Baby Beardie breathing heavy when eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Hello all! I'm new to registering on this site but it's been extremely helpfull since the first day I brought home my little love, Mem. Since everyone seems so knowledgable I wanted to ask about a possible health issue my Mem has started showing. I have had him since he was 3 weeks old and just over 4 inches long. He is almost 3 months old, and 9 inches long. 40 gallon breeder, Reptisun 10 tube (hung inside the viv), 75w heat lamp, I add a 60w when I have my AC turned down low. Cool side 87, basking side: highest basking spot 114, medium spot 104, lower spot 99. He spends the majority of his time back and forth between the 114 and 104 spots. 1/4" crickets are his staple, mustard greens and romain daily. Crickets calcium dusted 5 days a week, vitamin dusted 2 days a week, one time a day. Wax worms as once a week treat. He poo's 2-3 times per day, watery but not runny. About 5 days ago he started breathing VERY heavily after eating about 5 crickets. He puffs out his beard and belly taking huge gulps of air then blows them out in a puff, almost like a burp. He'll do this 3 or 4 times, eat about 4 more crickets and start the "burping" again. Sometimes he will eat a few more after that but most of the time this second round of "burping" seems so tough on him that he won't eat anymore. This happens when he eats his greens as well. There is no mucus in his nose or slimy saliva in his mouth. At first I thought it was b/c he was shedding inside his nose but the shed has stopped and the hard breathing continues. He gets dark and has stress lines when this happens. Any ideas what this may could be?

P.S. Here's a pic of my lil love
http://i55.tinypic.com/24pm2oz.jpg

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
Mine did that too. i guess its cause of the sand. idk. or I gave him huge crickets. but he stopped it already.

on what substrate do you keep your dragon?

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I thought that may be a possibility but he only does it when he eats, and his notrils are clear. I don't know, but it's scaring the mess out of me.

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
Mine did that too when he was eating. he stopped it after a while tho. maybe wait a while? or when your so worried just take him to the vet just in case. :L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom