baby beardie injured possible broken back

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
witchboyfinn":1bgyrxzd said:
i want to take him to a vet really badly and im literally crying bc im so worried, my dad keeps telling me that he is probably impacted but im worried his back may be broken and my dad refuses to take him to the vet and i dont drive and i dont have a job or money so i couldnt pay for him to go to the vet

idk what i can do, jinxy seems fine except his back legs and tail arent moving at all

also its 11 at night so i cant take him tonight

Your dad needs to man up and take Jinxy to a good reptile vet PRONTO , it is animal cruelty to not provide proper vet care and treatment . I personally think this is disgusting and extremely cruel.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm so sorry your little guy had this accident, it can happen so fast . :( if your dad won't take him, there are a few things that may aid in recovery. First off, keep his basking areas low so he doesn't jump or fall. Hand feed him calcium coated crickets and don't handle him too much . After 2-3 days, take him outside if it's warm. Transport him in a box so he can't jump out, and then sit in the grass with him for a half hour....the natural sun is good for beardies, it helps with calcium absorption to strengthen bones. Calcium, uvb and a little time to heal may help if there is any swelling. It would be best if your dad took him to an experienced reptile vet, but I know you can't make him. So these are a few things to hopefully help him. You can call the pet store guy but they can only offer advice, don't take the dragon on a trip that will stress him just for an opinion that you can get over the phone that will not be anything more than what you get here.

Hopefully your little guy will heal up. Best wishes for a recovery !

witchboyfinn

Original Poster
theres a vet down the street from me and im considering taking him but i dont have the money to at the moment. im trying to keep him warm and he seems to be pretty active and climbed onto his basking spot with just his front legs. im going to try to bring him to a vet as soon as i can get enough for the cost

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
witchboyfinn":15ern3ef said:
theres a vet down the street from me and im considering taking him but i dont have the money to at the moment. im trying to keep him warm and he seems to be pretty active and climbed onto his basking spot with just his front legs. im going to try to bring him to a vet as soon as i can get enough for the cost

You need to remove all places where he can / could climb except his hide, and either move the basking and UVB lights closer so he has good 105oF ground level basking spot or if the lights can't be move up the wattage to achieve the same.
If he can only use his arms he runs a big risk of falling off higher perches and basking spots that involve climbing and injuring himself further.

You perhaps should consider a reptile rescuer who will likely take him on and provide the vet care he needs if you are not able to do so because of your father's lack of empathy and unwillingness to help.

If your dad is too stingy, try your mother, or your grandparents.

witchboyfinn

Original Poster
i removed his basking branch and thers about two feet between the ground and the basking light, is that to far away?

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
You can also try taking your dragon to the vet and let them know about your financial issues. Depending on the vet, they may be able to work with you regarding cost as either a payment plan or reducing the cost of care

witchboyfinn

Original Poster
I brought Jinx to the petsmart where i got him and they are bringing him to a vet tomorrow and are going to keep me updated so hopefully my baby will be doing better soon :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
witchboyfinn":2choczxf said:
i removed his basking branch and thers about two feet between the ground and the basking light, is that to far away?
Remove all options to climb for now.

If he has an injured spine (even a broken back) , a fall from even as low as 6 inches high might do more damage .

If you are lucky he has only bruised his spine and when the swelling (if there is any swelling) reduces he'll be OK.
IF YOU ARE LUCKY.

What exactly are they doing to do at the petshop other than put him with the other little beardies , I can't see them calling in a vet on your behalf and gratis.

You really need to recover him and get to the vet without delay IMO. I doubt an examination and xray will cost more than $50. If he needs treatment the vet will tell you.

witchboyfinn

Original Poster
the guy there who sold me Jinx said they are obligated to take any animal to the vet and pay for all the expenses. theyre taking him today and im probably going to get him back tomorrow

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good, hopefully it is just a swelling and the passage of a few days will relieve the pressure and Jinx will be O.K when you get him back. Best wishes for Jinx getting better, :) It may be just a swelling that will resolve on it's own.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific you are getting some help for him, I sure hope that he is going to be able to regain his mobility.
Please keep us posted on him & how he is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom