Aragon Loves His New T-Rex Heat Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took everyone's advice and invested in the T-Rex Active Heat Dome Light, the larger dome lamp and the lamp stand, and also the Repti-Cal w/o Vit. D from Pet Mountain. Set his new light up today and couldn't believe it! The minute that light came on he ran right up his driftwood perch under the lamp, tilted that little head at me and gave me that "what took you so long, Mom" look! I cannot believe the difference it made. He truly loves that light. It also really brought out the green tint that mixes with his bright orange. He's such a beautiful baby (of course, I'm quite partial)!!

Huge thanks to everyone who suggested the proper lighting and directed me to Pet Mountain. Well worth the expense!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[Moved here from General Discussion forum]

That's great that he loves his T-Rex, sounds like you certainly did the right thing. Don't you just love the "head tilt?" :love5: He was giving you the look of approval. :p Did you get the 100 watt bulb? If so, make sure it is a minimum of 12" from him on his basking spot.

We'd love to see pics of him enjoying his new bulb. :wink:

Beardie4me

Original Poster
So it needs to be 12" from his basking spot? I had it up higher, but his temp gage didn't get above 86, so I moved it down. I thought he his temp gage needed to be between 95 and 110 in his basking spot? Now I'm confused. :?

(Trying to type with a dog in my lap - severe t-storms here in KC - of the tornado variety - and my female mini doxie is glued to momma's lap).

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It should be a minimum of 12" from him while he is in his basking spot due to the strong ultra violet rays that they put out. I wanted to make sure that you didn't have it any closer than that. Since his is a baby, he will probably like the temps from about 105 to 110. What distance is the bulb now? Are you using either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end? It is a 100 watt rather than a 160 watt, right?

Sorry to hear about your storms and possible tornado, that's very scary. Hope it doesn't get bad for you.

Beardie4me

Original Poster
It is the 100 watt, and I use a digital therm with the wire and probe. And no, the light itself is not a minimum of 12" from where he actually basks. Like I said, when I put it higher, his temps fell and wouldn't get higher than 86. What should I do, please???

reptilianboy831

Hatchling Member
What I do is I bought a cheap metal dome and amde a crude wood stand sorta thing and put a 60 watt incandescent bulb in there and it stays about 106-108 at the basking site, and 80ish in the cool end. I use a 40 gallon breeder for my right now.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What size tank are you using? What is the distance now from the bulb? The T-Rex's get hotter after a few days, so please keep that in mind as I had to move the bulb further away the 3rd day of using it. I have a 100 watt in a 55 gallon tank at a distance of 15" and get a basking temp of 105, in the winter, I have to use a 40 watt household bulb on the cool side to get a cool side temp of 80. Let me know what size tank it is and what the distance is now as well as the cool side temp and we can help you get it perfect, I promise. If your tank isn't real large, you shouldn't need another basking bulb over the basking area because those bulbs throw out a lot of heat, but like I said in the next day or two, it could throw out more heat.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To Beardie4me,
diamc":9771f said:
What size tank are you using? What is the distance now from the bulb? The T-Rex's get hotter after a few days, so please keep that in mind as I had to move the bulb further away the 3rd day of using it. I have a 100 watt in a 55 gallon tank at a distance of 15" and get a basking temp of 105, in the winter, I have to use a 40 watt household bulb on the cool side to get a cool side temp of 80. Let me know what size tank it is and what the distance is now as well as the cool side temp and we can help you get it perfect, I promise. If your tank isn't real large, you shouldn't need another basking bulb over the basking area because those bulbs throw out a lot of heat, but like I said in the next day or two, it could throw out more heat.

Beardie4me

Original Poster
Right now, I have him in a 29 gallon tank. I took out the tape measure and I know have the light at 12" from his highest basking spot, and 13-14" from his normal basking branch spot. Fortunately, I don't have an issue keeping his cool side around 76-80, but still can't get the basking side past 92 since I raised the lamp. If they get hotter by the third day, hopefully the temp will go up by tomorrow. I did think about adding another regular 15 watt tube light, but don't want to overheat him either. As it has already gotten pretty warm here in the midwest, I do have the air conditioner on, but have the vents almost closed in my reptile room.

Reptilianboy, no bad, you're fine. I appreciate any help I can get!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It seems like the temps should be higher than what you're getting in a 29 gallon tank at 12". Did you lay the probe end so that it was resting on (actually touching) the basking log for about 45 min and until the temp stopped rising?

Reptilianboy, I didn't mean to mislead you. I wanted to help get Beardie4me all straightened out first, then we can discuss anything you need help with.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie4me":32517 said:
I took everyone's advice and invested in the T-Rex Active Heat Dome Light, the larger dome lamp and the lamp stand, and also the Repti-Cal w/o Vit. D from Pet Mountain. Set his new light up today and couldn't believe it! The minute that light came on he ran right up his driftwood perch under the lamp, tilted that little head at me and gave me that "what took you so long, Mom" look! I cannot believe the difference it made. He truly loves that light. It also really brought out the green tint that mixes with his bright orange. He's such a beautiful baby (of course, I'm quite partial)!!

Huge thanks to everyone who suggested the proper lighting and directed me to Pet Mountain. Well worth the expense!

This is wonderful to see! Our beardie had a very similar reaction to her T-Rex. She was never much for basking before, and within seconds of placing her in her new enclosure (two months ago now), she ran up the log and sat there for the remainder of the day (I believe, "willing" herself to grow!). :mrgreen: :wink:

diamc":32517 said:

Indeed as Diane says here, ours ran hotter and hotter in those first few days. The first day, we had perfect temps at 12 inches, but by the fourth day (when things finally leveled out), it was placed at 14-15 inches, where it has remained and continues to give us perfect 105-110 temps. We also use a 45w household flood on the cool end to keep thing right at 80 (in the cooler months).

Also, (forgive if this has already been asked or already known) are you leaving the temp probe in place for *45 minutes* when gauging?

The best,
Em

Beardie4me

Original Poster
Thank you all so much, especially you Diane. I took the probe and put it right on his highest basking spot (his repti-hammock) for 45 minutes, and then put it on his basking log for 45 minutes. You were right on with the info. I feel like an ***** because it never dawned on me that the temps would be that much different by moving the probe a few inches. After raising and lowering the lamp a few times I got it set at 14" from his repti-hammock with a temp of 108, and on his basking log at a temp of 100. His cool side is staying at an even 82. It has made such a difference in his color and his little attitude! It's amazing how fast you fall head over hills for these amazing dragons. I just love it when I go in and talk to him and he gives me that sweet little head tilt like he knows what I'm saying!!

Again, thanks for helping me get his light set!

Kim

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Kim, sounds like you got it all straightened out, that's great. :p The temps sound perfect. Make sure to check them again in a day or 2 to make sure they haven't changed since the burning in of the bulb. You're right, moving the probe a very small distance can make a BIG difference.

That's great that Aragon is loving it and has brightened his color which MVB's really help with. Doesn't that "head tilt" you make your heart melt? :love5: I'm sure he knows you're fussing over him and they sure love that.

We are always happy to help in any way we can. :wink: How about sharing some pics of him, that makes it all worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom