Any road trip with beardie tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzynom

I'm looking for any tips that someone may have about taking their beardies on road trips. These past few days I've been out of town and I've had a friend take care of my beardie for me but unfortunately a family emergency has popped up and I must leave for a few more days and my friend won't be able to take care of him for me. It is about a 7 hour drive to Indianna, any tips to keep my beardie safe and comfortable in the car for that long?

MsCarter

Juvie Member
The longest ive had my Beardie in the car was a little over two hours. I use a small pet carrier with a blanket inside to keep her comfy. With a 7 hours trip if you can find some sort of a heat source (like a heating pad that does not get too hot to prevent over heating) to go under the blanket with him on top of the blanket this could work.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Heat source isn't really needed in this weather. I use a heat pack if i leave the car for a bit in winter to get a meal etc but otherwise normal car temps are fine. I use a soccer bag but any duffel bag or even a large shoebox will work. I put some scrap towels and a fleece blanket on the bottom. I also have a hip leash to ensure he doesn't go under foot during a drive. If I go overnight I bring a heat lamp (mercury vapor bulb) in a clamp fixture and a basic hide/bask piece and put that in a fold up play pen which works well for temporary housing. A large plastic bin would work too. I'm writing this with my dragon next to me 9hrs from home and we just completed a 2600 mile week long trip last month. They're pretty good travelers from my experience.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Good to hear this from someone with more experience traveling. I have to travel a lot (about two hours every week) and since I'm away for a day or two I usually bring my Beardie with me. She travels great but I always worry about heat and all of that good stuff while on the road. Hearing someone else who travels even further than me say that makes me feel a lot better.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We just got back home after another 9 hrs return in the car. He got wiggly after a couple of hours so we stopped so he could roam around a rest area for a bit but some storms came in and we continued on. He then climbed into the back seat and slept for the rest of the ride.

Enzynom

Original Poster
I took Betelgeuse on that 7 hour ride to Indiana. I brought an appropriate sized critter carrier plus all his lights. He didn't mind the new environment. He was pretty unhappy in the car but he lightened up when I held him. I'd call it a successful road trip.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear it worked out =). They tend to mellow out a bit as they get older and get a few more trips under their belts.

Enzynom

Original Poster
He handled it much better than expected. As long as I was holding him during the drive, he was pretty chill. At the hotel, I set up his temporary home and rigged his lights up and he was okay with it. It's nice to know that he is alright with these trips :)

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Glad to hear it went well. He will get more use to the vehicle the more you take him places,they make great little travel buddies :)

Xstokerx

I drove halfway across canada with my first dragon she would sleep in a blanket wile we drove then at night in the hotel rooms i would hang her lights off the tv stands and make a make shift pen out of suitcases it was kinda hard on her as it was fall but she survived fine and lived to be 11 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom