Baby beardie eye

Desijj00

Hi all! I adopted my baby beardie May 9th of this year, so he's still not to old. Not sure of the exact age honestly. I noticed the other day he was scratching his eye on his log. And a day or two later, it started to swell up as shown in the picture. When I wipe it down with a warm cloth he does open it, seen in pic #2. He did start shedding his tail also, is this a concern, eye infection? Something in his eye? What should I do. Its been about 5 days and its looking better but still watery and getting crusty occasionally.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1953196600.jpg
    Snapchat-1953196600.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Snapchat-1039809352.jpg
    Snapchat-1039809352.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 68

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all! I adopted my baby beardie May 9th of this year, so he's still not to old. Not sure of the exact age honestly. I noticed the other day he was scratching his eye on his log. And a day or two later, it started to swell up as shown in the picture. When I wipe it down with a warm cloth he does open it, seen in pic #2. He did start shedding his tail also, is this a concern, eye infection? Something in his eye? What should I do. Its been about 5 days and its looking better but still watery and getting crusty occasionally.
Yes that doesnt look good and being crusty tells me you are using a coil for a UVB? Shedding will cause the eye to swell but not get crusty--- certain basking lamps and UVB's can cause all kinds of eye issues --- please get some regular saline solution and rinse his eye if the UVB is a coil please shut it off - once you tell me that is the UVB I am going to post some links for you to get a new one -- are you using any kind of loose substrate like sand etc? What kind of basking bulb are you using? A solid clear bright white bulb is what you want examples like Exo Terra Intense - Zoo Med Repti basking -- Flukers or a Arcadia Halogen ---- also you want surface basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- those are the most accurate

Desijj00

Original Poster
Yes that doesnt look good and being crusty tells me you are using a coil for a UVB? Shedding will cause the eye to swell but not get crusty--- certain basking lamps and UVB's can cause all kinds of eye issues --- please get some regular saline solution and rinse his eye if the UVB is a coil please shut it off - once you tell me that is the UVB I am going to post some links for you to get a new one -- are you using any kind of loose substrate like sand etc? What kind of basking bulb are you using? A solid clear bright white bulb is what you want examples like Exo Terra Intense - Zoo Med Repti basking -- Flukers or a Arcadia Halogen ---- also you want surface basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- those are the most accurate
Maybe crusty wasn't the right word but it was definitely swelled shut. I'm actually using the T5 repti sun uvb. It isn't the coil. Its a long tube light. I heard those were the best after lots of research. No substrate. Just newspaper right now. It is a bright white basking bulb. Basking temps are always between 105-110. Checked several times a day with a digital probe thermometer. It was a lot better today. It was open, I used saline rinse and he opened it right back up and it looks normal, which is what I've been doing this whole time, but by morning its normally shut again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Maybe crusty wasn't the right word but it was definitely swelled shut. I'm actually using the T5 repti sun uvb. It isn't the coil. Its a long tube light. I heard those were the best after lots of research. No substrate. Just newspaper right now. It is a bright white basking bulb. Basking temps are always between 105-110. Checked several times a day with a digital probe thermometer. It was a lot better today. It was open, I used saline rinse and he opened it right back up and it looks normal, which is what I've been doing this whole time, but by morning its normally shut again.
Ok sounds great-- my booboo- I would try some raw unpasteurized honey - you can dilute w/ a little water and apply w/ a q tip- honey is great infection killer- the uvb is where? Top of screen or inside the tank? Distance and placement will depend on the screen - is it a fine mesh or a wide hole type
@AHBD

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Heres an idea. Get a piece of that news paper. Hold it right against your nose and breath very deeply for about 5 minutes. I'll bet if you do this your sinuses will be ON FIRE . The ink they use is very strong. Maybe enough so to burn his eyes, they burn mine just reading them. Please dont use newspaper unless you have dried it until there is no smell. Paper towels would be a much better option.

Desijj00

Original Poster
Maybe crusty wasn't the right word but it was definitely swelled shut. I'm actually usually the T5 repti sun uvb. It isn't the coil. Its a long tube light. I heard those were the best after lots of research. No substrate. Just newspaper right now. It is a bright white basking bulb. Basking temps are always between 105-110. Checked several times a day with a digital probe thermometer. It was a lot better today. It was open, I used saline rinse and he opened it right back up and it looks normal, which is what I've been doing this whole time, but by morning its normally shut
Heres an idea. Get a piece of that news paper. Hold it right against your nose and breath very deeply for about 5 minutes. I'll bet if you do this your sinuses will be ON FIRE . The ink they use is very strong. Maybe enough so to burn his eyes, they burn mine just reading them. Please dont use newspaper unless you have dried it until there is no smell. Paper towels would be a much better option.
You know, I never even thought about that! I read a few articles about it, newspaper is obviously cheaper the paper towels, but again, never even thought about that. I'd rather just buy some paper towels. Thank you for this suggestion!!

Desijj00

Original Poster
Ok sounds great-- my booboo- I would try some raw unpasteurized honey - you can dilute w/ a little water and apply w/ a q tip- honey is great infection killer- the uvb is where? Top of screen or inside the tank? Distance and placement will depend on the screen - is it a fine mesh or a wide hole type
@AHBD
The UVB is right at the top of the tank, I don't have anything on top right now. I am waiting for the screen I ordered! (Small town living at its finest)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is right at the top of the tank, I don't have anything on top right now. I am waiting for the screen I ordered! (Small town living at its finest)
Ok distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - the screen you ordered is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type-

Desijj00

Original Poster
Ok please put a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 8-10 inches when you put the screen on w/ it being open now hes getting full UVB the screen is going to cut the rays down so the distance is going to change --- please keep us updated on the eye -
I am going to post a picture soon! I checked him out this morning and its open but goopy.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I used newspaper for mine at times, never had a problem or heard of a problem with it. He scratched his eye on the log and might have got some skin shed stuck in it. You can use the diluted raw honey like was mentioned or some Terramycin eyedrops.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom