anti-crix campaign! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebrithil

Hatchling Member
soo, because i hate the brown crix my pet store sells i've been looking for alternatives, as you may or may not know :p

i bought mealworms, then learned they were dangerous, so they're just living in my draw xD

i ordered some claci-worms over the web (phoenix worms) my pet store guy (a pro-reptile and exotics keeper) says that he doesn't like to use them because like mealworms they have a high risk of causing impaction? though i've never heard this was the case from you guys.

today i had to buy some food for my beardie, i decided that, unlike crix, locust don't terrify me xD

would locust be a adequate replacement for crickets?
they look pretty much the same, so i'd guess yes, but i want to be positive :p

thanks,
Chris

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
i've never used locusts personally, but that's just because they aren't widely available in the states. i do know that many people in the uk use them. in fact, i've heard that they are quite a bit better for dragons than crickets.

Ebrithil

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
awesome :D

they are a lot prettier than crickets, and they don't smell as much, and they're silent :p

plus, the adult ones are huge.

wes

Juvie Member
As far as Calci-Worms go, I think your pet store guy has them confused with something else. They are very soft. Or does he not know to let them dry off a little before feeding so the material they are housed in comes off?

Ebrithil

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i thought he had them confused aswell, i've heard they're pretty soft xD
i also heard they don't even have bite?

Livey

Extreme Poster
calci worm wont cause impaction, its fine for them to eat them,
as for locust,
i have used them for about a year now, i HATE crickets, although locusts are slightly more expensive, they have alot more `meat` on them if you like...
and there much easier to catch :wink:
Have you tried roaches??

Olivia x

Ebrithil

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
in my pet store all the live food costs the exact same, and from what i have seen you get the same amount :p

my mum doesn't like roaches, but i'm semi tempted, and i hear they are pretty good for your bd?

Livey

Extreme Poster
I buy my locusts off line, i did have 3 so bought about 100 a week costing about £12.00 where as crickets are only like £9 or something..Roaches are greeat, there easy to keep and you will never have to buy leave food again....
Also some worms can be used as staples...
How old is your dragon?

Ebrithil

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
approx 18 weeks, he's 8 inches including tail, from nose to vent he's about 3.6 or something (cant rmember right now)

the pet store guy was fedding him medium/large crickets.

i've had him for two days and he only ate one small peice of salad, i'm trying these locust (the crix were way too big) tomorrow morning

Livey

Extreme Poster
yeah medium to large is way too big, Only feed them food that's the size between the eyes
So your going to need some Tinnnyy locusts lol
I hope you sort some food out for him :)
When your little one is 16 inches plus you can fed him supers, but only when he is big
:)
good luck!

Olivia x

Livey

Extreme Poster
Just because adults can digest them alot easier,
They have a kink in the digestive system that doesn't straighten out till there older,
And Yes they are Morios lol
And they have alot more nutrients than mealies

x

Ebrithil

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok, awesome :D
i fed him phoenix worms today, the first time he has eaten meat since i got him :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom