Are these maggots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglwngss

Hatchling Member
I found these in the sponge in the water bowl of the discoid roaches. I started pouring water in and out came these little wormy things. ew..

Anyway, it's been a very very long time since I've seen a maggot. I hope they are only maggots. I do remember seeing a couple of flies in the house, otherwise, if they are just some kind of worms, I'll have to get rid of the discoids. I haven't fed any to my lizards yet. I was still breeding/raising more..

Anyway, I tried to get as close as I could and still have them in focus. There is a small thing that is NOT circled, that, I do know, was a seed..

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0016-1.jpg

PICT0017-1.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, yup those look like maggots. It also looks like mold on the sponge.
I would ditch the sponge method, and switch to water crystals. They will probably cost more overall, but they are much cleaner. I only keep crickets, I don't breed any feeders, yet.. but I change my water crystals out every other day so that they won't go bad. The maggots probably are not threatening to your buggies, but that mold is.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
i just use water crystals, they work out quite well for roaches. . . i also made a thing out of acrylic that holds a water bottle upside down, so as the water evaporates it refills it for me. This enables me to bother my roaches less while still keeping them watered.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
i basically used a hole saw and cut a hole in the middle of one of the pieces. i then used 2 other smaller pieces as legs and hot glued it all together. so it basically looks something like

The gap in the middle is where the hole is, its basically a lil table with a hole in the middle. FIll with water and flip upside down in a bowl full of water crystals. Think of it like those dog water's that are sold in pet stores. For the bottle i just used a Gatorade bottle
____| |_____
| |

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
I was thinking about it, i even went to go buy one. . . but those bowls all have some sort of mold guard on them so i dont know if its safe for the roaches. . it also has a big bottle for the top which i think could turn into mold/mildew since its in a high temp environment all the time.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
thats basically the same idea that i used, just alot more simple. . . damn i feel like i did so much extra work now. . .haha

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
I asume so as well. She doesn't state in the thread exactly how it is made, but she does state that even the nymphs can easily get fresh water. She also states that they produce thousands and cleanliness is her number one thing so obviously mold is not an issue.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
well it looks like she just got a container, punched some holes in it, flipped it up side down on a grate of some nature. . . and voila she has a waterer. . . you have to raise the lid of the container off of the container floor inorder for water to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom