I'll work on figuring out a way to mount it under the screen ASAP but this should help in the meantime.

Also, yesterday his tail did finally shed. It all came off over the course of the day yesterday with the help of a bath. The rest of him still doesn't appear ready to shed, but that tail really did so I'm glad it finally shed.

I was also able to pick up some dubias from the local petstore (overpriced, but they did actually have them for a change) and he ate those right up yesterday very enthusiastically so maybe he just was tired of other bugs. Who knows. I ordered a couple hundred dubias online now though that should come tomorrow so hopefully he continues to enjoy those!

Thanks everyone for your advice and help with this! I think Ripley is doing much better now and as a terrified new beardie owner, I really appreciate folks being patient and helping figure out what is going on.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
That's what this forum is all about 🙂 Don't hesitate to ask about anything at all, it's always better to ask than to guess. 🙂

RayBB

Thanks!
I. Haven't read previous replies so my info may duplicate what's been given & if so I apologize for that. Im noexpert, only know what I've learned from being a beardie gran.

You're gonna be a great beardie mom! A little "over concern" is great because our little guys hide health issues so very well that by the time we realize there's an issue, it can get serious quick - especially babies from the box stores. (They supply from breeding mills.)

1) Because he's from a box store. My first bit of advice is to find a reputable herp vet & take him in for a well visit as soon as you can. This is important.
2) Then I strongly advise well visit checkups every six months.
3) Because he's from a box store, I STRONGLY advise a blood panel as soon as he's old enough (6mts - 1yr I think) that will reveal predisposed & genetic issues. (This could've saved my Jabberwocky's life had I known about it. She was from a box store & had many issues due to coming from breeding mill.)
4) I strongly suggest that you keep some money set aside for emergency vet visits.

HELP SHED: Get some Aloe Vera Juice & thev softest bristle toothbrush you can find. Dip the brush in the AV juice & gently massage onto scales getting ready to shed. You can do this daily, but it won't take long before his shed seems to "explode" off of him.
**It's also safe to add to his bath water.

CRICKETS are notorious for causing parasites. (No shaming here, your doing the best with the knowledge you have, I've been there. We all have)
BSFL: The best feeders I've found (hubs won't allow Dubai in the house LOL) are Black Soldier Fly Larvae! They are excellent & have a perfect calcium: phosphorous ratio! I purchase from Symtombsf.com. Have never had an issue with nutrients nor parasites.

This is all the time I have for now.

You're doing excellent! Keep seeking knowledge to keep your baby healthy. You're gonna be a great beardie mom!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230616-102711_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230616-102711_Google.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 1686929642046.jpg
    1686929642046.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom