astarte is laying eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
She started about 45 min ago or so. Her normal bedtime is usually an hour ago. I think she keeps falling asleep. Should I just leave her in the bin overnight? I know I'm supposed to feed and bathe her when she's done, but what if it's really late? Any other advice, I'm a bit of a worry wort.

Update: she's burying them now, but wow she can't seem to get enough sand on them. she already got it level, and she's piling more on.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Let her finish covering them, then make sure she is dry....then just turn lights out. No food or drink until the a.m when she will bask and be able to digest. I've done it many times.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well I finally took her out after a long while burying her eggs. She kept patting it down and looking at me as if to say is good enough, then piling more sand on it. She was getting quite a huge mound and she looked so tired. My husband tried to attempted a count while she was still laying them and he said there was 14. I think she might have a little more. I gave her a quick bath to rehydrate her and she laid another egg in there. so I guess I'll give her more time in the box tomorrow.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
She started pacing again early today so I put her back in the bin. She didn't have any progress. She would dig in one spot, change her mind and dig somewhere else. After about 40 minutes she decided she wanted out, so I tried to feed her some roaches. She only ate about 3. She felt a bit cool, so I put her back in the tank to bask a bit, then I'll offer her more.

I haven't taken the eggs out yet, should I? or should I wait until she's finished?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, yes...the eggs must be taken out right away. They can still be fine, but if they set too long you have to be careful picking them up and placing them the way they were layed. Otherwise, you can just take them out and not be too concerned about it. You need to have your vermiculite or sand mix [ I use both ] or hatch-rite. Don't use eco-earth, it can get moldy.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Oh they're infertile. She hasn't even seen a male since she was a hatchling. I was just wondering if she would be upset by it since I don't think she's finished yet.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I found 2 more eggs in her blanket, so that brings the total eggs laid to 22!

I put her back in the bin a few times today, and all she did was pile more sand on the side she laid the eggs on and then try and get out. There hasn't been any restlessness in a few hours so I hope she's done. How can I tell she's done?

With the exception of the huge weight loss, she's been looking pretty good today. Nice color, alert all day, more energy than I expected. Looks like she's planning on going to sleep early tonight, but knowing what she's gone through in the last 10 hours I'm not surprised. I got her to eat 7 mediumish roaches, about 3/4-1 inch long over the course of 4 feedings. She didn't touch her salad.

She lost sooo much weight. Last week she was 396g, today 339! is that normal?

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
another update. Today she hasn't been looking too hot. She's been dark and laid around all day. She seems really tired. She did eat 10 roaches though and is up to 366g! No pacing today either.

discojan

Juvie Member
Our girl Electra is usually darkish and tired looking for several days, and sometimes up to a week after egg-laying. Keep feeding and bathing and loving her. After a week of Lizard spa treatment, she's usually back to her loving mellow self.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you for that. I've never had a lizard lay eggs before, so I really have no idea what to expect. I lost a dragon earlier this year rather unexpectedly. so I'm a little paranoid.

discojan

Juvie Member
Yes, we were surprised when Electra laid her first clutch in late October, then again in Nov. and if I'mnot mistaken I think she might lay another soon. Don't be surprised if she lays more clutches!

Also, our vet said you might want to give her some extra calcium for a few days after laying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom