Article on Mercury vapor lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

chels1983

Hello all! has anyone read Mellissa Kaplans article on Mercury vapor bulbs?
http://www.anapsid.org/mercuryvapor.html

I am not sure how accurate it is, but most of her articles are pretty good (with some exceptions). It's definitely better than most material out there anyways. She states that the bulbs are dangerous for lizards and humans. The article is older, its from 94, but she does add an update later:

September 28, 2001 Update
Zoo Med and T-Rex have both come out with mercury vapor products to compete with the Active UVHeat product. My comments for all mercury vapor products marketed for reptiles is the same as those above.

Also, here is the findings from UV guide: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapournarrowfloods.htm

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I have one adult beardie using a T-rex active uv heat 100 watt flood, and I have a baby that I was eventually going to get one for (when he moves into a larger cage)

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
You know you gotta remember this is a very old article, have you seen the mega rays work?
Talk to a member here named rosebud and you will see how she has saved so many bearded dragons just because she used the mega ray.

I would agree that probably in that time when they first came out they sucked and were very dangerous but it's been ten years alot happens then.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I totally agree with Poison the article is very out dated. And the MVB is used in many rescues and veterinary facilities around the world today. True UVB is not that good for humans this is why you need to use a dome with them. But as for the beardies I believe there is no better. :D I personally use them in all of my viv's and have for many years now. :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that the article is outdated and that the T-Rex and Megaray are the best.

[Moved from General Discussion to here as it is about enclosure items]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom