ARM INFECTION! please help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanjf

Original Poster
She almost ate a worm tonight, but unfortunately decided not to. She let me feed her by hand a little more than she had been but wasn't in the best mood for her medication. I let her crawl around on me for a little bit and I think she enjoyed that, then she ate and went back. Her tail was perked up and she was raised slightly so I know she's starting to get some energy, I just hope she starts eating on her own soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great she seems to be feeling a little bit better. Maybe the antibiotic is helping her out right now.
Hopefully she will start eating a little more too. If she will eat some out of your hand, that is helpful, also.
Let us know how things are going with her. :D

Tracie

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Oh my god that looks horrible....poor baby. I hope you can get her some vet attention and get it sorted out! I'm sure the pain is making her not want to eat and the infection could be spreading. I had a baby dragon out of my last clutch that had her arm badly bitten to the point of it just hanging off, so I took her to the vet I work at and we amputated it. She's doing wonderfully and if you have any questions I can help. We had her on pain meds (buprenex) and baytril antibiotics. Ellie did a great job rehabbing her.

She's now owned by Ellie on this site - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=138713&hilit=persephone

stanjf

Original Poster
Nora ate crickets today! She had about 5-7, some dusted with calcium, some dusted with vitamins. She was extremely feisty when I tried to give her the medicines so I'll have to try that a little later, but I guess it's call force feeding for a reason. She looks like she's doing a lot better. :D She's much more alert and goes back in the spots she likes and is moving around more than she had been.

When we were at the vet they said depending on how she seemed at the next appointment they were going to decide whether it was in her best interest to take the arm off completely. They said they were going to see how she was acting and how the arm looked, and depending on that they would possibly take an x-ray to see if her bone healed strangely or if it was infected. If there's too much of an infection or if her bone is infected, the rest of it will be removed, if not, they may leave it. What they said originally was that she thought the bone was infected because it looked odd, but when they looked in the arm, they expected a lot more "pus" than they found and said the strangeness of the bone might have been due to healing irregularly.

ANYWAY! I'm very happy she is acting better now and it definitely looks like she is feeling much better. Now we just have to wait and see what the vet says :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is excellent news that she is more active & eating well now.
The infection was definitely weighing her down then.
Would they leave the arm swollen like that? Perhaps they could just take part of it, so it would heal up better with a normal stump instead of it being so swollen.
I am happy to hear that she is doing better right now.

Keep us posted on her.
Thanks.
Tracie

stanjf

Original Poster
Well the first time i went there they took out everything that was in her arm so I don't think it'd be swollen anymore, but she's had a bandage on so I can't see it. I guess it depends on how it looks when they take it off but as of now amputating the arm seems to be the best idea, but we will just have to wait and see.

She woke up very nicely this morning, almost right after I changed her lights. She went right up to her little basking spot and lied down. She is definitely taking a turn for the better.

stanjf

Original Poster
Nora is doing well and says hello to everyone. She still doesn't eat as much but the vet said that's probably because of the bandage. It's not uncommon. They also said that so far the way the arm is healing it doesn't look like they'll need to take off the rest of the arm so she will still have a "nub" to help her get around, but this all depends on later visits. Going once a week to get her bandage changed until it's healed. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news she seems to be doing so well right now.
I do think taking the rest of the arm off will be the best unless it is viable tissue & not damaged.
At least she is basking right now too. How is her appetite?

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom