asthamic children allergic to roaches. need info on diff bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colesdad

this is a true thing. 1 in 5 asthmatic children are allergic to roaches. its like being allergic to dust mites, the bug themselves arent the problem, it is the feces. sounds gross, i know, but it is what it is. my 7 year old son had a rash on his chest for a few days and it kept getting larger, it was NOT itching though. my mother works in the doctors office, and has so for nearly 10 years, another 5 yr at a previous doctors office. my sons doctor has seen Cole since the first day, we truely trust him. he asked us about our routine and any weird things bc it looked like alllergy rash. eventually our dragon came up and after talking about things he decided that most likely it was the roaches. i value his opinion and trust him thoughly. so, roaches are not an option now at my house! so, this brings me to my question.....

we started with crickets for our dragon, slash, and he loved them. after introducing roaches, which he absolutly loved, he has no intrest in crickets. now he will eat a few and then just ignores them. we feed him outside of his enclosure and have since the first day, so this isnt an issue. after he quits, we even try to hand feed him, he used to gladly eat this way. he is offered his salad and we have seen him eat a little bit. he is 4 months and 11inches long, so is just getting used to eating greens, we have offeredd since day one but you know how picky little boogers they can be :) . naturally insects are a large part of a young one diet, so we need help. i have done tons of research online line (including this awesome place) and really not found the info i need. what other insect other, than roaches and crickets, are a good "staple"? i need something that can be given daily. the three of us sit down and feed him, so it has been really good familiy bonding time to chill with Slash and to feed him. we tried phoenix worms but they seem too crunchy, he is no longer interested in them and i read where they are not the best "staple". please help us help Slash. he is certainly not happy at us because we have taken away his favorite food.

*****all the info us guys ask of before WE answer questions :) :) *****
40 gal breeder
paper towel substrate
110 basking temp
80-85 cool side
long tube rept 10.0
(above mentioned diet)
dust food like we should, alternation 5x and 2x week with multivit
well behaved dragon, will hang out on shoulder outside, weather permitting. so he gets SOME natural light
held for a totall of 4 hours a day. not skitish at all!!
10/11 inches long
4 months old
weight not know but is certainly a big healthy boy :lol:
bathed once a day
has a good poop routine! in morning, same spot in enclosure (makes for happy slave, easy to clean) and poops in the afternoon

so, thats that. now, please us!

mikewithsfi

Hatchling Member
I understand your problem when I was a child I had crazy asthma attacks and I remember my mom always spraying for roaches. We never had roaches but she was always spraying. It turned out it was the gas we used for heating the house.. Crazy,,, so you want to replace the roaches. Every one talks about staple, i agree, but a staple can be a variety of proteins.

Depends on how big he is there are super worms (they do come in small or large), silk worms, horned worms, grubs, you can go back to crickets. There are other options, I feed my beardie, bearded dragon bites between the supers, and wax worms. So it is basically a trial and error. If he gets hungry enough he will eat what protein you put in front of him... thats sounds harsh but if he is healthy he will not let himself starve to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom