Aquarium substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckmellow

Hello! So I'm thinking about converting a old aquarium into a tank for a lizard of some sort. I really want to have some kinda connection or "friendship" with the lizard so a bearded dragon seems ideal (let me know if you have other suggestions, keep In mind I'm a beginner and only have extensive experience with fish). But my question is, can I use the sand in my tank currently for the dragon. I'm guessing no. But want to make sure since it would save me some money. It's Rocky sand and isn't very fine, but not gravel. I don't know the brand off the top of my head so if you know of ingredients or specific brands of aquatic sand that would harm the dragon let me know.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
No sand is recommended for bearded dragons. However, recommended substrate is still cheap. You can use paper towels, tile, and my favorite are the vinyl shelf liners that are soft on the feet and easy to clean and comes in variety of colors/design. I suggest you do a lot of research here on proper lighting and setup before you get one though. Using an old tank is fine but it is better if they are in a minimum 4x2x2 enclosure.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
You can get a roll of Duck Brand Smooth Top shelf liner from Walmart for about $6. It makes a great substrate. Not too slick. Easy to clean. And easy to cut to whatever shape and size you need.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Bra...Shelf-Liner-20-inches-x-5-feet-Taupe/37883819

bd36693a-e8e1-423b-a834-5644820ea808_1.cb68f22c04cb5efb02d3fd8116202fc0.jpeg

I's advise against any with a print or pattern, because I have noticed the printed ones have a "chemical" smell to them that might be toxic to a beardie. And I specifically recommend Duck Brand, because I have been successfully using it in my vivs for years.

Here are some pics of what the taupe looks like in my vivs:

41729-701370058.jpg

41729-4510766491.jpg

41729-2468440864.jpg

41729-8319862173.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom