Anyone here just order Dubia without making a colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirakai

If my mom ever found a dubia colony in our place she would have a serious panic attack. The loudest I've ever heard her scream was when there was a flying roach loose. She has a phobia with them, so I think a colony is out of the question for me right now. But do any of you guys order the small rolie polie ones say on a monthly basis? Also how long can a beardy eat those small ones (age wise)? Basically if I can order and keep dubia at reasonable prices without dealing with the big male flyers, that be good for me.

Glen

The reptile store near me sells dubias (1/2'') for 7 dollars a dozen. Thats waaaaaay too steep to be buying them instead of breeding them.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Mirakai":3e9lgv89 said:
If my mom ever found a dubia colony in our place she would have a serious panic attack. The loudest I've ever heard her scream was when there was a flying roach loose. She has a phobia with them, so I think a colony is out of the question for me right now. But do any of you guys order the small rolie polie ones say on a monthly basis? Also how long can a beardy eat those small ones (age wise)? Basically if I can order and keep dubia at reasonable prices without dealing with the big male flyers, that be good for me.
It would be financially insane to continuously order them. They are a very expensive feeder that is why most setup a colony. High up front cost but saves bookoos down the line.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
If your ordering a smalls or medium sized roaches the price isnt to bad. People tend to compare the price of crickets to roaches and you just simply cant do that. You might be paying $.02 or $.03 per cricket, crickets grow really fast so after 2-3 weeks it is to large to be feeding a smaller dragon. Also you will have a deadcount of 20-30%. Crickets are easily stressed and die. With roaches you will be paying $.08-$.12 each (depending on which breeder you go with) They grow slower so you can order in larger quantity and not have to worry about them out growing your beardie, also they do not die off like crickets, If you notice some dead, something is wrong with your setup. I have a lot of customers that only order smalls or mediums ever 2-3 weeks. They typically order 200-300 at a time.

Hope this helps.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Glen":3c063rlm said:
The reptile store near me sells dubias (1/2'') for 7 dollars a dozen. Thats waaaaaay too steep to be buying them instead of breeding them.

Which pet store?

Glen

clear":1p0i3vij said:
Glen":1p0i3vij said:

Which pet store?

It's called Suburban Reptile, in the chicagoland area. I'm pretty sure its privately owned.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Mirakai":2hmh0hb0 said:
without dealing with the big male flyers

They have wings, but don't fly. They can occasionally "flutter" but they're not really gonna go very far like that... probably a foot or two max. If there's a lid then no need to worry.

Mirakai

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys. I will probably buy 200-300 at a time to start, then as my mom starts getting used to seeing my dragon eat them I may eventually start a colony. Where's a cheap place to order the small ones for a 2 month old dragon around 200-300 each? I'm in Los Angeles.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
My vote is always for jason at theroachguy.com
Great prices, great customer service, and very healthy feeders.

EShell

Hatchling Member
Mirakai":1saa1i6d said:
Thanks for the info guys. I will probably buy 200-300 at a time to start, then as my mom starts getting used to seeing my dragon eat them I may eventually start a colony....
Maybe a tub to store them safely in is a good idea, and if they have a few babies while they're waiting around to be eaten, it can't be helped....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom