Anyone know this monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I know this probably belongs in the other reptile forums but those don't seem to get a lot of traffic.

Many years ago, I remember reading about a monitor in reptile magazine and for the life of me I can't remember the name. It was a large one, like 6ft in length. One of the distinctive features I remember was when they get hungry they salivate and there's something in its mouth that makes it turn red and it looks like they have blood dripping from their mouth.

That's all I remember about them. I can clearly see the picture in my mind. It was massive. It had climbed up on a old fence post, it's tail was on the ground, and it's head an neck well above the post and it showed the red tinge to the saliva around it's mouth. Every time I hear about monitors that picture pops in my head. It drives me crazy that I can't remember the name.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
The picture I remember looks like the black throat monitor. It wasn't just length that made it massive looking, it was big all around. The other monitors look rather skinny in comparison. Like this

Black_Throat_jumbo_2.JPG

I couldn't find anything on red saliva with any other monitors but komodos either. But I was thinking maybe it's one of those details not mentioned much or something. I could be wrong I suppose, it has been over 10 years. Maybe they mentioned the komodo in the article and I got mixed up.

I was just curious really. I don't plan on actually getting one. Monitors are fascinating to me but not very realistic for us to get one.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
my dad had a savannah monitor when i was a baby. i have always attributed that to my love of reptiles. sorry, that didn't really help you at all, but i just felt like mentioning it ;-)

ziggy23":153rkl0f said:
wow! that's huge!

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
no problem, like I said just curious. I showed that picture to my husband he wants one. He said it's begging for a hawaiin shirt. lol

I believe my love of reptiles came from a box turtle I had as a kid. It wasn't my technically my first pet, but it was the first that was all mine and not a family pet. She was really small, small enough I could put her in my shirt pocket. I took her everywhere with me, even school. But I think I didn't set her hibernation box up right or something and she died. I was so heartbroken. She was like my best friend. I cried for a long time over her, probably still could if I thought about her enough.

RHETORIC

Wow thats a massive lizard. The only one I can think of would have been a black throat monitor. I think that lizard in the picture was said to be the largest (captive) black throat in the world... I saw a black throat at a reptile place close to my house, this one was super sweet but I'm not sure I'd want to keep something that powerful or massive as a pet lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom