Baby bearded dragon color change. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbaby42

About two weeks ago I got a baby bearded dragon, he’s been doing really good he’s been eating moving around exploring, but a few days ago I noticed his color has gotten a little darker but at night his color goes back to how it usually is. I’ve been really paranoid because this is my first bearded dragon and I’m just worried about everything that’s going on. But since his color is getting darker. When he lays at his basking spot he spreads his back legs out and his eyes seem sunken in. And idk what to do to make him happy and comfortable in his enclosure. Please help!

Zbaby42

Original Poster
About two weeks ago I got a baby bearded dragon, he’s been doing really good he’s been eating moving around exploring, but a few days ago I noticed his color has gotten a little darker but at night his color goes back to how it usually is. I’ve been really paranoid because this is my first bearded dragon and I’m just worried about everything that’s going on. But since his color is getting darker. When he lays at his basking spot he spreads his back legs out and his eyes seem sunken in. And idk what to do to make him happy and comfortable in his enclosure. Please help!

Coloration change on the back is completely normal, typically darker when they are cold to absorb more heat, and lighter when comfortable or slightly warm. I will ask, though, what lighting to you use in your tank? Could you send a picture of him when doing the basking behavior? He could be just trying to absorb as much heat as possible, as for the eyes being sunken in, please send a picture. Is his behavior normal? Is he still active and curious, alert and roaming around?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they lighten to reflect heat or darken to absorb it. Color change, to an extent, is fairly normal. Can you post some photos of him? That will help us get a better idea of his overall condition. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Zbaby42

Original Poster
reptilez12":38f7qfpg said:
Coloration change on the back is completely normal, typically darker when they are cold to absorb more heat, and lighter when comfortable or slightly warm. I will ask, though, what lighting to you use in your tank? Could you send a picture of him when doing the basking behavior? He could be just trying to absorb as much heat as possible, as for the eyes being sunken in, please send a picture. Is his behavior normal? Is he still active and curious, alert and roaming around?
The lighting is two thrive 5.5 deep dome lamps. One has a thrive 13 watt uvb bulb the basking light has thrive 150 watt basking bulb. Yes he’s still active, when I bring out Dubia Roaches he runs to the glass. I see him jumping around on his tree and his repti net. But even his stomach gets darker.

Ahhh, stomach darkening spots are stress spots. The UVB lighting is not enough, I suggest a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB. That's good that he is active, though to clear up some of the stress I suggest better UVB, as that's the only thing seemingly wrong. Pictures would also be helpful for the eyes being sunken in, as well as a look at those stress marks to see how dark they are.

Zbaby42

Original Poster
CooperDragon":brvdw3z8 said:
Sometimes they lighten to reflect heat or darken to absorb it. Color change, to an extent, is fairly normal. Can you post some photos of him? That will help us get a better idea of his overall condition. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.
How do I thread a photo?

Zbaby42":1rknntb8 said:
CooperDragon":1rknntb8 said:
How do I thread a photo?
All you have to do is click that link, upload your picture, and then once typing use the XIMG button to upload into your reply. These screenshots should help.
107705-7237397628.jpg
107705-8217920595.jpg
107705-1234010202.jpg

Zbaby42

Original Poster
reptilez12":jbbuq5ph said:
Ahhh, stomach darkening spots are stress spots. The UVB lighting is not enough, I suggest a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB. That's good that he is active, though to clear up some of the stress I suggest better UVB, as that's the only thing seemingly wrong. Pictures would also be helpful for the eyes being sunken in, as well as a look at those stress marks to see how dark they are.
I saw that some bearded dragons has natural marks. and mine has natural marks even when he is his normal color. When he darkens his back for more heat can that cause the marks to be more noticeable?

I am researching a bit now, though have you uploaded a picture? Depending on how dark they are, that would help me identify. How cool is the cool spot in your tank compared to the basking? It is not, to my knowledge, typical for a beardie to have permanent dark marks on their belly. I don't believe the stress marks correlate with the darker coloration of the back, as those are related to temperature. From my understanding, the stress marks will remain until your dragon calms completely.

Zbaby42

Original Poster
reptilez12":3vvvtd9x said:
Zbaby42":3vvvtd9x said:
CooperDragon":3vvvtd9x said:
How do I thread a photo?
All you have to do is click that link, upload your picture, and then once typing use the XIMG button to upload into your reply. These screenshots should help.
107705-7237397628.jpg
107705-8217920595.jpg
107705-1234010202.jpg
Here’s a picture of him
107738-2342999145.jpg

Zbaby42

Original Poster
reptilez12":339frbd8 said:
I recommend reading https://totalbeardeddragon.com/bearded-dragon-stress-marks/, as it shows many reasons and ways to rid of stress marks. It also states that babies are known for keeping them until adulthood from just one small thing causing them stress, though this is not for 100% of babies. I still would get that UVB light upgraded, as it can later affect appetite and health as well.
So sometimes they have them until adulthood? I’ve watched videos on YouTube and videos of bearded dragons and noticed some adults have the same marks even when they are calm like my bearded dragon has.

Zbaby42":2omr44ef said:
reptilez12":2omr44ef said:
I recommend reading https://totalbeardeddragon.com/bearded-dragon-stress-marks/, as it shows many reasons and ways to rid of stress marks. It also states that babies are known for keeping them until adulthood from just one small thing causing them stress, though this is not for 100% of babies. I still would get that UVB light upgraded, as it can later affect appetite and health as well.
So sometimes they have them until adulthood? I’ve watched videos on YouTube and videos of bearded dragons and noticed some adults have the same marks even when they are calm like my bearded dragon has.
Only some, and even though they are calm, that doesn't mean they aren't feeling the stress of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom