Automatic timers on lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyrosmom

So I've been keeping it complicated for myself over the last 4 months. Every morning I turn on spyros uvb light and basking light and turn off 1 of his 2 ceramic heaters. At night, I turn off the basking bulb and uvb light, then turn on the 2nd of the 2 ceramic heaters (one ceramic is on at all times). I am going on vacation for 5 days! I'm worried my parents will get confused about his lights and something will go wrong. Are the timers you can plug the lights into that turn them on and off automatically at certain times reliable? Or am I better off taking a chance on leaving my parents very clear instructions on his care? Or maybe sending him to the pet store to be boarded for the 5 days? I'm worried that will stress him wayyyy too much. Just like most of you I'm sure, Spyro is my BABY. I love him so much and just NEED him to be happy and healthy when I return. Please let me know what you think is the best option!

label

Hatchling Member
I use them on all my enclosures; the power loads are well within the capability of the timers. I mostly use the mechanical ones (that you set with little tabs) as I usually lose the instructions on how to reset the digital ones. I did have one that lost about 15 minutes/day but otherwise they work well.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep. Outlet timers are great. I suggest using them even when you're home. The set it and forget it aspect is fantastic

I got my old one from a hardware store, worked great for many years! Always reliable, but after a while I could hear the ticking and drove me nuts

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
I got my timer from amazon relatively cheap ($20) and it has made my life soooo much easier!!! I think it maybe a zoomed brand, but it's white a digital

We bought these after only a week of turning on the lights manually. It is so much better. You don't have to be awake/home for the proper lighting to automatically turn on. Your parents should be told what the schedule is so they can notice if something is not on when it should be, however.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Light timers are great! Picked two up for super cheap on amazon, or they have them at any hardware store, Walmart, Target, etc. Both me and my boyfriend are in the restaurant industry and end up working crazy weird hours, so timers were the way to go for us.
melissasiobhan":3gu2s63y said:
Your parents should be told what the schedule is so they can notice if something is not on when it should be, however.
^^Totally agree there, too. I've never had any problems with the timers, but it never hurts to have everyone on the same page!

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
Thank you all so much. The thought of leaving my boy at the pet store was absolutely terrifying to me, but my dad isn't the best with instructions and he would have been the one turning the lights ON in the morning, which of course is very important. I'll write down the schedule for them and monitor the timers over the next couple of days to make sure everything is doing what it needs to do. That will make me feel so much better! Also trying to convince my mom to give Spyro some TLC is going to be fun ? Yay!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Timers are absolutely wonderful when they are set properly. :D
They put your mind at ease, if you are gone, or if someone else will be caring for your dragon awhile with you gone.
Hopefully the timer will work just fine.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom