At a loss as to what is going on with this dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave my friend two of my babies from my last clutch. ALL my babies have been doing great but one lil guy she has. She got him at two months old and I never had a problem with him, except he was a bully and had to be kept separate. She had him for a month and late one night called me he was flattened out wouldn't move or open his eyes. I went over and when he was moved he started seizing. His belly was distended. He seized for almost 24 hours before getting him to pass stool. Then was fine. She had fed him wax worms and the stool he passed was the whole case of the worm. So I told her not to feed the worms anymore. Just to be safe till he gets older.
Two months have gone by and I got a call two days ago he didn't look right to her. So I went over to see. He is not as active as any of the other babies or like he used to be. She said he has been drinking a lot of water the past couple of days. To me he looks like he has sleepy eyes and dosen't fully hold his head up. I gave her electrolyte drops to try and perk him up. It has but today he dosen't want to eat at all.

His temps Hot side is 97 and cool side 85
She uses dragon dust vitamins twice a week
Feeds crickets, roman hearts, chicken baby food, broccoli tops???0-o, has pellet food always in bowl (? on broccoli, asked why she wasen't feeding carrots and adding fruit daily she said he gets fruit once a week)
Has reptile basking and spot lamps unsure of brand

The other dragon is absolutely fine which is why I'm not sure what is going on. I made it a point to give more variety of veggies not just two and I'm not sure of the broccoli.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Teps are to low for him to digest his food. His temps should be between 105 and 110f they need that to properly digest the food they eat. Waxworms don't have a shell so it might of been mealworms witch can cause impaction in beardies. First beardie we had got impacted off them it was awful. Heres a website with a list of all foods you can give and shouldnt give your beardie. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html Crickets ,silkworms are a good live feeder staple for little guys. Mustard,colard greens are a good staple veggie for a beardie and are pretty cheap. What is being used on the floor of his viv. Sand ,carpet ,tile ,woodchips? What kind of UVB light is being used? Beardies normaly dont drink from a dish. Do they bathe the beardie? It helps to keep them hydrated. Luke warm water up to the arm pits 20 mins every other day.

blackrose322123

Original Poster
I know it was weird but it was wax worms she fed him. I bought them for her. I'm not sure as to what brand the bulbs are. She uses carpet for the cage. He does drink from the water bowl. I just called her and she said he puts his head down in the water, dinks drinks drinks then raises head up and keeps mouth open and extends beard. He dose that for a few mins after each time he drinks. She also told me he is always drinking or laying in the water now.

TY for the list Ii am going to print it out for her.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Oh thats great that she has one that drinks. Only 1 out of my 5 will drink from the dish in the viv. Must of been undigested waxworms. Those are super high in fat so they cant be used as a staple but as a treat like giving our of our children a candybar. Just thought id toss that in there. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

msmaui

Juvie Member
Are the two beardies being kept together? If so, they should be separated immediately. It's never safe to keep them together. One could be dominating the other. At the least, the one that's sick could infect the other one.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So she is using dragon dust only 2 times per week? Does she use straight calcium 5 times per week for his bones?
Please check with her as to the type & brand of UVB light she is using. Such as is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?

Tracie

blackrose322123

Original Poster
She is using dragon dust 2 times a week and calcium 5 times a week. She does not have a strip or a coil light. But is using Sun Glow spot and a regular Sun Glow bulb. She called my vet told him all she is doing and he wants her to bring in a stool sample for testing. We were having a hard time getting the temps higher without making them too high. Even tried the under the tank mat but it was way to hot and it was only meant for a 10 gal tank. So I gave her a heat rock and put a sock over it. To prevent him from burning his belly. After the introduction of the heat rock he has started eating his veggies and will ONLY eat pinheads and the beardie food if it's wet. ?????? lol we offered med crickets, roaches, wax worms nope he would have none of it. I'm curious if the test for parasites is neg could he just have a sensitive digestive system? If so would it be better to grind the prey and offer it? lol it sounds weird but I have a powder I put on my cats food to predigest it before he eats it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, most of the problem is going to be the lack of UVB exposure. He cannot absorb her calcium or vitamins without adequate UVB exposure. The Sun Glo unfortunately, is not a UVB light but it is a good basking light.
So I recommend getting a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube light for the UVB light. I think that will really help him improve alot. You can get it from:
http://www.petmountain.com for a great price.

Getting a fecal is a good idea, as well. Right now, he will most likely be under some stress because him lighting is not all correct.
I really don't recommend heat rocks, because they really can be quite dangerous. Besides, if the overhead heating is getting the temperatures where they need to be, using underbelly heating will overheat him too much. It is best to heat them from overhead.
Did you get the temps up to 95-110 yet?

He could have a sensitive digestive system just because of stress & not being able to digest or absorb things properly.

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

blackrose322123

Original Poster
HI neg on the fecal. The lighting we tried multiple things and it was getting way to hot. So after introducing the heat rock he is acting fine, like nothing happened. Weird lil guy, I think he did this on purpose for attention :wink: . She has a strip light as of today. TY everyone for the help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just do not think a heat rock is the best option. :| Do you have any overhead basking light at all? How many different wattages did you use to get the temps measured?
That is good the fecal was negative.
How is she doing today? Did she eat?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom