Anorexic approx 2mo with failure to thrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Not much has changed with Strax. He is shedding on his tail. He still is not eating feeders but is eating up his Repti-Boost. We just finished our first purchase of Repti-Boost. We got a couple more of them since he is eating a little more of it now that he is bigger.

Praxis is getting a little more particular with food. Now he is not wanting crickets AND dubias. He still will go for the BSFL, but that season is soon to draw to an end. If he won't start eating the crickets and dubias, we might have a hungry boy on our hands.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great that Strax is shedding his tail. Isn't that something that he still isn't eating feeders. When you had silk worms, did he eat those on his own? Did you ever try hornworms? Good that you have more Boost on the way. Any idea of his wt?

So, Praxis has decided he doesn't want crickets or dubia. Good that he's still eating the BSFL though. Hopefully he will start eating the others again soon. Their tastes & mood can change very quickly.

Thanks for the updates on both of them.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Strax weighs 24 gms. No more growth, but we have been having a hard time getting him feed twice a day. Just been busy lately, but no a good excuse.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Hey Nathan! it sounds like Strax is holding his own. :D Perhaps you could start leaving real food in a dish in his tank if you're having trouble getting in his feedings every day. He might just surprise us and munch a bit if he gets hungry this time. They can change just like kids do. Thanks for checking in!

I have been thinking a great deal about Strax lately. Nessie is HUGE now compared to that tiny baby we got a couple months ago. She eats a lot of salad and loves Dubais.

We now have some Leopard Geckos as well and what reminds me of Strax is one baby who is sooo thin and just will not eat on it's own. I force feed it Reptiboost. The best response I get is when she licks her chops if I get some food on her. She sheds every week and I mean blows the whole skin! Not sure if she is long for this earth.

Give Strax my best. I do hope that little rascal starts to eat soon.

Maggie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

It sounds like Strax is holding on! He has a lot of spirit then. Are you giving slurries with protein right now?
Is he basking normally too? If you haven't already added some bee pollen into his slurries, try that to help with immune system boosting.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Strax is 27 gms as of yesterday. Not much change, definitely not any worse. Still seems on the lazy side to me. Can get very active during feeding-time, though.

Drache613, I wouldn't say basking normally. Sometimes he is in a warmer spot, but he stays on the floor most of the time (it is fairly warm there below the basking lamp, though). Yest, he was up on a "branch" higher than I've seen him in a while. Still giving him the Reptiboost. Tried a dubia tonight, but he wasn't interested, but that was after his boost. Haven't added bee pollen. Do you know a source that is small enough to go through the end of a syringe?

StarStitcher, would love to see pics of Nessie. It has amazed us how big Praxis has gotten, but Strax is going much more slowly, but he is growing. That is for sure. I hope your sick gecko gets better. Praxis just isn't much on greens except dandelion greens (which don't show up reliably in the stores). I wish he were better about that. He will go after butternut squash occasionally, but not 2 days in a row.

Esther19, that is not a bad idea. We'll see about trying that out.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Hi Nathan! Thanks for the update. Always good to hear from you. I get bee pollen at WalMart in the regular vitamin section. It comes in capsules, and I just open the capsule and dump some of the granules in Cissy's food. I use about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp., depending on how it comes out. You can't overdose on it, though.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! E

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Esther,

Are the granules small enough to go through the end of a 3cc syringe you think?

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. DO MORE OF THIS, STRAX :blob5:

1471307_431777440255956_67584971_n.jpg

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He did it again today, too. Earlier before I got him out to feed, he was just laying on the floor with his head down. Now he is propped up. I sure like to see him like this; like other little beardies at the pet stores. Tried dubia today. No joy. Still doing the Boost great. Might try some "tough love" after the holiday to see if we can get him to eat feeders.

1422533_431825630251137_93549702_n.jpg

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Oh, he looks good, Nathan! Strax pull ups? I'm not sure about the size of syringe you mentioned, but the granules (more like a powder) do dissolve. I use a pretty small syringe and have no issues. What a heartening picture!

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, we were gone for 5 days last week and had an animal sitter who did a wonderful job with Strax. He gained 3 gms. He now ways 30 gms. Going to have to up his feeding quantity or frequency now. I think the quantity might not work well because after about 2ccs, he really starts slowing down. Getting in a 3rd feeding will be tough, too. This isn't to give him "just enough" but to give him double the intake to promote growth. He has a lot of catching up to do.

Also good news, he is shedding his head and legs, which he hasn't done in a while.

Look at the trick he can do!!!

1392755_434120813354952_1567294496_n.jpg

Esther, thanks for letting me know that the bee pollen dissolves. Didn't know that.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Despite not having a "major" shed, Strax has grown another inch. He is now 8.5 inches. Still a shrimp for his age, but I'll take it.

I sure wish I had gotten his weight before feeding him today, but I forgot. I hope I remember tomorrow.

I think it is time for some tough, love. We plan on going to the store for some small crickets tomorrow, and withhold boost for a few days to see how he does and see if we can entice him with some yummy crickets. Although I am not a mealworm fan, we might try that too, just to whet his appetite.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great picture! It looks like he is doing pretty well right now. I am glad to hear he has grown another inch anyway, without a shed.
I hope that he grows some more for you. At least he is eating a little bit more now. A few meal worms would be ok for him, if he likes those alright.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom