Are Meal worms possibly bad for beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard from somewhere that mealworms are not good for berdies because they have to much of a crunch value is that true? Because right now my beardie is to small for super worms

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Your are correct. Mealworms are NOT recommended for beardies. Their hard shells are an impaction risk, and they offer little of the nutrition that beardies require.

Might I recommend Phoenix Worms? They are filled will calcium (no need to dust, except for vites). They are small, soft, and if need, can be used as a staple if your beardie prefers them (a good protein to fat ratio). Our beardie LOVES hers. She still eats crickets, but anymore, the PWs have become the staple of choice. They are easy to keep (no feeding, and last a long time). They are small. Our beardie is 6-7 inches and eats the mediums, easily. We order at MulberryFarms.

Hope this helps!

The best,
Em

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Yup this is indeed correct.
Its a nightmare that stores sell the mealies and insist they are fine. They really are much more of a risk than a benefit.

Pheonix worms, butter worms and silkworms are all great options to feed your dragons.
My juvie has a diet of supers and butters, my baby is only on butterworms (fussy devil).

Holly

LuvMyHerps

Hatchling Member
Now I have a question.....Even the little tiny mealies are not good? My juvie is 6 1/2 months, and my reptile vet said I could start offering these tiny ones a few times a week. Would another worm be bettter for him?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Yeah even teeny meal worms arent great. They are 85% shell and have very little protein on top of the impaction issue, so its pretty pointless on top of not being all that sensible.
You can buy small butters/pheonix/silk worms easily online.
My two month old is on butterworms, and my 7 month old boy eats the big butters that are left over.

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom