Attempt at a colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutopsySoldier

Hatchling Member
Can I give my superworms water crystals? Has anyone tried this? I want to start a colony but don't really want to keep buying potatoes for superworms...although, I really don't know how much they cost, never had to buy potatoes before, lol.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, buy yourself some of those big monster sized tweezers they will come in handy!

Does anyone know if goldfish flakes can be add to the superworm bedding? I have a ton of it left over from those stinky crickest I used to have. The dubia don't seem to like it. There has got to be a use for it, I hate throwing stuff away!

Jen

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For a second I thought you were someone in my house that I knew taking pictures of my colony. It looks exactly like yours with the 3 drawers and the dividers. And you do it exactly how I have been doing it so it freaked me out LOL. Don't worry the beetles really don't bite and I have never got a stinky from them and have never heard about that either. Don't pick them up with tweezers because you will squish them since they are still really soft. None of my beetles have got out of the drawer btw.

Yeah fish flakes can be mixed in I suppose, they will just eat it and fish food is usually high in calcium.

Also I would advise not using water gels. Just buy a big bag of potatoes or carrots or apples. They just need the moisture not really the water

-brandon

HYPORollo

Juvie Member
wow sarah you sure have taken the info you got and ran with it im soo happy to see your project took off and now look your helping so many others way to go and the info your giving is spot on i now have another 500 pupae turning into beetles which will make over 1000 beetles now soon you will be on your way to my level lol :wink: but keep up the good work and if you have any more questions you know you can just ask hey maybe ow you can start mealworms too lol but they are alittle bit more of a pain well glad to see your progress

This is a really good thread :) I think i could persuade the misses into letting me keep worm's, breeding cricket's was a no no :( :(

This detailed outlay, i think ill give it ago myself and if Jodie like's them, then another staple to add to my list and sounds cheaper alternative

Thank you for taking the time
John

AutopsySoldier

Hatchling Member
Hey guys...are "quick-oats" ok to use? I bought myself 500 supers and I only had quick-oats, not the raw oats. Are these ok, or should I go get plain, raw oats?

HYPORollo

Juvie Member
i think there fine but yopu might want to switch over to raw oats just to be on the safe side i have all mine wheat bran and it works just fine so thats another thing you can use as well

AutopsySoldier

Hatchling Member
Is wheat bran in the same isle as oats in like...Wal-Mart? I don't think I've ever seen it....never really looked for it though. I'll go and look for some this weekend though.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
How about wheat germ? I can't find wheat bran, but I have seen wheat germ. What's the differance anyway?

Jen

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Before the supers pupate, and while they're seperated do they need to be fed? I know they need no bedding so it stresses them out enough to pupate, but I just wanna know if I should drop a piece of carrot or potato or oat or something in there for 'em...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No do not feed them. If you feed them they will have no need to pupate. If you stress them out and give them no food they have no choice but to turn into a pupa.

-Brandon

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
FaaFaa":b34a4 said:
How about wheat germ? I can't find wheat bran, but I have seen wheat germ. What's the differance anyway?

Jen
I have no idea what wheat germ is unfortunately :? Maybe someone else can help you there!
ajkry2":b34a4 said:
Before the supers pupate, and while they're seperated do they need to be fed? I know they need no bedding so it stresses them out enough to pupate, but I just wanna know if I should drop a piece of carrot or potato or oat or something in there for 'em...

I was trying to answer that question but the board went offline for me and Brandon beat me to it, lol. But he gave you the right information there. They eventually will pupate even if you put food in there, but it will take a lot longer. I have a few supers put aside that I put bedding and food into their containers and they still haven't pupated yet. When a few of the others are almost beetles. So there's a little comparison for you :wink:

Thanks for answering that Brandon!!

I've almost got beetles!! A few of the first pupaes' legs are turning a reddish color, so a few more days, possibly a week and I'll have a beetle! :)

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":4acaa said:
No do not feed them. If you feed them they will have no need to pupate. If you stress them out and give them no food they have no choice but to turn into a pupa.

-Brandon

Thanks dude! appreciate the help :mrgreen:

SARBEAR":4acaa said:
I've almost got beetles!! A few of the first pupaes' legs are turning a reddish color, so a few more days, possibly a week and I'll have a beetle! :)
awesome! say, what's the time frame for this thing? sounds like about 10 days for pupae, but how long before beetles? and do you know how long the beetles will take to lay eggs/eggs to hatch for numalicious wormy action? :dontknow:

Great write-up!! Funny enough, I'd been plannin to start my own colony and Friday I hit up walmart and bought that same craft box and 3 drawer setup! Crazy!! My only concern on the 3 drawers is when we get to the beetle stage, with adding objects to climb (egg carton), with it only being like 4" deep, will they escape? I know the worms are fine, but I dont want those lil beetles getting out!! My roach colony is doin great so I figured I'd give these a try, so we'll see what happens. I'm hoping to see the pupae stage by end of this week/beginning of next. If this goes well, silkworms and hornworms are next!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom