Any people happy they made the switch to roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
[/quote]augsburg1530
You trip me out before you know it your going to move the dragons over and get yourself some roach habitats. How many species do you have now just the one??
Anyway take care I’m having a blast on vacation.[/quote]

Roachguy,
Glad your enjoying vacation. I go on mine this Monday, camping with the family :blob5:

I've got Dubia's and Lobsters and am thinking about getting some Hissers now too, just because they are so big and cool :D

Eric

agro

augsburg1530
You trip me out before you know it your going to move the dragons over and get yourself some roach habitats. How many species do you have now just the one??
Anyway take care I’m having a blast on vacation.[/quote]

Roachguy,
Glad your enjoying vacation. I go on mine this Monday, camping with the family :blob5:

I've got Dubia's and Lobsters and am thinking about getting some Hissers now too, just because they are so big and cool :D

Eric[/quote]

Hissers are cool! Another cool roach is the fusca! Mine just had babies :blob8:

dociledragons

Juvie Member
augsburg1530":fc2e3 said:
agro":fc2e3 said:
I just scored my 5th type of roach :shock: I was at a reptile show and saw a girl holding a couple plastic containers. I approched her and she had fusca roaches so made a deal for 5 bucks for 20 adults. I got her number so i might get some more from her these are big roaches! Now i have fusca,dubia,turks,hissers and discoids! :blob8:

You are the roach king, I bow before your roachy might! That is so cool, I love roaches and want to follow in your foot steps :D

Send a picture of your fusca if you can.

Eric

I think i found some pic of them here. . . http://www.angelfire.com/planet/roach/roach/blaberusfusca/

It looks like they grow almost 3".. thats crazy

gamra

I just got in an order of 1k Turks and 40 Dubai. The Dubai are VERY cool and live up to all the hype. Slow, can't climb, neat looking, and not spastic. The turks however I almost dumped a gallon of bleach on! I put them in one of the colored rubbermaid plastic bins and a few started climbing up the side and when they got the the vasoline (equate brand if that matters) they kept on marching on! I hastily swatted the 4 culprits down and no further escape attempts so far. I was told to get the clear rubbermaids as they are slicker or a trash can...
I live in NW arkansas just fyi for climate

Well i went to walmart and got a sterilite clear/see through container and dumped a few testers out, and sure enough they just skitter on the edges and usually fall over on their backs until a buddy comes along to help them up. Phew!

Here's the pictures of my new little feeders. Now that I know the turks can get out they are a bit interesting. Dubai are the best for sure though.

Anyone have basic input to put in on their care now that I got the Turks settled in? I'm just storing them in the garage it's 80-95 every day.

Turksinabottle.jpg

Turksfoodandwater.jpg

Turkishpyramid.jpg

QuietDubai.jpg

Dubaibin.jpg

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
gamra":1b969 said:
Anyone have basic input to put in on their care now that I got the Turks settled in? I'm just storing them in the garage it's 80-95 every day.

gamra,
Turks are beasts! But it looks like you have them licked for now :D

Check out the egg crate set up at http://www.theroachguy.com He glues two crates together, then stands them up on end in his container. I do the same, and it works really, really well. What you have will work, but the set up he shows you works better because it creates more living space and allows more of their droppings to fall through their housing and onto the container floor making it cleaner.

Eric

Raine407

Hatchling Member
augsburg1530":fc064 said:
Raine407":fc064 said:
I am planning on getting my first beardie sometime soon after Christmas... If I get a dubia colony set up in the August-September area, will there be enough nymphs to feed to a baby as a staple?

If I were to do it over again, I would def order a starter kit from http://www.theroachguy.com of dubia's and get my colony going BEFORE we got Spike. So yes, I think your plan is a great one!

The sooner you get your colony set up, the sooner you can feed off it. New baby dragons are EXPENSIVE to feed, so I would order as many adult dubia as I could afford and get my colony going quickly. It will save you lots of cash in the long run. If you get a good colony going, you will be able to feed a new dragon off them in 5-6 months. That is my guesstimation, I would pm theroachguy and ask him to be sure (remember he is on vacation and won't be getting back quickly) but I think I am close to correct on the time frame. It also depends on how many breeding roaches you have, law of large numbers says the more breeders you have the more quickly you will hit critical mass and be producing tons and tons of babies to begin feeding off of. So like I said before, buy as many adults as you can and let them breed away :D

Eric

Thanks! Yeah, I thought it would be preferable to do it that way too... though my mom wasn't too happy when she heard me say I wanted to get some roaches. lol. She's okay with it now though that I've explained what they're for and the amount of money they will save me in the long run.

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok everyone im back sorry its taken so long to answer you the emails and pm's i will have all answered by Thursday if you do not here from me by them please resend your questions i have about 50 emails and 10 or so pm's so i ont want to forget anyone.
take care Jason

Little D

Hatchling Member
Question. If I had some Dubias sent to me and they were all "large nymphs", how long am I looking at before they would actually start to breed and my colony being good enough to where I could feed from it? :?:

atl4747a

Ok just put in for my starter kit order (was kinda scared at first about the idea but now I am excited)lol so my few questions how big of a rubbermaid tote would you recommend and what would be the best way to seperate the babies from the adults to feed to baby bearded dragons. Thanks in advance April

Little D

Hatchling Member
atl4747a":322c1 said:
Ok just put in for my starter kit order (was kinda scared at first about the idea but now I am excited)lol so my few questions how big of a rubbermaid tote would you recommend and what would be the best way to seperate the babies from the adults to feed to baby bearded dragons. Thanks in advance April

Hi April

If you go here: http://www.theroachguy.com/caresheet.htm

You will find pretty much every answer you need. Even tells you an easy way to separate the different sized roaches! :mrgreen:

I have used roaches....or woodies,as a 1/3 feed always
the vitticeps seem to see them better..from hatchling to adult
my big bloke has eaten 128 of the full adult winged ..& then i stopped him eating!

i personally would not use any feed 100%...
i use 1/3 roaches....1/3 rodent...& 1/3 greens/mealworm salad
my adults...unless gravid ..eat live food every 4 days...
ie; sunday=roaches...tuesday=g/m-worms...thursday=rodent..saturday=g/m-worms

EclpsPrinc

Juvie Member
The Dubias are way cool! I started my new colony just 1.5 months ago. They are tucked away in a closet and no one has to know they are there. They are actually pretty neat looking. I almost feel bad that I'll be feeding them off eventually. Yesterday, I was lifting out a folded paper towl that had the previous days' greens on it to toss out and found a mama tucked inside who had just had her babies. She was surrounded by about 30 snow-white nymphs. It was pretty neat to see. I look forward to the day when I'll have to keep crickets no more!

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
EclpsPrinc":ff21e said:
The Dubias are way cool! I started my new colony just 1.5 months ago. They are tucked away in a closet and no one has to know they are there. They are actually pretty neat looking. I almost feel bad that I'll be feeding them off eventually. Yesterday, I was lifting out a folded paper towl that had the previous days' greens on it to toss out and found a mama tucked inside who had just had her babies. She was surrounded by about 30 snow-white nymphs. It was pretty neat to see. I look forward to the day when I'll have to keep crickets no more!

Very cool. Roaches are so interesting, I love mine. I don't mind feeding off the because there are always new ones appearing as if by magic every few days!

I love to drop a nice size nymph in Spikes viv and watch him pounce. When we feed him from his feeding container, he is so lazy that sometimes we have to pick him up and turn him around so he can easily feed (big fat, slow dragon!). But when we put a few in his viv on the cool side, he springs off his basking rock in a milisecond and devours his prey, very cool to see him move that fast and be that leathal!

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom