Are bearded dragon less hardy than other reptiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Out of curiosity what was the treatment? I'm sorry that things ended this way. My thoughts are with you. This kind of decision is never easy.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DaisyDragon123":6upf9kbn said:
Out of curiosity what was the treatment? I'm sorry that things ended this way. My thoughts are with you. This kind of decision is never easy.

The treatment involved antibiotics, special food, surgery and blood tests each time!

Thanks, I just thought it would be better to put him down instead of making him live though all that, especially since it was so expensive, yet had a small chance of working :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry to hear that your little guy was so sick + had to be put down. My heart goes out to you, it's obvious that you're a very caring pet owner + you did your best.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2ubb1260 said:
I'm so sorry to hear that your little guy was so sick + had to be put down. My heart goes out to you, it's obvious that you're a very caring pet owner + you did your best.

I tried, but it just looks like bearded dragons are not as hardy as they used to be :(

I loved having reptiles though, but I don't know where to begin looking for another one!

I got recommended a neat pet shop, but when I looked it up, it has many bad reviews!

It's called Chicago reptile house, has anyone heard of it before?

It really looks to me like all pet shops are going downhill! And bearded dragon breeding too!

I would like a new pet reptile, but don't know where to look :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Have you heard of this monthly show https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiuzJDJw4_NAhWDHB4KHfjkBG0QFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fallanimalexpo.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNGKpSF33gfHoKhBdLvssVcHfQieNQ&sig2=p98K07HK9C7-ZaF48vWV2g?

There are quite a few dragon and other reptile breeders/vendors.

Or you could Google breeders. Several very reputable ones are A-1 reptiles, Rainbow b.d's , Carolina Classic Dragons, Dachiu b.d's . Shipping is very safe, less than 24 hours you have your beardie.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
You will need to clean your tank very well and maybe replace what is financially possible before getting another.

It may be best to get an older dragon (if you decide to get another one). Rainbow Bearded Dragons has some young-ish dragons with nice size currently on their website.

Or, you could go to a reptile expo and talk to various breeders in person to get a feel for the reptile that will be best suited for you.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2h6lctb7 said:
Have you heard of this monthly show https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiuzJDJw4_NAhWDHB4KHfjkBG0QFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fallanimalexpo.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNGKpSF33gfHoKhBdLvssVcHfQieNQ&sig2=p98K07HK9C7-ZaF48vWV2g?

There are quite a few dragon and other reptile breeders/vendors.

Or you could Google breeders. Several very reputable ones are A-1 reptiles, Rainbow b.d's , Carolina Classic Dragons, Dachiu b.d's . Shipping is very safe, less than 24 hours you have your beardie.

Thanks for the suggestions!

DaisyDragon123":2h6lctb7 said:
You will need to clean your tank very well and maybe replace what is financially possible before getting another.

It may be best to get an older dragon (if you decide to get another one). Rainbow Bearded Dragons has some young-ish dragons with nice size currently on their website.

Or, you could go to a reptile expo and talk to various breeders in person to get a feel for the reptile that will be best suited for you.

I'll clean it out when I feel better, I'm thinking of using the small tank that I have! I think I'll clean them both and get new stuff for the small one!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
reptilemaster":81kvhovf said:
DaisyDragon123":81kvhovf said:

The treatment involved antibiotics, special food, surgery and blood tests each time!

Thanks, I just thought it would be better to put him down instead of making him live though all that, especially since it was so expensive, yet had a small chance of working :(

Putting your beardie down must have been a very difficult decision to take .

Antibiotics to treat a viral infection ? waste of time and money , unless it was to fight a secondary bacterial infection.

Get back on that horse , don't let one bad experience put you off.

If you get another reptile (lizard) to house in his enclosure. Sterilise it THOROUGHLY and COMPLETELY (everything in it including hide, log) with F10SC (about 100:1 dilution) this will destroy any viral contamination lingering in the enclosure and on surfaces.

If you decide to try another lizard rather than a central bearded dragon , bluetongue skinks are wonderful and EXTREMELY friendly and affectionate , another option is a group of Rankins Dragons (2f + 1m is a good set). Mine simply love snuggles and being handled , and are both fabulous with my 5 yr old grandson (who adores them).

I'd suggest a few other options if you were based in Australia but I suspect they are not available o/seas

Same size as central bearded dragons or larger :
.... a pair of Knobtail Skinks,
.... a Eastern Water Dragon
.... a pair of Cunningham Skinks
Medium size lizards
.... a group of Rankins Dragons
.... a pinktongued skink
.... a group of Netted Dragons
.... a group of Angleheaded Dragons
.... a group of Jacky Dragons
.... a colony of Eastern Water Skinks
.... a colony of Sandswimmer Skinks

Ed707

Hatchling Member
This is some really sad reading as bearded dragons are great lizards and do have great temperaments if you have kids or younger siblings. I agree iguanas can be very aggressive especially during the breeding season, I've heard monitors can be as well but know less about the species. It's obvious that over breeding and breeding for the wrong type of genetics (such as color or morph) has obviously played a role in the decline of the species genetically. I agree too that advertising them as easy to care for also plays a role in seeing so many sick and unhealthy lizards. The amount of bad and poor information out there is extremely extensive and can be witnessed on almost every bearded dragon Facebook group there is in the U.S... Seeing so many people with the lack of knowledge or lack of money to properly care for was overwhelming and as much as I tried to give good advice alot of people just refuse to change there way of thinking. Lighting I think is one of the key reasons so many are sick and unhealthy, being advertised as easy to care for I've often seen people with just a basking bulb for there pets or taking petco employee advice and using a coil or compact bulb. I have seen stories where people have lost there dragons for several months, during those months it rained or snowed ext, and still found them alive and relatively healthy. I think they are still a hardy reptile as far as surviving especially givin the right circumstances such as natural sun but it is clear they are definately prone to alot more diseases then other reptiles as is evident repeatedly on the health section just on this website alone.

dezismom

Juvie Member
I am so sorry about this...I know it was a tough decision. :(:( We had to put our eleven year old terrier down Thursday due to cancer, and my heart is so completely broken, I do not think I will get another one...so I am very empathetic to your pain. I pray you will find healing and peace. At least the little one is no longer suffering, which is such a gift that you gave him!. When you are ready to try another pet, I hope you find a healthy, well cared for one that brings you joy and not so much stress!!

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
dezismom":c7cc0doj said:
I am so sorry about this...I know it was a tough decision. :(:( We had to put our eleven year old terrier down Thursday due to cancer, and my heart is so completely broken, I do not think I will get another one...so I am very empathetic to your pain. I pray you will find healing and peace. At least the little one is no longer suffering, which is such a gift that you gave him!. When you are ready to try another pet, I hope you find a healthy, well cared for one that brings you joy and not so much stress!!

That sounds very sad about your dog!

At least the little guy got to be loved in his short life!

I'll be looking for a new reptile, I love reptiles their so cool, if I can I wil always have one!

dezismom

Juvie Member
It was sad to have to make that tough decision for our pup, who was with us over eleven years. But,mwe know when we take these pets into our lives that we will most likely outlive them, and it will break our hearts. It is part of the deal.

I also think reptiles are fabulous! More affectionate and intellegent than I could have imagined, before DeziLu. Would not want to be without one, now. I have read many people here on this site who speak highly of skinks; am very curious about them....people say they are affectionate as Beardies and a bit less high maintenence? Very interesting...

dezismom

Juvie Member
I have met some very sweet Ball Pythons...they seem to be a gentle snake, by nature, and their owners said that Balls Pythons made some of the best pets of all the constrictors. My nephew has had a "pac man" frog for years, which is huge! So big, it eats adult mice--which is not really my cup of tea, but all critters must eat. He isn't very affectionate, however--mostly he just sits there like a table decoration :) but he is kind of cute? and quite a conversation piece! Nephew has designed a lovely terrarium around that fat old frog, and is very fond of him. The frog is basically a giant mouth with eyeballs above it! it does not enjoy handling, whereas Ball Pythons do seem to enjoy handling by just their owners. The ones I met were shy around strangers. My nephew also has had an albino boa for several years. He says she can be nippy, if she gets "in a mood". Don't know if that is just her personality, or if that is a common trait in Boas? Some of the members of this forum have multiple reptiles, so maybe they can add to the discussion...

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
^^^

I think albino reptiles are more skittish for some reason!

Also my friends snake was relaxed when he was holding it but got afraid when I held it! It calmed down as I rubbed it though.

I like frogs, their so cute!

pac man frogs are not friendly but dumpy tree frags are, you should look them up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom