anti-greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
my beardie, is going to be 3 in august.... he's always been hesitant about his greens or picky. i've tried kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion greens, cactus pad, escarole, chicory... u name it, i've tried it... heck ive tried romaine, and nothing.. it's just been a waste of money on trying to get him to eat his greens... i've tried carrots and peas as well... the only thing he really eats is superworms occasionaly.. he's active, his uvb is new, his basking temp is correct... any suggestions on what greens might work for a super picky beardie???

lexiegirl

If you find out please let me know!! My beardies are going through the same strike. As babies they would eat both their greens and their crickets, no problem. Heck, I couldn't even give them enough greens as babies. Now they are 2 years old (brother and sister) and neither one of them will eat any greens or veggies. They eat their worms and bearded dragon bites, but that's all. I did try something new tonight, don't know if it will work yet or not but I took some cabbage, cantelope, grapes, and beardie dragon bites and mixed it all together instead of leaving it all seperate. So far though, no luck with that. I am open for any suggestions too! Thanks!!

techdave

Juvie Member
What are the temps? What are you using to measure them? How old is your uvb? What kind is it?

Maybe try going to another store to get the greens. Or try organic, or try not organic. Make sure that the pieces are small enough to eat easily.

anderous

similar problem here, my guy is about a year old and has never eaten greens since i have had him, despite me trying everyting i can imagine, dont know what to do really

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
his basking spot is anywhere from 100-113 depending on time of day, ambient temp, etc. uvb is 2 months old and its a 10.0 reptisun tube... i used to use the mega-ray but that caused issues... he's just not about eating greens, i think im just gonna try giving him greens for a week and see how that works, no supers and go from there.

lexiegirl

I think mine may be from just being stubborn and they are always full from their worms, because I'm scared to not feed them live food when they don't eat. I think I've created the world's two most spoiled lizards lol.

techdave

Juvie Member
Maybe try putting the worms in the vege bowl. He might accidentally eat some greens. Or try butternut squash.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Many dragon refuse to eat greens because they know that sooner or later, the bugs will come. Its really, really important that you guys get your adults on greens. If the dragon is at least a year old and in good health, then try tough love. Simple stop feeding bugs and only offer greens. Dragons are stubborn and can go quite awhile with out eating, don't feel bad and don't panic if they go a week or more without eating. In the long run, they will be happier and healthier once they start eating greens.

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok got it! no more supers... just collard greens now (what i picked up and he used to eat SOME when he was smaller)

Kymbie

Hey, I have a beardie, who point blank refuses to eat greens, or any veg.
However not from lack of trying, I put all sorts in from rocket, to kale, to trying grapes and raspberries.

Anyway, i was wondering if since i grow my own potatoes, you know the leaves that grow on them? well I was wondering if he could eat those? he seems to be taking an interest, but I haven't let him eat them just in case.

Any thoughts?!

anderous

try just using one bowl period, for greens and crix ect. I just did that with mine, and he instantly recognized it as the food bowl and has been eating quite a lot of greens the past few days, he just didnt realize that the other (veggie) bowl had food in it. so from now on, just one bowl, anyway, thats what worked for me

I have on beardie that was extremely difficult to get greens into as well. I tried so many things with no results, even different fruits! He wouldnt take a thing that wasnt an insect. Then i tried squeezing some juice from fresh pineapple on the greens, and he ate them!!!! I continued to do this for a while, now he'll eat greens without the pineapple. Sometimes i add it as a treat. :p Maybe this would work for someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom