Another MegaRay problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
OK guys, going to keep it quite short and simple, as im getting a little fed up with the "wonderful" MegaRay.

Finaly purchased a MegaRay from Animal Attractions (Australian Distributor) 2 weeks ago.
Was playing up, flickering on and off, and very dim.
Contacted Matt from Animal Attractions, said that it could have been the saftey mecanizm inside the bulb, that may have got stuck (the saftey mecanizm in the bulb that makes it turn off occasionaly when it gets to hot)
Took it back, and got a replacment.

Was working beautifuly all last week, well around 5 days.
On the weekend i noticed that it was flickering again, and making a Buzzing/clicking noise? (Is this normal? or should it not make any noise at all?)
I couldnt belive it!
So i took the bulb out and tried it in a different socket that i bought from my Hardware store. Didnt work at all!
I tested it in my bathroom lights (not sure if you have them in the US/UK but they are strong heat lights) So i took one of them out, and put in the MegaRay.
It worked perfectly, no noise, turned on straight away, left it in there for about 45mins, and no flickering nor dulling of the light.

So im guessing it could be the connection to the holder that i have it in, in the enclosure.
So it tested another bulb (just regular spot bulb) and it worked fine in the same holder that i use the Megaray in!

I just dont know what to do anymore?..
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Could it not be getting enough power?
Could it be the holder that i have it in?

Here is a pic, of what my enclosure looks like. (4ftL x 2ftW x 2.5ftH)
023.jpg

Its a 100w SB MegaRay, and a 75w spot lamp in the black holder, that comes on at 11.30am - 3.30pm to bump the temps up the 45c.
Without it, the temps are 35c on hot side, and around 21-23c cool side.
Temps are being measured with a twin probe thermometers.

And here is a pic of what i use to hold the megaray. (well similar to it!)
hs_FlangedCeramic.jpg

Now im wondering if this is an appropriate holder for the Megaray?
If it isnt does someone mind posting a one that they use, and have had no trouble with?
Also, is mounting inside the enclosure the best idea? I notice alot of people have it in a dome fixutre, with a whole cut out of the top of their enclosure..

Sorry for ranting on, but im just so annoyed and disapointed.

Cheers guys,

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
A couple of things...

1. Be sure that your fixture is rated high enough for that light. Personally, I try to stick with a fixture that is rated for at least 150w.
2. How positive are you about your temps? That seems like an awful lot of wattage for the temps you are getting. How are you taking those temps? You really shouldn't need much more than a 40w incandescent, in addition to your megaray, to get your temps up to the 42-43 mark.
3. I am VERY concerned with the distance between your bulb and your dragon with the way you have the basking spot set up. For bearded dragons, I personally, would not have any less than 40cm(16") between your dragon and that bulb.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for replying..

1. How do i tell what the fixture can handle? Could you send me a pic/link to the fixture that you use.

2. It winter here, well getting into winter and its freeezing outside! Reason why im usig a gigher wattage bulb then normal.
Im using a dual probe thermometer to check the temps, which is permantly in the enclosure.

3. The distance at the top slope of the log is 13inches from the bulb - the picture looks like it may seem closer than it is.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
andrewlloyd":39iqsulb said:
Thanks for replying..

1. How do i tell what the fixture can handle? Could you send me a pic/link to the fixture that you use.

2. It winter here, well getting into winter and its freeezing outside! Reason why im usig a gigher wattage bulb then normal.
Im using a dual probe thermometer to check the temps, which is permantly in the enclosure.

3. The distance at the top slope of the log is 13inches from the bulb - the picture looks like it may seem closer than it is.

1. I have one of these: http://www.lnt.com/product/light-fixtures/45020/zoo-med-porcelain-brooder-lamp-10-inch.html

2. Makes sense. As long as you are sure about the temps.

3. That is about what I figured and it is WAY too close. First, the minimum distance from the manufacturer is 14" which is more appropriate for something like a uromastyx. Second, If the top of the log is 13" to the bulb, the dragons head/eyes are 2" closer than that. So now his poor eyes are only 11" from the bulb. The UVB is through the roof at that distance and will damage his eyes. Make sure the dragons head is no closer than 16"...I promise your dragon will thank you.

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
You need a ceramic socket rated for a high wattage/heat bulb. I tend to stay 50-100watts above the wattage of the bulb I'm using. You can get these at home improvement stores, someone should be able to point you in the right direction. I uses a dome with a ceramic socket. If the socket can't handle the wattage your bulb is not going to work. You can also contact Bob with reptileuv and he will run you through step by step. You need a minimum of 12 inches and a max of 18 from the bulb surface to your basking surface.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much for replying!

Silly me, i didnt even take in account the height of Chace and how closer that would make him!
Ill fix that when i get home from work.

May i ask what you guys think is best, mounted inside the enclosure or in a dome fixture outside the enclosure?

Cheers guys, been a great help!

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
andrewlloyd":3a97vg4b said:
Thanks so much for replying!

Silly me, i didnt even take in account the height of Chace and how closer that would make him!
Ill fix that when i get home from work.

May i ask what you guys think is best, mounted inside the enclosure or in a dome fixture outside the enclosure?

Cheers guys, been a great help!

I have mine in a dome outside, the bulb is so big that it takes up a lot of height inside the viv so I opted dome.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Bit of a dumb question but did you just cut a circle out of the roof and place the hood over it?
Or did you make any special bracket?

Cheers

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
andrewlloyd":2e3yis9m said:
Bit of a dumb question but did you just cut a circle out of the roof and place the hood over it?
Or did you make any special bracket?

Cheers

I cut a hole slightly smaller than the dome, then pulled the dome up through the hole and secured the dome from the inside of the cage.

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
I believe there may be an issue with the bulb itself also. I had one for less than one month and came home yesterday to an 88* basking spot. My MegaRay was not on. I though that my ceramic socket dome fixture shut off due to heat, but it was cool to the touch and never came back on. I tried it in another fixture and nothing either. I just emailed reptileuv today and I am hoping to get a replacement, because Mia really seemed happy with the bulb (SB 100W).
This is my first beardie and I have had the MVB set up since I've started. I like the idea, but they all seem to have their quirks. I would consider the reptisun setup, but the cost of thee MVBs and then changing away from them would be a waste of so much money. I still have a Powersun that I received when we brought her home and that is in place of my MegaRay right now. I can't afford to toss these two bulbs and start over. From what I hear, the people at reptileuv have been awesome and I really hope to get things figured out shortly.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Could i see a pic of how you mounted it?

I kinda understand how you did it, but wouldnt the dome fixture get hot and start to possibly burn the wood?

- i dont think it is the bulb anymore because i have tested it in a bathrrom light and works fine.
I have it setup with a tube and basking light atm, as thats what i had prior to getting a MegaRay..

mark83

Hatchling Member
I like the dome on top, I use a lamp stand (i think zoo med makes em). It works better for me cause I can move it higher or lower depending on the room temp.

I personally am in the process of sending my mega-ray back and going with reptisun 10.0 but I'm hoping to go back when/if they get there original glass again.

I agree with GoFast def get that bulb at least 16" from the closest part of your dragon and if you notice eye closing or eye issues keep backing it off until you get it right. Good luck.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your reply mate,
ive taken it out forthe moment and using a uv tube and basking lights.
Tomorrow ill be cutting a hole out and putting it in a dome fixture.

Will let you know how i go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom