Baby bearded dragon acting very strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I got a baby bearded dragon who was fine yesterday and today he has had his head caulked sideways and running sideways as well. He does not want to move much but when I make him he is moving funny....All temps are correct and his inclosure is good (I breed beardies so familiar with this all) I have just never had this problem please help. This was not a beardie I breed but I have had him 2 weeks so he is 4 weeks old now. He practically looks like he is laying on his side partically! he has ate a few crickets powdered with calcium today and drank the water from the zuccini I put in their.........He was so health one day and wierd the next......

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I am wondering what kind of UVB you are using, and how much calcium are you offering ?
The symptoms you are describing sound suspiciously like the beginnings of poor UVB.
Hope this helps.
Janie.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Is there any possibilty he overheated somehow? I know you said you are a breeder, but along with what UVB and Calcium intake answers to Janie's questions, would you also mind including your temps and what you are measuring them with?

nikkiwow26

Original Poster
he has a brand new 10.0 uvb bulb and gets calcium once or twice a week powdered on his crickets. His cage temp is around 85% like I said hes only 4 weeks old so I keep themps around this untile 6-8 weeks.

He is still looking up sideways consistantly....... any furher ideas. Also can a vet see a baby that young. He is a very dark deep red baby I planned on keeping and i will be so upset if he dies. I have 68 baby bearded dragons all getting the same care and hes the only one acting wierd. They all get the same care have same temps and new lights........

nikkiwow26

Original Poster
Oh the type of therm. I use is one with a cord that test temp and humidity. It has worked great for me and should for the pretty penny it costed.

nikkiwow26

Original Poster
yes and I keep the uvb bulb 2 1/2 foot away from the babies to avoid hurting their eyes. I know their has beena lot of contreversy on the reptiglow. I however have never had a problem and keep the lights further away than a normal uvb bulb. I just dont unerstand out for 68 babies he is the only one acting wierd...it makes me wonder if its a medical problem.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Well, seeing how you have other beardies in the same conditions and none of them have been acting strange, I would think maybe it's not the set up. That's not to say that it couldn't be.

You have the ReptiGLO 10, which you already know is a problem uvb bulb. At 30", I really cannot imagine any of them are benefiting from that bulb at all. It's much too far away for any fluorescent uvb source. The 85 degree temp, is that basking or ambient? I don't think they can digest their food at those temps. I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to beat you up...besides we need to worry more about the problem at hand.

It sounds like it could be a medical condition with only one beardie being affected. It could possibly be neurological. Did this beardie fall from anything or get injured that you know of? Is it possible he may have fallen from something in the enclosure?

I am no medical expert in this field, just trying to help out! We have a moderater, Tracie.... who may be able to give you some answers. I will pm her and when she comes online she will give you advice as to what might be going on with your little guy.

Hang in there!

nikkiwow26

Original Poster
I just went and measured how far away my uvb bulb is....its a little under 2 ft. away. The baby has not fell from my knowledge at all. However I am not sure all the hear say about the reptiglow is true. I have never had a problem with these bulbs at all. I am friends with another breeder that uses the same bulbs and has breed for 30+years and is perfectly happy with the bulbs wiothout problems. I am not trying to argue with anyone by no means dont get me wrong but the reptiglow brand and how it effects is an opinion I have never got statistics on a reasurch done about it.

As far as digesting their food that is no proble. They crap like theirs no tomorrow. Its constantly eat sleep crap LOL.

I am certain this guy has some medical problem but not sure what it could be. That is basically my question, what medical problem could it be? :?
Thank you all for trying to help me.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Did you get her from a reputable breeder? On a similar post the possibility of inbreeding was discussed. Neurological problems such a this can occur from inbreeding. Is that a possibility with this dragon?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I did put in a pm to Tracie. She has alot of knowledge in the health and medical aspect of beardies. Hopefully she can give you the answer you are looking for.

Good luck with your little guy!

Dawn

nikkiwow26

Original Poster
I got the baby as a group from an individual....I never suspected interbreeding however I guess without knowing them can never rule it out either. What does interbreeding do to a baby? This is one subject I have never delt with LOL. I look at it if i wouldnt do my brother I wouldnt let my dragon do hers and just assumend thats how others thought also.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I think most people do realize that inbreeding can be dangerous and do not do it, but when it does happen, just like in humans, defects are much more likely. I do not know how or why, but I have heard that inbreeding in dragons can cause neurological problems.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, there is a split of people who have used the Reptiglo 10 with horrible results, while others claim they have not had any problems. The bottom line of it, this light has been tested officially. The test data will be released soon.
This particular light when it was previously tested, has emitted low wavelength UVB frequency that is borderline UVC. It has less UVA emissions as well, which is hard on the eyes. This wavelength is not conducive to vitamin D3 synthesis which, over time, can lead to metabolic bone disease. What bothers me is when someone uses a bulb that is weak in UVB emissions, depending on genetics, some dragons may immediately fall prey to metabolic bone disease, while others may take up to several years to show signs of it. Rest assured, they do need UVB & if they are not exposed to a decent amount of it fairly regularly they will eventually have problems. After all, look where they come from! Australia, & that place has alot of sun! So, that being said, it is up to you whether or not to get a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb.
However, you are saying that the UVB is around 24 inches away? Wow, what little UVB emissions that bulb does emit, he wont benefit at all from it at that distance. How far is the basking light from him?
What type of basking light are you using?
The 85, you had a % sign by the 85, are you referring to humidity, or ambient temps or basking temps? The basking temps should be 95-110 & the ambient temps should not exceed 85 for proper thermoregulation. The cool side should run around 78-82.
What type of thermometer are you using, a stick on type, a digital probe or a temp gun?
Does he stare upwards, or just seem off balanced? It could be several things from dehydration, to a viral or bacterial infection, or even improper temperatures as well. Inbreeding does occur more often than you realize. The high color morphs are products of inbreeding to some extent. Do you know if he was possibly one of the last eggs to hatch? Or if he had any problems hatching out? If you don't know, I think it would be a good idea to ask because that can help determine what could be going on. If he had problems hatching out then he may have some other problems that caused him to be late on hatching out, etc. So that information would be helpful.
How old is he?

Tracie

nikkiwow26

Original Poster
he is only 4 weeks old.....i got him at two weeks of age... His basking area and Uv are both have decorations where they can climb higher to get more heat or more UV as they wish. He was not late hatching and is bigger than many of them from the same clutch. he caulkes his head sideways and wobbles like he is unsteady I give them all water and veggies at night. He did however drink alot last night.

He seams to be doing better this afternoon not all caulked sideways but he does wobble when walking still. He is eating great! Just acted very funny last night and still has some signs of his funny acts.....My husband did mark him with a sharpie to know thats the one he wants to keep could he have ink poison? I never mark them this young and my hubby did it while I was out. (he got his azz chewed out for it to!)

Also can you please notify me when the results of the UVB reptiglow results come out and where to locate them. If statistics prove its bad I will change them all without hesitating!

Thank you all so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom