Baby beardie eating question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a cool mom and pop reptile shop this weekend that specializes in beardies- I mentioned that my baby beardie (2-3 months old) wasn't eating as many crickets as it was when we first brought it home. He suggested I try small white fly larvae (maybe calci worms?) Rango seems to love them - but not too interested in crickets anymore. Should I be concerned? Do baby beardies become finicky? How much in general should a baby beardie eat? I forgot to ask these questions and the shop is only open thurs-sat
Thx!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
No.... BSF maggots are fine....

so are blowfly gents , silkworms (up to 2 inches long) , small roaches, locusts or crickets.

He'll have to eat LOTS of white fly maggots ...

beardedstone

Original Poster
Thank you! Should I be concerned if my baby beardie isn't eating as much as I'm reading he should? One day he eats about 20 or so - the next couple days he eats like 5. I offer veggies everyday but not sure if he eats while we are at work or school. I'm reading babies should eat 40-50 crickets or worms a day...definitely not eating that much

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
beardedstone":3kd6zy8b said:
Thank you! Should I be concerned if my baby beardie isn't eating as much as I'm reading he should? One day he eats about 20 or so - the next couple days he eats like 5. I offer veggies everyday but not sure if he eats while we are at work or school. I'm reading babies should eat 40-50 crickets or worms a day...definitely not eating that much

A common mistake , talking about the number of crickets eaten by a little hatching without knowing the size of the hatchling, and the size of the crickets. Usually these reports of hatchling eating 50 or even 100 crickets per day are a situation where the hatchling is being fed very small crickets which are called generically pinheads or crickets smaller than 4mm long (10 days old), or very small silkworms (under a week old) or very small maggots (blowfly gents) or very small BSF maggots , or very small roaches.
See here for sizes óf insects (crickets , gents) https://frogs.org.au/live-foods/product-category/insects/

I found my Peppa and Toothless liked they greens and veg so much they were filling up on these and then come lunch and diner feeds of insects , they were not interested in the bugs because they were already full.
So I simply rearranged my feeding schedule so they had at least two feeds of live insects Peppa was 13.5g and Toothless was 11.1g at 5 weeks old.
I was giving the larger meal of small crickets (25 day old) for brekky, and smaller meal of crickets at about lunch, and also blowfly gents , and small (1.5 inch long silkworms)) for their 3 insect meals, the last being 8 small silkworms left on a mulberry leaf in the salad bowl with their greens and grated veg and 6 small crickets for brekky, 4 for lunch. THIS WAS EACH.

At 3 months old they were guzzling down up to 20 medium (1/3 sized) crickets and up to 8 medium (2inch long) silkworms per day each split over 2 cricket meals , the silkworms were their last insect meal each day. THIS WAS EACH.
At 3 months old Peppa was 61g and Toothless 51g.

I essentially fed them as many insects as they wanted at each meal, no restrictions, a few at a time in their rearing tubs, and when they lost interest , I stopped.

beardedstone

Original Poster
My little guy(or girl, not sure yet) is about 5.5 inches long and I think about 15 grams - I have to weigh Rango again this week. The crickets are baby crickets - from your link probably about 3-6 days old. When I first got it Rango was eating about 20 crickets a day (probably around the same size). I also just found out that my kids took him out on the back porch about a week and a half ago and he jumped out of their hands and down to the ground - landed in grass, but it was about a story up which is nuts. He's ok - nothing broken, still very active but I'm wondering if that has something to do with it? Or if he's just finicky? Some days he'll eat a ton and some he won't. I offer veggies and crickets/worms in the morning before work but about an hour after his lamp has been turned on, then again when the kids get home at about 330 - then again for dinner at about 6-7. I'm just so new so I'm not sure if I should be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom