Another UK topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

olblueeyes

Hi, I'm Simon and I have a beardie, just over a year old, called Ente which I got for my 2 kids who come to stay every weekend or so. She's housed in decent sized viv with all the usual stuff. Temp is fine, light, lamp etc all fine. She grows, sheds, fine.

But I still worry about her..
... cos you read all about these beardies that seem to eat loads, but mine just eats twice a week, and even then rarely manages much more than 15 decent sized crickets and a few bits of broccoli. She seems pretty healthy, varies between being active and well, lizard-like. We get her out a reasonable amount, she runs around, has a bath now and again, but she just doesn't seem to want to have like 25 crickets twice a day. a few mealworms plus a full main course caesar salad!!!!

I sort of think she's probably ok, but .....well...any thoughts for any others with perhaps more experience?

Coley

Hey Simon,

Dont worry we all worry about our dragons, it just shows we care about them.

As far as the eating concerns, when a dragon reaches adulthood it is normal for them to eat less live food.

From what i have read from others on here, Adult Dragons normally only eat live food once or twice a week as they require much less protine than jouvie beardies, aslong as you provide him / her with fresh greens everyday and offer the livefood once or twice a week (what most people do is feed veg 7 days a week and then on sat and sun offer the live food).

aslong as he/she is active, shedding, bowl movements all normal and looks and seems healthy then you shouldant have any problems :)

Coley

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
As adults, they should be eating around 50 live food items per week so it should be offered at least every other day. My beardie is nearly 2 and has live food every day - around 5-6 extra large locusts or morio worms. She gets a bowl of veggies a day but doesn't eat much of it. Eating twice a week doesn't sound enough to me. As a baby, the most my beardie would eat in a day was around 30 crix whereas some babies eat 100+. When I switched to locusts, she ate less but they are much bigger and more nutritious. What are you feeding your beardie? It may not like what you are giving it. My beardie stopped liking crickets at around 10 months old but loves locusts, silkworms and morio worms. I even tried her with some crickets a few months ago and she didn't want to know. They seem to get bored if you offer the same thing all the time.

Also, I don't think 1 year is classed as an adult - your beardie should be eating at least 30 live food items per day as well as veggies.

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
lol if you offer locusts alot beardies will simply refuse crickets, why would you eat toast when you can have a gourmet meal

Adults should be offered every 2-3 days, we always have veg on offer as adults their diet should be half and half (i'm not sure wiggles agrees with this)

at 1 year its kind of sub adult they can keep growing an aren't fully developed till at least 18 months (therefore protein still pretty important)

do you feed black or brown crickets? we use black as our staple now they are meatier than the brown and not as fast and jumpy (on average) but its is good to have some variety, we give locusts occassionally and also a few meal worms occassionally too (although never very many as they can't digest the chitlin) a tub of meal worms can last forever if you put them in the fridge Wiggles also likes them when they turn to beatles, he's not much of a fan of his veggies but every beardie is different

ultimately try offering some variety in livefoods, have veg available everyday your beardie will eat what it wants, and now for the difficult but try not to worry

EllasMummy

HI all,

I'm Emma 24 from hambleton a tiny village about miles outside of sunny blackpool.... well sometimes its sunny mostly raining lol. we have 3 beardie Milly and Tilly both citrus and Don red phase. Milly and Tilly are 19m and have just started to bread. we currently have 2 clutches of egg's. First lost are hatching as we speak 3 out of 10 hatched so far you can see pics and updates in breeding section. Don is 7m old pain in bum very hard to handle. we also have a carolina corn that's 18months.

Hope to get too know you all soon xxx

newmummy

hi all,
we just got our first beardie but looking for another.
Look forward to meeting others from the uk.

newmummy.x

LaziDot

Hey, My names Dan, im 20 from NORTHAMPTON ;).. Not a beardie owner yet but that will change soon (tomorrow) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom