Australian Roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

redline

hey all,
as u may have read i am a new member and not yet a beardie owner (have to wait for my license to come before i can pick him up from the shop)

i have got some WOODIE ROACHES???

can anyone tell me are these the Blaptica Dubia roaches u have over there or do i need to post some pics of what i have?

the reason i ask is i have a plastic tub/lid that i feel is VERY SMOOTH to touch, BUT these roaches can easily and quickly climb the sides and escape, these roaches are also rather fast, IMO,

any help please

patrickb

Juvie Member
It would definitely help if you could post some pics of these "Woodie Roaches" Not sure of the slang over there, but I doubt what you have are Dubias. They don't climb well, though there are tubs that appear smooth with they can still climb, and given that they have food/water and hiding places they wouldn't even be attempting to climb in the first place. Also Dubias are not really very fast at all, especially considering they are roaches. Post some pics and we will find out what they are!

Here is another Australian Roach. By the way the "Woodies" did you buy them or were they wild caught if bought then most likely they are lobster roaches. These are Drymaplaneta semivitta. We sold the group maybe less than a year ago dont know much about them. Do they look familiar to you there in Australia
Drymaplaneta_semivitta_3.jpg

3788.jpg

Drymaplaneta_semivitta_2.jpg

Digby Rigby [email protected]

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Hi - I buy the wood cockroaches in Australia. They're very fast & I haven't found a substrate they can't climb over and do so very quickly. I transfer mine in to a larger container with a vented lid - decreases the risk of escapees as there's longer to the top. Wanted to start breeding them and was advised to put them in some woodchip (from pet store) Have found they're real happy to bury themselves in there, & if you leave the egg containers on top, you'll always find some just under these so u don't have to dig for them. Remember to put food in, and care sounds much the same as for the US breed. Hope that helps - Kathy

redline

Original Poster
Ryan Maguire":aefbb said:
Woodies are Nauphoeta cinerea, aka the Lobster Roach.
Yes, they are good feeders!

thanks for the replies,

I have contacted a person who breeds them here and ur correct, Nauphoeta cinerea, very easy to breed, same care as the Dubia BUT fast, climb anything lol,

I have them in the same tub but have some vaseline around the top 3 inches and it stops them in their tracks, have a heat mat in there that reads 80F. they seem very active and scooting around.

once again thanks for the replies i was worried for a bit lol

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Hey again. Just as a point of interest, I've discovered when you want to feed the woodies out, if you sprinkle some Reptical (for dusting) in a container first, add the woodies and dust completely, it restricts their climbing ability to nil so u can catch them one at a time to feed, plus your beardie has a much fairer chance of catching them too! Hope it all helps :)

redline

Original Poster
here are some pics taken this arvo of my roaches,

can anyone tell me the yellow sack like thing is that an eggs sack about to be laid?

dragon082.jpg

dragon075.jpg

dragon086.jpg

dragon074.jpg

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
Thats the ootheca, or egg sack. They are not about to be laid (lobster roaches, aka woodies, give brith to live young), but the female is transfering the egg sack from her fertilization chamber, to her brood chamber. Try not to disturb her during this process, as she can easily abort the egg sack.

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Hey, pretty cool pics! I'm just getting into breeding woodies and had no idea, so I'm pleased you brought it up. Yeah, I'm in Toowoomba, Qld- see you're at Caboolture - that makes us nearly neighbours (joking!) - Kathy

kirby

Extreme Poster
you will need to buy some fluon ADI from http://www.herpshop.com.au to stop them escaping.

they are speckled feeder roaches, Nauphoeta cinerea. and the only kind of roach you can get in Australia.

other then that, you have crickets, and silkworms (when in season)

redline

Original Poster
SunshineLollipop":d95d5 said:
Hey, pretty cool pics! I'm just getting into breeding woodies and had no idea, so I'm pleased you brought it up. Yeah, I'm in Toowoomba, Qld- see you're at Caboolture - that makes us nearly neighbours (joking!) - Kathy

fluon sounds like it is the ideal solution but a smear of vaseline around the inside a few inches from the top has fixed mine real good :blob5: :blob5: :blob5:

Ryan Maguire

Sub-Adult Member
When I first got my roaches I thought the roach was infected with a parasite and I was about to kill it. Then I came on here to figure out what it was and thank god I didn't squish her :p

redline

Original Poster
here are some macro shots of the roaches at feeding time, i have carrot and some banana in there along with some gutload and some pellets that came with them when i got thim in the mail.

dragon4018.jpg

dragon4013.jpg

dragon4004.jpg

dragon4022.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom