At a loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Ok so I've Harley almost 2 years and she has been great except not eating veggies. Anyways back in November she got RI so I took her into the vet. I had blood work done, a mouth culture and the vet did some kind of listening machine hooked up to Harleys chest and said there was no pneumonia. So anyways, she asked if I wanted oral baytril or injections of some Cep something. I opted for baytril as im squeamish about needles.

So while we waited for the culture to come back, I gave Harley her 10 day prescription of Baytril and it seemed to clear it up. Then the culture came back and it was enterobacteria which the baytril was sensitive to so it should kill it. Her blood test came back and the vet said everything looked good except for a little high protein but that was probably because Harley doesn't like veggies and really only wants to eat roaches, silkworms and hornworms.

Well everything looked great until around the 2nd week in December. Harley started coughing a little. So I called the vet back and she gave me a 14 day baytril and said, the first treatment maybe didn't get it all. So I gave her the 14 day baytril and she still coughed some and didn't like the baytril. So after we finished it, Harley seemed fine except for some coughing but otherwise she seemed happy. I thought maybe I need to wait for the baytril to all get out of her system and stuff.

Well fast forward to now and Harley really isn't coughing anymore, usually only once or twice at night when she is laying on me and not every night. She never black beards or shows any uncomfort. She is stretches out and gets her sexy legs going every day and loves eating her hornworms...or any worm for that matter. She is alert and loves to watch tv or me when I'm on the computer. She loves to sleep on me at night wrapped up in her blanket. I keep her around 80f at night and during the day she has a basking spot of 100-105f with a cool spot of 82f. She is lazy due to winter so she likes to hang out in the 82f area. She has a Zoo Med T5 Reptisun 10.0 as well as a T5 daylight bulb and her basking bulb of course.

My problem is her mouth seems kind of wet inside and most of the time she sits with just the tip of her mouth cracked open like a derp moment. But if something gets her attention she will snap her mouth closed. So it seems the derp moment is only when she is relaxing. I'm debating taking her back to the vet for another mouth culture. The whole ordeal is pretty stressful for Harley as she is shy and the last time she got scared and pooped all over the nurse and the floor and then jumped on me and hid under my chin. Im just wondering do some beardies just have a wet mouth? And do some just do the derp thing with the tip of the mouth cracked open? She seems overall happy with never black bearding or black stomach except when on the baytril.

Maybe if Tracy or someone else who is very familiar with beardies can shed some light or give some advice, that would be great. I'm thinking of waiting till end of next month and maybe taking her back for another mouth culture but like I said, if it is something that Harley might lick herself, I would rather not subject her to the stress again. Thanks.

Oh also, Harley hasn't lost any weight and is actually fat. At the vet checkup, she weighed in at 695g and she is about 17 inches. Even the vet said she was fat and I think Harley took offense to it because when the vet tried the mouth swab, Harley bit the swab stick in half and both the nurse and vet said "Wow, Harley has a strong mouth".

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If she isn't showing signs of it bothering her, I would probably keep an eye on it and see if she can fight the rest off herself. I've seen them keep just the front of their mouth open a little bit and snap it shut when distracted, that's normal as far as I know. Is her mouth just wet looking, or is it thick and slimy? When Dundee opens his mouth, it is very slimy and it looks like he is going to blow a big bubble with mucous. If she isn't showing that or coughing often, I wouldn't put her through the stress of Baytril for now. If it seems to get worse, then I'd probably get another culture done. If it stays the same, maybe just wait until spring and try treatment again.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It's not thick and slimy. Just wet looking or moist looking. No bubbles or spit strings or anything like that. And yes she doesn't seem uncomfortable or anything. She is still her stretching, sexy leg, people/tv watching dragon. Always bright colored and wont eat her salad for the life of her!!! :banghead: I've tried collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens, bok choy, yam, all squashes, red bell pepper, arugula, apple, mango, grapes, and I'm sure other stuff I cant even remember now. When she does nibble on the greens, its collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens and mango. Butternut squash is acceptable if finely grated and held in my hand in little balls.....she is so spoiled :roll: Of course any kind of worm, she will look up and just about jump on it when I put it in front of her.

And thanks. I guess I will wait and see then. If I have to do any more meds for her, i'll probably take her in for another mouth culture first as I don't want to really just give her meds unless I know its going to cure it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Cooper.....a wet mouth is not a sign of illness, and the slightly open tip is no biggy either. She'll probably be fine....and too many courses of antibiotics in a short period of time can itself produce health problems. As for her weight,so Harley is a plus sized beardie ? :) Now is the time to limit the fatty feeder insects, reduce the amount and offer the type of greens that you have had success with. Stick to it , because as she gets older that extra weight will compromise her health, including fat pushing on her lungs, affecting her joints and her vital organs. She's young, so do it slowly but stick to it....don't cave in + feel sorry for her. One day she may surprise you and decide to eat all that greenery that she's been snubbing. Try crickets + roaches too instead of all worms.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks. Yeah I got a huge dubia colony and Harley ate dubias since she was a 6 week old baby. She hates crickets ever since she tried a dubia :lol: And I've been trying to cut down on her worms but she looks so happy when I feed them to her :lol: She sees the worm tub and she runs over to them, about the only time she actually moves fast or determined. I just cave in :( I've been offering her a salad every day though, she looks at it and then looks at me like "so whats this for? I don't see any worms in this thing so it cant be food"

And I figured too much meds isn't good. Harley was a trooper taking her Baytril though. She hated it and would black beard me a little and after the first treatment, she would run away from me when I brought out the medicine bottle :lol: She would run up the back of the couch, then run along the top of the back and jump over to the chair by it. Never would think a fat lizard like her could run or jump but she did when she saw her medicine bottle.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She sounds like a sweet girl and a great little scaly friend. :) Kudos to her for taking her nasty meds. so well too !

Dont give in to her! I know it might be hard. I feed my dragon the salad before the main course. I give him some time.to eat it and he does! Then I give him a little bit of worms(not too much)

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well as an update, Harley has quit coughing and her mouth doesn't seem really wet anymore. She actually ate some salad too but it took 2 days of nothing to eat except when I hand feed her collard greens. She wandered over to her salad bowl and ate some red bell peppers mixed with collard, dandelion and mustard greens. So I'm still not sure whether it was the 10 day and then 14 day treatments of baytril drying her out and giving her a cough or whether having the CHE at night helped her kick any residual RI she had but knock on wood that she stays fine. Since she got sick, I went OCD and sprayed everything with Chlorhexadine daily as well as wiping anything down that she would sit on with it and washing my hands with it. But now I found something else Harley will eat. So we are up to collard, mustard, dandelion greens, mango, butternut squash, blueberry rarely and now red bell peppers.

Anyways, thanks for the help and advice guys. Never had a sick reptile as I'm pretty OCD about their care so I was drilling the vet and nurses for like 30 mins on how Harley could have gotten RI. I bet they hate me :lol: They basically told me that the bacteria she had, Enterobacteria is pretty common and on most things and found in dirt as well. They said maybe Harley got chilled from a bath or stressed for some reason or just her immune system took a hiccup, the bacteria was able to get a hold and it goes from there since usually their immune systems will keep that stuff from getting a foothold. Anyways, thanks again for the advice guys. Now to work on her weight as she is a chubster and that really shows when she is sexy legging it on her blanket and letting it all hang out :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom