Baby beardie bonding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rexandme

Hi! I have had my beardie for a little over 2 weeks. He is about 3 months old. He seem so a little skittish when I hold him. He tends to back up some like he's trying to get away. He's okay other times though and will just lay in my hand or the other night when I took him out of the bath he layed on my chest for like a good 5-10 minutes (it was heaven!!!). I see everyone posting pics and videos of them snuggling their dragon, letting it roam the house and playing with it and taking it for rides in cars and on shoulders. I want to have that special bond with my baby. Am I being a worry wart and will this bond grow in time?!!! Any suggestions and tips? Some say leave him be and others say do not let them down when squirming behavior it only reinforces the behavior. Any help would be appreciated!!!! Thanks :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It just takes time. Remember a small dragon is prey and is naturally more defensive than an older dragon. You are much bigger so may be startling. Try handling but don't push it too much. You can try hand feeding small worms (black soldier fly larvae for instance) to try and build some trust and association with food. I've also had good luck handling in the evening when they're sleepier. When my Cooper was little he would curl up in my hands or on my chest and fall asleep which seemed to help him feel secure around me. He was VERY calm and friendly as an adult. They all have their own personalities though so some may not be as cuddly as others which is OK. If they are receiving proper care they all tend to mellow out and calm down to a good extent.

joef

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":1z8icxs6 said:
It just takes time. Remember a small dragon is prey and is naturally more defensive than an older dragon. You are much bigger so may be startling. Try handling but don't push it too much. You can try hand feeding small worms (black soldier fly larvae for instance) to try and build some trust and association with food. I've also had good luck handling in the evening when they're sleepier. When my Cooper was little he would curl up in my hands or on my chest and fall asleep which seemed to help him feel secure around me. He was VERY calm and friendly as an adult. They all have their own personalities though so some may not be as cuddly as others which is OK. If they are receiving proper care they all tend to mellow out and calm down to a good extent.
This pretty much covers alot of it. When my dragon is sleepy, I can take him out of his cage and he is totally limp, he'll just wait for me to stop moving him and go back to sleep. This is a good way to hold your dragon even if they're skittish.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I highly recommend what has been suggested , especially the bonding treats given by hand .... I've used hand feeding of the first few bugs of the day to all my pet lizards as a bonding ritual for my new hatchlings and baby lizards for years and IT WORKS WONDERS.... they very quickly pick up on the fact that you are the provider of all things good and yummy and therefore you are good and can be trusted.

This also works wonders with wild lizards too - I've got very skittish uber shy skinks so tame and comfortable with me that they readily take food from between my finger tips and even let me pat them and tickle them under the chin, some will even handsurf , and a couple I rescued who were injured were tame enough to snuggle into my open upturned hand or in the crook of my elbow on my tummy, or in my vest pocket. :)

Rexandme

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. Do you think using tweezers will be just as effective? I am a little Leary of holding the bugs with my fingers. I use Phoenix worms and crickets. Do Phoenix worms bite? If not i think I can get over my fear a little easier (I know I am a sissy lol!).

roddy

Rexandme":23u7qxn0 said:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. Do you think using tweezers will be just as effective? I am a little Leary of holding the bugs with my fingers. I use Phoenix worms and crickets. Do Phoenix worms bite? If not i think I can get over my fear a little easier (I know I am a sissy lol!).

If you want to feed with tweezers and create a bond I would recommend putting a towel on your lap, nursing your beardie and feed him while he sits there.

The bonding will come with time and patience as people have said above, also bear in mind that just like any other animal a beardies mood will vary, at times mine want nothing more that some personal contact and will sit on me for upto an hour, they wont even leave my hand when I try to put them down for a run around, other days I will put them on my lap and they will scurry straight down my leg and run around my flat not wanting any attention at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom