Baby bearded dragon impacted, No vets close! Please respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

tf2185

I'm not try to be smart or anything or make anyone mad, but I just thought I would throw something out there. I know it seems like everyone here isn't a big fan or the natural stool softeners that were recommended, but I could see why some of them may be useful. I don't know which one exactly she recommended but I do know that they sell all natural stool softeners at one of the local vet stores and all it is a powder you mix with water. The powder is basically a powder form of prunes. They dry them out and turn them into powder. Wouldn't that be the same as giving your dragon prune juice or feeding them prunes, since prunes without adding anything to them even is a natural stool softener. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Anyways, canned pumpkin has always worked the best when my dragons need to go to the bathroom. Mine actually like the taste of it too so I don't have to "force" them to eat it. Also, even if it doesn't seem to be helping, make sure she gets plenty of liquids. Even with people one of the best ways to make their stool softer is drinking plenty of water.

InfantryMcLellen

Original Poster
It might be something that works great for you, and it might work for mine, i just dont feel comfortable doing something like giving a stool softener to my baby beardie yet, im not very experienced at all yet, so i think im going to stick to the pumpkin and prunes with olive oil and giving pedialyte orally. As well as giving baths, and tummy rubs... Thanks for everyones input, you've all been very helpful. :)

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I am sure that the pumpkin or applesauce and olive oil will get things moving just fine,,,or the baby food prunes. Let us know how he is doing,,
Kelly

InfantryMcLellen

Original Poster
Update, well today was day 4 without the desert 50 coil bulb and he seemed to be feeling a lot better today, both eyes open and walking around a lot more. I couldnt even keep him on my lap to feed him his pumpkin, lol... He definitely seems to be feeling a lot better, but i still dont see any bowel movement in his viv... and he still wont chase his food... continuing with the pumpkin and prunes with pedialyte still until he has a bowel movement... but at least he is seeming to feel better, been taking him outside for his uvb since i took the bulb out... im building a rack system right now so once i get that finished he will be in there with a brand new arcadia 12% uvb bulb in there. Things are looking up though, he sure seems to be a trooper for how tiny he is :)

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
So happy to hear he is doing better! Keep up the good work,,hopefully he will soon go poo for you!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Bearded dragons don't absorb water thru their skin, only thru their waste vent. Some water is absorbed into their system and some remains in the bowel acting like an enema to help the stool pass. Reptiles don't do very well with any meds. The more natural you can treat, the better. After trying warm soaks, applesauce, pumpkin, or prunes with oil, or dipping a feeder in oil and feeding it to him, and he still hasn't had a stool, I'd not give stool softener. I'd take him to a vet.
Amanda

InfantryMcLellen

Original Poster
Well heres the good news... wake up this morning and he went poo last night, very odd though... its in little spots all over the tank, and a couple places looks like he was trying to go and walk at the same time so its kinda smudged (TMI i know, lol) At least he went to the bathroom, i still cant get him to chase a roach down n eat it, but he just got over being sick, so hopefully he will be back chasing them in the next day or two. :) :) Thanks everyone for your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No one is claiming you are giving bad advice. However, we have a lot of new members & keepers on this board & it is not usually desirable to self treat when one is inexperienced.
When you refer to a natural stool softener exactly what is in it & how much dosage wise is given? I am sure that you can respect the fact that a lot of people are unsure of how to dose, etc so it is good to be careful on telling people of new methods that are not routinely practiced. I am familiar with enemas, as they are used somewhat frequently, but have not heard of stool softeners specifically used. I am always game to learn more.

What we normally recommend here & on most boards is unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin, along with a few drops of olive or mineral oil. That combined with extra oral fluids & baths usually helps with breaking up impactions on most occasions.

I am glad to hear he is doing better! The Arcadia D3 12% light will do good for him, too. Please keep us posted on him & I hope he continues to improve.

Tracie

InfantryMcLellen

Original Poster
All my beardies love their arcadia 12% bulbs, i noticed when i got my first one how much their colors brightened up, and they got more alert/energetic. Rack system is almost complete will post pics when i am finished :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom