Argument with a local breeder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMorpho

Juvie Member
Wow! I can't believe that gal!
Agreed that spelling and grammar is important to any advertisement, and she certainly doesn't sound professional, much less "experienced".
I really hope that all your messages to her make an impact, though I imagine some people are just too stubborn.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
The need to educate people on not to buy from shadey word removed, remember PG 13 site. Added by moderator breeders will make them lose money and stop selling.
We need more high quality breeders who are knowledgeable and incredibly smart, professional and know what they're talking about.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
CountofCasualty":3605klo5 said:
The need to educate people on not to buy from shadey/****ty breeders will make them lose money and stop selling.
We need more high quality breeders who are knowledgeable and incredibly smart, professional and know what they're talking about.

Sadly the reptile world is a very uncertain and unregulated market. Can't tell you how many reptiles i have purchased that have been sick, not to mention all the sick ones I have taken in as rescues. I just don't understand how you can own these beautiful creatures and not take care of them!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
There are MANY great breeders out there, I know about 10, that would never feed the wrong foods or bugs or cause any distress to any dragons they're raising. Whoever this breeder is, she won't last long in the business, sounds as if she's brand new as well. People will see that her babies are too small for their age and are probably getting sick as well. It's too bad that a breeder is so uninformed on what is the best for babies, having seen good breeders, I sure agree with everything on this thread. I have a friend, who's a small time breeder, she's the mom of Zak 'n Wheezie (the almost 7 yr old 2 headed beardie) and when she breeds, her babies are almost 5" long when they're born. She feeds them 3-5x a day and her babies are huge once they're adults. Now that is good husbandry! So I wish every breeder would take the time to care for their dragons as Barbara does. I know a lot of people who have her babies, now adults, and they're all doing VERY well. Tom Constance is another breeder who cares really well for his beardies, and he works full-time on top of that. Cheryl & Jessica in Florida are not only great breeders, but Cheryl is also a good "vet" as far as knowing how to figure out what's wrong with a beardie, she has a wonderful store as well. If you ever want to see her babies, check out her website at www.beardeddragons.co. Her store is at www.beardeddragon.co.

So there are a lot of good breeders out there, I sure appreciate you trying to educate this woman who isn't doing her babies any favours, and I hope some of it gets through. I applaud you all for trying your best to get through to her.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Lenewen":nit5bymc said:
CountofCasualty":nit5bymc said:
The need to educate people on not to buy from shadey/****ty breeders will make them lose money and stop selling.

Sadly the reptile world is a very uncertain and unregulated market. Can't tell you how many reptiles i have purchased that have been sick, not to mention all the sick ones I have taken in as rescues. I just don't understand how you can own these beautiful creatures and not take care of them!

The animal breeder world is a very unregulated market. Reptile or not. Look at the puppy mills and the terrible conditions that those dogs live in. It's terrible any way, but through education people learn to stop buying puppies from unknown breeders, do research or adopt. Even then people end up buying animals that aren't right for them and end up having to give them to a shelter or give them away to another family.

But education is key, seriously. Not just with breeders but potential buyers as well. We can educate all the breeders we want but terrible people looking for money will still exist and there is nothing we can do about that but educating the people buying the animals. Having them know what to look for, what healthy should look like, what are good conditions vs bad, what red flags to look for, what is a good diet vs not.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
CountofCasualty":ryxvb753 said:
Lenewen":ryxvb753 said:
CountofCasualty":ryxvb753 said:

The animal breeder world is a very unregulated market. Reptile or not. Look at the puppy mills and the terrible conditions that those dogs live in. It's terrible any way, but through education people learn to stop buying puppies from unknown breeders, do research or adopt. Even then people end up buying animals that aren't right for them and end up having to give them to a shelter or give them away to another family.

But education is key, seriously. Not just with breeders but potential buyers as well. We can educate all the breeders we want but terrible people looking for money will still exist and there is nothing we can do about that but educating the people buying the animals. Having them know what to look for, what healthy should look like, what are good conditions vs bad, what red flags to look for, what is a good diet vs not.

Well said. I'm no fan of regulations, believe me, but I still feel pet stores should have to check their animals for health problems before selling them in a retail setting. Petsmart has NO excuse.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Lenewen":1l5ibj0o said:
CountofCasualty":1l5ibj0o said:
Lenewen":1l5ibj0o said:
CountofCasualty":1l5ibj0o said:

Well said. I'm no fan of regulations, believe me, but I still feel pet stores should have to check their animals for health problems before selling them in a retail setting. Petsmart has NO excuse.

Oh exactly! The only reason I bought my bearded dragon from a local pet store is because he does an in store breeding, I knew the state of the parents and could meet them/hold them. His entire reputation is on the line for the reptiles and he knows that-he has also been doing it for 30 years and is incredibly trusted by many people.

Now there were still some things wrong(feeding romaine lettuce by the looks of it to the babies, but it could have been another dark green leafy plant since I couldn't actually touch it/smell it, and he only sells the Exo-Terra uvb bulbs) and I didn't notice until after the fact, but that is why I won't be going back. I know BETTER now and know exactly what to look for.

That said, all of the babies I looked at looked incredibly healthy, as with all of his other reptiles. He didn't have a single one on sand, all were on paper towel. He did many things right-but I did notice a few wrong things. But all considered he made sure I had a UVB bulb and basking light, asked if I was going to have him on sand and when I said no he smiled and said good, he asked me what type of veggies I was planning on feeding, and let me know they only had experience with greens and no squash so to feed the squash sparingly until they got used to it. Which is much better then most pet stores and that is why I was willing to buy from him.

Entity

Hatchling Member
I bought my bearded dragon baby from Petsmart but that's because a lot of other stores don't sell them in my area. The pet store out here doesn't have them either and I don't know any other breeders. I'd probably get one off the internet if I had the money, sadly of which I don't. However Nigel is incredibly healthy, the vet checked up on him and he's surprised how healthy Nigel is because he was from a commercial pet store(Petsmart).

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
I purchased Zero from PetSmart and he came with Coccidia, Roundworm, and what appears to be a slight eye infection, all of which I've begun the war against. Risks you have to take I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom