Anybody Knows What Roach Chows Are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Right now I'm using low fat crushed dog food and variety of greens for my dubia roach, but I like to know what the roach chows really are. In the picture the roaches seem to like them and like to give them some to add variety. My dubia roaches also goes crazy for greens and veggies... They love them, so I give them everyday.

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
Most of the stuff you find retail is essentially what your feeding now...ground up animal feeds. The differance is usually what the feed was originally intended for, with some retailers using fish food and others using cat or dog foods. There is a a lot of conjecture on the matter of proper roach feeds, but for the small scale breeder dog and cat kibble seems to work fine. I would occasionally add some fruit and veg (like your currently doing), but the brunt of the diet can be store bought.

Try and buy pesticide free foods if possible (usually organic dog and cat foods). It should be obvious why pesticides would not be good for your roach colony :p

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
I feed my roach colony the leftover beardie greens and veggies. They love them. That is their main staple, along with healthy bread that is week-old in the house and hasn't been eaten, yet, etc. Roaches like starches a lot. They breed faster the more you feed them.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
A high protien blend of cereals(sugarfree of course), grains, dry cat an;or dog food, flaked fish food, I also like to mix in crushed unsalted peanuts for added protein. Baby food dry cereals can be used in your chow too. You can blend these things all together and store them in a large container an use as needed.

I also feed them the left over beardie veggies helps with hydration.
An I add beardie suppliments to my water crystals when I make them.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Sekhautet":0d6c6 said:
I feed my roach colony the leftover beardie greens and veggies. They love them. That is their main staple, along with healthy bread that is week-old in the house and hasn't been eaten, yet, etc. Roaches like starches a lot. They breed faster the more you feed them.
Really!? So I could potentially speed up (re)production if I come up with a blend that my Dubia really love? hmm... :study:

patrickb

Juvie Member
Yes, like many animals, reproduction rate is very dependant on food availability. Reproduction is very taxing on females in particular in most species, so the more nutrients they get, the faster they will produce hatchlings with higher numbers of hatchlings per a brood. Roaches could survive on paper alone probably, and even reproduce, but it wouldn't be very fast. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom