Arm Amputation

Status
Not open for further replies.

allykanyce

Original Poster
106148-1134386179.jpg
106148-8599716276.jpg

Thank you for that, I’ll be sure to start washing the blankets everyday. So far he had a great day yesterday, ate ALOT of super worms and some wax worms. Still won’t eat veggies but the vet said that’s okay as long as he eats anything at all because he’s a bit thin. He slept a lot as well. I have noticed something though, he’s turning black under the beard a lot more often. Pitch black. He did it a bit yesterday, i first noticed after he ate so much when he was done he turned midnight for a while.

Today he only ate two super worms ): he’s been awake most of the day with me or in this little red bed in the picture, he keeps trying to climb even though he can’t yet. Bad news, today was the last day of his pain killer and it was hard to get it in his mouth. I couldn’t get it past his gums so I put it across them and he licked it off. He has a antibiotic that I inject into his arm (don’t know the name) that ends tomorrow. More bad news, he’s been black a good majority of the day. In the picture he’s slowly turning back but it was darker than that.

He won’t drink water on his own but LOVED when I sprayed him today and oddly enough he drank water from a cup, he kept his mouth open kicking while I held the cup and poured. Now he’s getting cuddles from me and that’s been his day. Can anyone explain the darkness? Is this a concern? His stitches don’t come out until November 20 btw.

ALSO they said they took the whole arm because they couldn’t figure what infection he had and were so scared about spread.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bit of blackbearding going on so he's definitely in pain. YES IT IS A CONCERN.

I can't believe you are required by the vet to give him oral pain relief. Much less stress involved in giving pain relief by injection , and you can be sure he'll get the full dose and it wont overload his liver and kidneys too.
And it'll not have the same effect on his GIT (stomache and appetite).

I'd be on the phone immediately to the vet and complaining and demanding they supply you with sufficient pre-prepared pain relief shots to get him over the pain hump ( the next few weeks ) while the trauma is healing.

allykanyce

Original Poster
Aw poor guy that hurts my heart, I asked about them about why they were only giving it to him 3 days and they said that’s all he should need and if not I have to come back and pay for more. Guess I’ll pick up more tomorrow and see if they have it via injection. Thank you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing! He is definitely in some pain there with his black beard going on. Has it gotten
any better?
That is a lot of tissue remove & very traumatic to lose an entire limb like that. I agree, he will
likely need a bit more pain meds for a short bit anyway while he is healing.
Try to keep him as comfortable & stress free as possible, so he can heal.
Keep us posted on his.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
allykanyce":2eb63027 said:
Aw poor guy that hurts my heart, I asked about them about why they were only giving it to him 3 days and they said that’s all he should need and if not I have to come back and pay for more. Guess I’ll pick up more tomorrow and see if they have it via injection. Thank you.

I'd be demanding the pain relief in injection form. I wouldn't be accepting less than a months worth ( to store in the freezer in preprepared injections ).
When my George broke his arm, he was under pain relief for 3 weeks after surgery.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Ally, I figured they cut that much off to be sure to get all the infection. It's a great sign that he ate, he can't be in too much pain really. The beard may be because he actually ate a bit TOO much. It's very important to make sure he's in the tank with proper heat or he won't be able to digest the food. It's common for them to eat a lot one day + then not so much the next day or two but you might also have over-fed him. So just go easy with the superworms, you don't want him to puke them up. Good to hear that he drank some water, hopefully everything stays down.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is understandable for removing all of the infection but it just seems a bit excessive.
I hope that he is feeling better soon & that his spirits are up.
I agree, since he did eat, hopefully he isn't hurting too bad then. Keep him comfy & warm
overnight so he can heal up.

Keep us posted on him!
Tracie

allykanyce

Original Poster
He’s scabbing over slowly where his stitches are, lots of climbing and ate so well today! Thank you guys for checking on him. After fussing with the vet about the intramuscular pain meds they tried to charge me $50 because “the dosage was different” after talking to them about them not telling me his whole arm was missing as well as them not giving me the option, they gave me 5 days worth free but that’s all. No blackness today on the beard

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
allykanyce":1ur6joa2 said:
He’s scabbing over slowly where his stitches are, lots of climbing and ate so well today! Thank you guys for checking on him. After fussing with the vet about the intramuscular pain meds they tried to charge me $50 because “the dosage was different” after talking to them about them not telling me his whole arm was missing as well as them not giving me the option, they gave me 5 days worth free but that’s all. No blackness today on the beard

I'd be
1) naming and shaming the vet.
2) finding another vet for follow-ups , I'd not be using that money hungry butcher again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Everything sounds great so far ! Although the vet " may " have taken off a bit too much of the arm we don't know that for sure. But once again, a good appetite is a good sign ! BTW, what is your dragon's name ? Sorry if it's somewhere in the thread and I've forgotten.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree,

Sometimes it's best to be better safe than sorry. The last thing you and your dragon would want to go through is another surgery because the vet didnt cut up high enough the first time. Imo it doesnt really sound like your vet had anything but good intentions for your dragon. We dont know if he cut off lower and decided he didnt like what he saw.

Anyways, glad your dragon is doing better. That is the ONLY thing that matters in this situation. Well that and your sanity lol! This stuff is hard to go through.

-Brandon

allykanyce

Original Poster
Hey guys I noticed something new on him. He’s eating VERY well and gaining weight, but the very tip of his tail; say a inch and a half at most is very crispy. It’s like I could snap it if I squeeze too hard. It’s accompanied by light shedding. I rubbed the end of it and grayish flakes came off. Rest of the tail super thing and healthy it’s just that end piece.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great that he has such an appetite, always a positive sign ! Can you post a few pics of the tail end ? Don't mess with it too much.

allykanyce

Original Poster
106148-893638111.jpg
106148-20029736.jpg

It’s only this piece it’s been this way for a little while but when I stroked it yesterday some parts came off and by parts I mean it looked like a dry shed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmmm, that part looks like it's dying. Was it like that when you had the arm surgery ? Too bad they didn't snip that off then if it was. For now just apply neosporin daily. You can put raw honey on it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom