Any people happy they made the switch to roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Since you see tons of people here talking about crix, and worms and all the problems they have keeping them alive and having to worry about getting healty shipments, I’m wondering how many of you are like me out there and are glad you made the switch to roaches???

If so please post why you’re Glad you and how easy it is to have roaches as a feeder. I have tons of questions everyday from people who still want to know how easy it is to breed your own colonies and what are the benfits of roaches. People that have questions could find tons of answers from what you post.

My roach is the non-climbing Dubia I find they have less of a sent when disturbed and are not as shy as the discoid. I had lobster as well and they where very easy to breed but I found myself always looking to make sure they where all ate up and none where escaping drove me crazy. i have no worries with the Dubia

I started off with about 75-100.00 worth, which was about 3 months worth of crickets for me at the time. I put them in there housing feed them, kept them warm and after about 4 months I had well then enough to supply my two adult dragons. I never bought crickets again,That was about 4 years ago and still going strong.

It cost about 7.00 a month to take care of them, which consist of water crystals,
carrots, and my roach chow mix I also throw in all the scraps from the greens when making the dragons daily salad. I was spending about 25.00 a month on crickets X 12 months that comes out to 300.00 a year I no longer spend on crickets it’s a good thing to I need that money back with these gas prices :angry5: lol
Thanks and take care
Jason

bigd83

Juvie Member
just the idea of roaches in my house wakes me wanna go buy a can of Raid! Do you have the nutritional fact rundown versus crickets?

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Na its no that bad I would rather have a non-climbing roaches in my house the a tote full of crickets that you have to clean out every other day and smells like feet lol.
80% of the feeder roaches on the market will not infest your home unless you live in fl, most of the roaches are tropical can would not make it without your help. I can say the turkstain roach has been rumored to infest homes and also the lobster. I had lobster for a couple of years and never had a roach problem but then again I live in va. And was very careful none escaped.
This is why I like the Dubia they cannot climb smooth surfaces and would not make it without your help. Below is the link to your question about the nutritional breakdown of the top 5 feeders out there. Hit the link and scroll down tot the bottom of the page. It was conducted by DoubleDs.org and Blaberus.com two of the most herd of roach and insect colloctor in the U.S….
enjoy

here is the link
http://doubleds.org/contactus.html

TangosMom

Hatchling Member
My buddy at the reptile store I do business with set up a roach colony for me and it went crazy. My adult beardie loves them. We have some called false deathhead roaches that cant climb or fly. It saves us a ton on feeders.

Beetle_Juice

Hatchling Member
roaches are the best...esp dubias in my opinion.....was a great day when i finally fed off my last cricket. and the colony doesn't smell and doesn't make any noise...all in all they simply the best feeder, lots of meat little shell, cant escape unless you REALLY give them a hand and they will die eventually if they escape (esp if they exposed to the cold for a long period of time) and one of the BEST thing i find about these guys is that they help you get over any phobia you may have had about roaches and bugs in general and are actually quite interesting to watch how your colony interacts together and works....just my opinion....also the cost is SO much less than any other feeder.

agro

I first started off with 100 dubia and 7 hissers. When i saw how much my beardies and leo loved them i ordered 500+ more dubia and 250 disciods and 1000 turks. Yes i have a roach problem :lol: My dubias,hissers and turks have taken off now i am waiting for my discoids to mature and breed.

They are way better than crickets no smell and no chirping :blob5: . Plus they are easier to fill up your herps. When they see me break out the roaches they purk up compared to crickets and supers but i still keep supers handy till my colonys booms then no more buying feeders. :headbang: My only regret is my 6 year old telling everyone we have roaches :lol:

phate1301

Well I'm only very new to this but have just had a great roach experience to pass on (never thought I'd say that line...lol).
We have a baby beardie new to our home and have had a very hard time getting him to eat. Everything that should be set up in his enclosure is exactly as it should be but the best we could get him to eat was a very small number of crickets in any one day. In the last 36 hours he would have been lucky to consume 4 of the little buggers.
My order of roaches finally arrived today but even as I was dusting them I wasn't expecting our beardie to show any interest. Lo and behold, the little guy literally tripped over himself getting to them as soon as I set them down. He gobbled down 13 in about 3 minutes before he'd finally had enough. While he was chasing them down I dropped another cricket in with them to see if he'd eat it but he wouldn't go anywhere near it.
Seems he doesn't like crickets so we'll stick to roaches from now on, and just offer him other live feeders as he grows to see if his tastes change.
Oh yeah, the roaches were way easier to handle as well.
Cheers, Scott

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Im glad to see there are a few people out here that are glad they made the switch. I also agree with the above post about watching them very interesting how the interact. I guess it could be our version of a ant farm.
Very funny about the little one telling everyone you have roaches I know on Mondays if I tell someone I have to get home and fill roach orders you should see there face as well when I say I have to get home to feed the roaches.
I can only imagine what my daughter teacher will be thinking when she starts school this year. I know she will be telling her all kinds of story like my daddy sales roaches, or we have roaches and worms, and I help daddy feed the roaches at our house and then you have the other topic, we have dragons at our house lol man I might need to write all this down and fill the teacher in so she dose not think my daughter is crazy.
I have enjoyed everyone post and look forward to more.
Take care Jason

agro

Theroachguy":5dea1 said:
Im glad to see there are a few people out here that are glad they made the switch. I also agree with the above post about watching them very interesting how the interact. I guess it could be our version of a ant farm.
Very funny about the little one telling everyone you have roaches I know on Mondays if I tell someone I have to get home and fill roach orders you should see there face as well when I say I have to get home to feed the roaches.
I can only imagine what my daughter teacher will be thinking when she starts school this year. I know she will be telling her all kinds of story like my daddy sales roaches, or we have roaches and worms, and I help daddy feed the roaches at our house and then you have the other topic, we have dragons at our house lol man I might need to write all this down and fill the teacher in so she dose not think my daughter is crazy.
I have enjoyed everyone post and look forward to more.
Take care Jason

I think its funny but my wife does not!! :lol: She said GREAT now they think we are infested with roaches.I said not yet but were getting there :blob8: My daughter thinks there so cool, the hissers are her favorite ofcourse.

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
Switching to lobster roaches was probably the best thing I have done with the feeding of my gang. I had Crickets for a long time, and there was so much work involved in keeping Cricket City from stinking.
100_4424.jpg

Plus, I had more crickets escape than Roaches, Roaches breed quick so I save money, they eat just about anything so I feed them scraps from my BD salads. So that cuts down on waste.

Biggest things are, They DON"T STINK and they DON'T MAKE NOISE!!!!!!

I actually enjoy watching them as they come out and eat or molt or get jiggy wit it. It is like 21st century ant farm.
100_4421.jpg

darkbalde666

Hatchling Member
hope ing to try roaches :D

other half looks like :puke: even at the mention lol
i wount even have them in the house they would be in the workshop

i ordered 500+ more dubia and 250 disciods and 1000 turks.

i know about dubia, lobs but what are disciods or turks

plus 500+ dubia whats the cost on that in the us over hear thats like £80 ($160) or more

spyder79

Extreme Poster
discoids are quite similar to the dubia. They are a large bodied and very meaty roach. Non climbing non flying and no smell. The draw back to the is that they are slower to breed than the other roaches. But once you get it started you wont stop. I started out by ordering 500 nymphs to feed to dr. evil because he was doing the same thing as stated above. Would no longer give crix or supers the time of day. So, to my wife's dismay, i tried roaches. He absolutely loved them. I turned around and bought another 500 thinking i would be able to start the colony this way but unfortunatley enough dr. evil ate damn near all of em in 2 weeks time. So i found a guy online that was selling adults. I purchased 60 adults. From there i waited about 2 months and finally started seeing itty bitty roaches. 8 months later i find myself with well over 1000 roaches and thinking about started a secondary colony of dubias just to have them for my future breeding project.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Peter Griffin":7e608 said:
Biggest things are, They DON"T STINK and they DON'T MAKE NOISE!!!!!!

"Thank God for coachroaches" Not something that I thought I'd ever say in this life time :roll:
My kids think that I have totally lost it, breeding coachroaches. But beside the fact that their easier an all they're also better for your beardies than crickets. Dr. Wentz was telling me yesterday about what a high risk for parasites a beardie is when fed crickets.
All my beardies are glad that I changed to roaches, me too!

Barbara

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
fresnowitte":f5683 said:
"Thank God for coachroaches" Not something that I thought I'd ever say in this life time :roll:
My kids think that I have totally lost it, breeding coachroaches.

Barbara

Wow,, they sound really expensive. I guess you know your fashion. Do they have GucciRoaches too? :p

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was also told that by my vet a few years ago, don’t know how true it is but the vet told me more then 75% of the case of pin worms came from infested crix. Of course al dragons have a certain parentage of worms inside but the crix will help those #’s climb.
Before I had 2 dragons go threw a high infestation of the worms since I switched years ago I haven’t never had any problems with parasites

allot of people talk about how expensive dubia are but think about it as a long term investment. If your dragon goes threw 1000 crix a month at the going rate of lets say 20.00 shipped not to mention your dragon will only eat about 600 at most due to them killing off. Times that by 12 you just spent 240.00 when you can take 100 let the breed for 6 months and then you’ll never have to worry about buying ever again. So if your dragon live let say 6-8 years you just saved over 1,400.00 in the course of that one dragons life. Once you add two or three dragons to the mix the $$$ you save are way up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom