Baby Beardie about 2 months old concerned dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did you put her in her own tank? What is the basking & cool side temps? Did you get a better UVB by getting the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent? If so, how far away is it from her? How many crickets is she eating a day? Have you been bathing her? Were you able to get the calcium with D3 but phosphorus-free? She looks quite thin I have to say.

OHBeardie07

Original Poster
ya she is very thin but she just isnt interested in crickets... i dont know im going to buy some more crickets today and hopefully she starts to eat them. i think it may just be she isnt eating enough.

OHBeardie07

Original Poster
alright new problem. my local petstore that i used to get my pinhead crickets is having a shortage of them. and looks like it is going to be a lil while before they have them again. What can i give my babies till i can get them the right size crickets again? thanks again for all the help my babies love all of you for it!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
diamc":d1f19 said:
Did you put her in her own tank? What is the basking & cool side temps? Did you get a better UVB by getting the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent? If so, how far away is it from her? How many crickets is she eating a day? Have you been bathing her? Were you able to get the calcium with D3 but phosphorus-free? She looks quite thin I have to say.
Just wondering about these things because all of these can affect her appetite tremendously.

Regarding not being able to get crickets from your petstore, you can order them in bulk online at a much cheaper price. In the meantime, you can feed chicken or turkey babyfood mixed in a larger amount of a veggie babyfood like squash, garden vegetables, green beans, etc. You will need to dilute the mixture just a little to make it thin enough to flow through a plastic medicine dropper. Put drops on their noses for them to lick off.

You could even order phoenix worms (the medium to larger size as they are very small), small silkworms or hornworms. It's a good idea to offer them a variety of live feeders to keep their interest.

OHBeardie07

Original Poster
thank you very much and i have them under the 10 uvb now. thank you... the one thing i worry about with ordering the crickets online is that they will grow and become to big.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that you now have the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent. Evidently you still have them together though, that really won't help her at all. We're really trying to help her improve but if the setup isn't optimal, babies go downhill very quickly and we don't want her to get any worse. :(

You can actually order the exact sized cricket that you want and most websites have pictures with their length posted. Here's some sites that may help and there area lot more.

http://www.recorpinc.com/phoenixworms.html

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/orders.htm

http://www.premiumcrickets.com/Phoenix-Worms_31.html

http://herpfood.com/

http://www.phoenixworm.com/servlet/the-500-ct.-Cups/Categories

http://coastalsilkworms.com/store/index.php

OHBeardie07

Original Poster
ya right now i dont have them seperated im saving up the money to get more lights for the other tank. I do feed them in seperate tanks though. i will look into ordering crickets tomorrow and maybe buy some worms to to mix it up like you said. and i am feeding them mustard greens every day they dont eat a lot of it but its always there for them.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Everyone here has given you great advice but you do need to seperate them quickly.You said you had a 30 breeder you could split down the middle?Its not ideal but its better then keeping them together plus you wont need another UV right away because the strip will run across the length of the tank.A better idea would be to get 2 rubbermaid bins and put each beardie in one of those with the strip laying across both.Either way you would need another heat lamp but you could get those at home depot fairly inexpensively.Also the babyfood is the best way to go right now and as for online ordering 1000 crix shouldnt last you very long with two baby beardies once they are eating normally anyway.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just wanted to mention 1 more thing, I hope it was the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent that you bought, rather than a coil or compact bulb and that it isn't the Repti-Glo 10.0 either because there have been some serious health issues with all of those other ones.

OHBeardie07

Original Poster
ok i tried everyones ideas they are seperated and everything but she eats one cricket then stops. i dont know whats going on but i do know its not a normal beardie meal.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Try getting some phoenix worms and feeding those to her. She might be intimidated by the crickets where as the worms can be in a little bowl and wiggle and entice her.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Anytime you make any changes, they can go through a short period of relocation stress so that may be part of what is going on. I would keep offering crickets and greens but would also pick up some chicken or turkey babyfood as well as some squash or garden vegetable babyfood. Mix a smaller amt of the meat with one of the vegetables and add a little water to thin the mixture. Use a plastic medicine dropper and put drops on her nose for her to lick off. It's very important that she not loose anymore weight. Keep us updated.

OHBeardie07

Original Poster
alright well she is still seperated and when i went to work there were still about 5 or 6 crickets in there but i dont know if they just got through the divider or if she ate them but she looks like she has a full stomach.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you tried feeding any more crickets to see if she will eat? I wouldn't suggest you leave crickets in the tank all day though because that alone can stress her out with their jumping and even crawling on her all day. Might be a better idea to try to handfeed her in the morning. I would still suggest you supplement with the babyfood though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom